General Unpopular Opinions

NostalgiaGod

I used to be 'fat' and got fat shamed by bullies in high school. I always use to be the type of kid to ignore them because they were the try hard losers imo trying to look cool and act tough. I didnt care what others thought of me. The only opinion that meant anyhthing to me was my own, but I was too young to realize my weight was getting out of hand.

Finishing high school in 2010, I was 138kg (304lbs). But it wasnt until early 2012 I actually decided to change my eating habits and exercise routine to better my own life and social life.

Surprisingly the weight came off easier then I expected. Of course that did stop and it started taking longer and longer to drop weight.. but I can happily say that in 2017, I am in a good place. From a kid who use to be 138kg (304lbs) to now 84kg (185lbs).

2qtxtn5.jpg

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to be 'fat' and got fat shamed by bullies in high school. I always use to be the type of kid to ignore them because they were the try hard losers imo trying to look cool and act tough. I didnt care what others thought of me. The only opinion that meant anyhthing to me was my own, but I was too young to realize my weight was getting out of hand.

Finishing high school in 2010, I was 138kg (304lbs). But it wasnt until early 2012 I actually decided to change my eating habits and exercise routine to better my own life and social life.

Surprisingly the weight came off easier then I expected. Of course that did stop and it started taking longer and longer to drop weight.. but I can happily say that in 2017, I am in a good place. From a kid who use to be 138kg (304lbs) to now 84kg (185lbs).

2qtxtn5.jpg

That's awesome. Congrats on that^^

You know how everytime something happens in an West-European and/or USA/Canada/maybe Australia/New Zealand, you see viral posts talking about how we're all concerned when it happens here, but we don't give a shit when it happens in Nigeria, Mexico or a third-world country?

And then something like the mega bombing in Somalia happens, killing +300 people and injuring 260 people, which is a next level bombing by the way and people go like "why aren't you praying now?" or "why isn't the media talking about this?".

I see comments like that and I get the sentiment, but why should we care? Or better yet, why would you expect people to care? I think there is a logical explanation for that. People are more impacted and interested in what happens in a local enviroment or in parts of the world their local enviroment is a part of, than in the world beyond that. You can look at that from different scales. Local news vs. regional news vs. national news. Local is you being shocked if someone breaks into a house on your block/street and not if it happens anywhere else. Bigger scale, tax rises in your state, but you don't care if it happens anywhere else. Bigger scale, someone rapes and kills a child in your country, it gets reported. It happens in a different country, it does not. Bigger scale, Islamic terrorism strikes a major western city. You care, because that city is like yours. You have Muslim immigrants too. You're part of the west. This could happen here too. Islamic terrorism strikes Lagos, Nigeria. You're not part of Africa. You don't care. They don't report it as much.

All of that is logical. It's about what people associate themselves with and about what is relevant for the target demographic of the media. I don't think "ignoring" issues in Bangladesh for example is necessarily a bad thing, but we act like it is.

If you turn it around, people in Nigeria are very interested in what is happening now in Somalia. Both African countries that has suffered from Islamic terrorism. Both wouldn't give a shit when a refugee stabbed and killed people in München, Germany. But most European countries that accepted refugees will. Relevance. So I'm not blaming people for getting upset over it, but it's not an unnatural way to handle things. Makes perfect sense when you think about it.

I wouldn't say it's very "unpopular". And what you just said is all well and good, and it's a rational explanation... but the question from the top of the post remain. "Should I or shouldn't". Neither can be 100% true imo.

I'm rather irked by, when I try to talk about a situation that inetersted me that it's not local. It's maybe on another continent, but can somehow actually imapct on the rest of the world (maybe to your locality maybe not). Or like... all kinds of problems in the US... And the other person would say "I really don't care what happens over there".

And I'm more annoyed by when people have the accented "I don't give a *Censored* attitude" about it. I can actually understand why someone wouldn't care because of the reasons you stated above, but people can passive agressivly shit on your interests without you being preachy. But those kind of people are usually not to good to be around too, so... :lol:

The point is... if you care, cool, if you don't, I get it.

You know how everytime something happens in an West-European and/or USA/Canada/maybe Australia/New Zealand, you see viral posts talking about how we're all concerned when it happens here, but we don't give a shit when it happens in Nigeria, Mexico or a third-world country?

And then something like the mega bombing in Somalia happens, killing +300 people and injuring 260 people, which is a next level bombing by the way and people go like "why aren't you praying now?" or "why isn't the media talking about this?".

I see comments like that and I get the sentiment, but why should we care? Or better yet, why would you expect people to care? I think there is a logical explanation for that. People are more impacted and interested in what happens in a local enviroment or in parts of the world their local enviroment is a part of, than in the world beyond that. You can look at that from different scales. Local news vs. regional news vs. national news. Local is you being shocked if someone breaks into a house on your block/street and not if it happens anywhere else. Bigger scale, tax rises in your state, but you don't care if it happens anywhere else. Bigger scale, someone rapes and kills a child in your country, it gets reported. It happens in a different country, it does not. Bigger scale, Islamic terrorism strikes a major western city. You care, because that city is like yours. You have Muslim immigrants too. You're part of the west. This could happen here too. Islamic terrorism strikes Lagos, Nigeria. You're not part of Africa. You don't care. They don't report it as much.

All of that is logical. It's about what people associate themselves with and about what is relevant for the target demographic of the media. I don't think "ignoring" issues in Bangladesh for example is necessarily a bad thing, but we act like it is.

If you turn it around, people in Nigeria are very interested in what is happening now in Somalia. Both African countries that has suffered from Islamic terrorism. Both wouldn't give a shit when a refugee stabbed and killed people in München, Germany. But most European countries that accepted refugees will. Relevance. So I'm not blaming people for getting upset over it, but it's not an unnatural way to handle things. Makes perfect sense when you think about it.

I think most people don't care about what tragic act happened in other countries if the attacks don't really fit their narratives or if the victims aren't white. If the attacks happen in a country with white people or if the victims are mainly white people, you'll get people to care. If the attackers are Muslims, even more people will care because it fits their "Muslims are evil!" agenda, though it's a gamble if they'll say anything if the victims are also Muslims.

2qtxtn5.jpg

Good stuff man!

For some reason my post was erased.

I think most people don't care about what tragic act happened in other countries if the attacks don't really fit their narratives or if the victims aren't white. If the attacks happen in a country with white people or if the victims are mainly white people, you'll get people to care. If the attackers are Muslims, even more people will care because it fits their "Muslims are evil!" agenda, though it's a gamble if they'll say anything if the victims are also Muslims.

handle things. Makes perfect sense when you think about it.

It's not mostly because of that. Jiggy hit on the head. It also has to do with the fact that terrorism and stuff is more than daily-occurrence over there and we are de-sensationalized to it by now. Just as we are now becoming de-sensationalized to every shooting and random gun-violence that's happening in the US (save for ones with biggest bodycounts like getting the lot of media attention like Vegas, Pulse .etc). In-fact, the same applies over there when there are more abnormal body-counts over there or instances of terrorism that are relatively abnormal by the standards of over there(like the mass student kidnapping in Nigeria) .etc

For some reason my post was erased.

handle things. Makes perfect sense when you think about it.

It's not mostly because of that. Jiggy hit on the head. It also has to do with the fact that terrorism and stuff is more than daily-occurrence over there and we are de-sensationalized to it by now. Just as we are now becoming de-sensationalized to every shooting and random gun-violence that's happening in the US (save for ones with biggest bodycounts like getting the lot of media attention like Vegas, Pulse .etc). In-fact, the same applies over there when there are more abnormal body-counts over there or instances of terrorism that are relatively abnormal by the standards of over there(like the mass student kidnapping in Nigeria) .etc

Kind of that too, but I also don't see as much mention of white-on-people of color crimes as I do people of color-on-white crimes. Even horrible acts of terrorism in various parts of Africa barely gets attention, and neither do people of color doing heroic things. A Muslim boy in Pakistan saved his schoolmates' lives by using his body as a shield from the explosive, and yet I rarely saw that covered.

I'm not trying to be anti-white or anything, just so we're clear. Just pointing out what I've seen and observed.

As far as major burger franchises..

Burger King is truly king, Wendy's is queen, Carl's Jr and Jack in the Box are princes and McDonald's is a merchant

UK McDonalds is pretty good tbh. I hear so many Americans complain about Maccies but Brits can't get enough of it from my experience.

The Yankees are always going to be America's team. As far as I know, they've been the most successful franchise in the league's history with more legends than any other team. Isn't Babe Ruth one of the most well-known baseball players? I'm not sure about football, but it might be the Pats, if not the Cowboys.

^ That's exactly why people hate them, though -- they're dominant. They have a lot of money, they get the big name players, and they win a lot.

Here's a recent poll where they were voted both most hated and, rather paradoxically, most loved team. lol But if you notice, they won most hated by a much larger margin than most loved: http://www.latimes.com/sports/mlb/la-sp-baseball-hated-favorite-teams-20170721-story.html

And here's an article on why they're hated: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/393399-10-reasons-why-the-yankees-are-americas-most-hated-team

I feel like...(as someone who doesn't even watch baseball), I do agree with the assessment that the Yankees are "America's team". Loved or hated...they feel synonymous with the USA more than any other baseball team...(or even sports team in general). I think that's what the intended meaning of "being America's team" was/is. When you think of the USA, and you think of sports teams...I'm pretty sure the Yankees are the very first name that pops into your head. When I hear the word "baseball", I think of the Yankees, crackerjacks, and hotdogs.

Doesn't matter why they hate them. The fact is, contrary to what you said, they're not America's team. America hates them. lol

If we ask non-Americans which baseball teams they have heard of, what do you think they'll say?

https://www.facebook.com/BackTTPast/videos/1457546874332511/?hc_ref=ARRZ7pade5BzVkWf5OYDDbGvOUMbczQfoyLKY5KBklxKxOijGV_XhuYSjiGOA9v_N4I

The 90s were the best ever.

Archived