RIC FLAIR HOSPITALIZED 'We Need Your Prayers'

kidd0

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to see Ric back up, as he has a book and ESPN 30 for 30 to promote.

Christ man how insensitive can you get? So you're glad he's still alive because he has some shit to promote? That's either *censored*ed up with a severely poor choice of phrasing.

• 3 weeks later...

People sent us the following today:

PEOPLE Exclusive Wrestling Legend Ric Flair Fighting for His Life After Decades of Alcohol Abuse: Health Scare Tamed 'Nature Boy

(NEW YORK) Wrestling legend Ric Flair may have once commanded the ring but after the cameras turned off, things just got out of control.

Decades of social drinking finally caught up with the 16-time pro wrestling world champion this year, landing him in the hospital and near death last month.

I crashed in an airplane and broke my back, Ive been hit by lightning, Flair tells PEOPLE in this weeks issue. But this is totally different. Anything Ive been through before is nothing like this.

On Aug. 11, the 68-year-old was rushed to the hospital with stomach pains. Within hours, Flair was in the early stages of kidney failure and on the verge of congestive heart failure the result of years of alcohol abuse.

Flairs family members were told he had only 20 percent odds of surviving, and he was placed in a medically induced coma while they including daughter, pro wrestler Charlotte Flair took to social media to asks fans for prayers.

Doctors subsequently removed part of Flairs bowel, and inserted a pacemaker. Now, in recovery at a convalescent center in Atlanta, Flair tells PEOPLE of the entire ordeal, It scared the s out of me.

He adds, But Im not out of the woods yet.

Now, the man once known as the Nature Boy, needs a nurse to help steady his shaking hands so he can sip water from a glass. He admits, I didnt think I was an alcoholic, but obviously I was.

Flairs problem with alcohol started while he worked to build a camaraderie with his fellow wrestlers during the early days of his career in 1972. It helped them bond, he says, noting though, I never drank when I was working.

But as soon as work was over, I went right to the mill, he says, adding that hes long struggled to do anything in moderation, and admitting to a failed rehab stint four years prior.

Alcohol also served as a tonic of sorts when it came to coping with his injuries and intense physical pain from his job. Ive never taken a pain pill in my life, he explains. Id just take a shower, flip my hair back and go to the best bar in town.

Now, the father of four says he is dedicated to doing better.

Ill never drink again, says Flair. I never want to go through this again.

Source LOP/People Magazine/.com

http://people.com/sports/ric-flair-alcoholism-health-crisis/

Ric Flair appeared on The Dan Le Batard Show this week to talk about how much he would drink in a day.

Flair stated on the show that drinking was to him a way of life when he started in the business. He never drank before wrestling, but would heavily drink afterwards.

This is what he had to say:

I just drank too much. Ive done all my math, [i was drinking] between 3,700 and 4,000 calories worth of booze soda, splash of cranberry in my body every day. Like 20 drinks a day.

Following his recent health scare, Flair spoke with People magazine on why he is no longer drinking again. You can view his interview with them here: https://wrestlingrumors.net/flair-near-death-vow/.

If youre interested in hearing more from Flair on this topic, we highly suggest you check out the video below of the interview in full.

https://wrestlingrumors.net/ric-flair-much-drink/

As much as everyone wants to say/claim/act like Ric is all good now...I can't shake the feeling that he's probably not. You don't just get better from alcohol damage. I hate to say it...but, I won't be surprised in the least bit, if that report comes down the line in the near future.

Agree with this. Alcohol damage is permanent. I just hope he quit in time.

Archived