General Unpopular Opinions

NostalgiaGod

I agree with Gen here. You're allowed to have a type (personally I've found that idea to be a bit silly but that's a different topic), but to completely exclude a race is racist. So yeah saying 'I have a thing for Asians' is fine, but saying 'I will never date an Asian ever' is racist, and also pretty stupid considering you could meet someone who isn't your type and hit it off with them. And to say 'I don't find any Asians attractive' is a huge generalisation based on race, also known as...racism. It's also something I wouldn't encourage because like Gen said, it's a fine line, and I feel saying it's OK just gives people a reason to justify their racism (not necessarily you Beardo).

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is how I see it. Shaft is black, James Bond is white and Willy Wonka is Gene Wilder.

I agree with that. It's just the character. Instead of trying to get a black man to play James Bond, I think a better question to take up is why not try and create an original character as a positive role model for other races? Why did Xander Cage in XXX have to be white?

Idris Elba is a fine actor, but he just isn't James Bond. In exactly the same way as (Shindol says) Tom Hardy isn't right as Shaft.

I find racism abhorrent, in any form - but this is simply about authenticity of the character as we know it. It's the same as historical films, you have to have a white actor play Abraham Lincoln. You couldn't have a white guy play Martin Luther King.

^The issue is that most of these established characters are white. If we take the superhero genre for example, people say 'why can't they just make a new black/gay/whatever superhero?' That idea is fine, but it's the fact that there's a big difference between Superman, who has fully infiltrated pop culture, and any new superheroes that are created in 2017, that just won't have the historical, societal and cultural impact as all the established superheroes who are, surprise surprise, mainly straight white males. And this extends to every facet of pop culture. The quintissential superhero? White. The quintissential secret agent? White. I could keep going but I'm sure you see my point. I understand the 'authenticity of the character' argument, and I think there's a fine balance between that and providing a reflection of modern day society, but tbh I just think it's a bit silly seeing people essentially argue against the diversification of pop culture for the sake of protecting the authenticity of a fictional character. I can understand, and agree with it, to a degree, but sometimes it goes too far (not saying that's the case here).

Oh, and then when something is being adapted from another culture, let's take Ghost in the Shell as a recent example, guess what happens? Yep, they have to be white as well. And the arguments can be 'they need to appeal to mainstream audiences' and 'they need an established star' - well in regards to the former, if an actor needs to be white to be appealing, I don't think I need to say anymore on that. And in regards to the latter, well it's no coincidence that a disproportionately high amount of stars (across all media forms, not just movies) are white. And to add to this, what happened to the authenticity argument?

Also, your MLK example is beyond ridiculous. Just completely stupid. My entire post isn't directed towards you but seriously, what kind of shit is that?

EDIT: Actually, to add to that last point, there have actually been several films where real-life stories have been adapted to film, but the non-white people are portrayed by white people in the film. 21 and Stuck just name a couple, and those are just off the top of my head. There are probably a hell of a lot more.

I agree with Gen here. You're allowed to have a type (personally I've found that idea to be a bit silly but that's a different topic), but to completely exclude a race is racist. So yeah saying 'I have a thing for Asians' is fine, but saying 'I will never date an Asian ever' is racist, and also pretty stupid considering you could meet someone who isn't your type and hit it off with them. And to say 'I don't find any Asians attractive' is a huge generalisation based on race, also known as...racism. It's also something I wouldn't encourage because like Gen said, it's a fine line, and I feel saying it's OK just gives people a reason to justify their racism (not necessarily you Beardo).

Lol can't be me anyways. I'm not into whites. But I'm white myself...

Although I don't exclude them either and have had flings with white girls. I'm into all races. White's just not usually my preference.

But in all honesty, I don't think I see how it's an excuse to justify racism. People can't control who they find hotter or who they're attracted too. Like if someone says, "I've never seen a Greek girl that I found hot". I don't see them as a racist. It just hasn't happened yet or he's just well, telling the truth.

A dude on instagram posted a video about how its racist to have a preference when it comes to who you date. Don't know if this idea is popular or not but it pissed me off.

I'm white. However, I'm not into white girls and never have been. I got my white belt, sure, but my "serious" girlfriends have been black or Asian. For whatever reason, I'm only into white girls if they're tatted up and unique-looking.

I'm not racist towards my own race though lol.

I agree tbh, if you turn someone down just cuz they're say, black then lol.

This happened to me once lol, I Was turned down cuz white. Good times. "would've dated you if you were Asian"

Lol can't be me anyways. I'm not into whites. But I'm white myself...

Although I don't exclude them either and have had flings with white girls. I'm into all races. White's just not usually my preference.

But in all honesty, I don't think I see how it's an excuse to justify racism. People can't control who they find hotter or who they're attracted too. Like if someone says, "I've never seen a Greek girl that I found hot". I don't see them as a racist. It just hasn't happened yet or he's just well, telling the truth.

Like I said before, I think the concept of having a type/preference tends to quite silly, especially if someone is strict about it, but again that isn't necessarily to do with race.

In regards to the last point, it still sounds iffy to me. It just sounds too questionable - is there any need to say it? Why does this person need to be identified by their race? Or well, objectified by both their race and sex? I think it's a slippery slope, cos it can very quickly lead to 'I'd never date blacks' or whatever, and I think then it just becomes racism being disguised as sexual preference.

For example, I read something a while ago about a dating app like Tinder (a gay one I think) that introduced a feature where people could pick a list of attributes to include/exclude in their search, with races being some of them. So you had things like 'tattoos' and 'no beards', but then also 'no Asians', etc. To me, this is racist. And I think the issue lies in race being listed as an attribute rather than, well, a race.

Once again, it's not necessarily always racist but there is a fine line between being acceptable and just being racist.

There's just a fine but important distinction between "I find certain features attractive/unattractive, and they are more commonly found in [insertethnicityhere]" and "I don't find [insertethnicityhere] attractive." The latter just IS racist. Like, certain features I tend to find attractive are somewhat less frequent in black women, but I've certainly seen black girls that I thought were really attractive. And then there are of course some women that don't have these features at all but I might still find them attractive. Point is, having visual preference is fine and normal, and just from an evolutionary view, it is likely you find people of your race more attractive. That is not racist. But finding someone unattractive "because black" or "because asian" or whatever, yeah, that's racist.

I don't find most black women attractive, I won't say ugly but not attractive. Like Beyonce does nothing for me, I just don't find her attractive. That's not racist because it be like saying a gay person is sexist because they don't like men or straight people sexist because they don't like there own sex. You can't choose to pick who you find attractive, if you don't find a certain race attractive it isn't racist because your not really picking who to like.

The idea that you're racist if you're sexually attracted to certain colors of skin over others is absolutely absurd and frankly, idiotic. I happen to find asian women incredibly attractive for instance, and don't find myself attracted to black women very often. To say that makes me racist is absolutely stupid.

The idea that you're racist if you're sexually attracted to certain colors of skin over others is absolutely absurd and frankly, idiotic. I happen to find asian women incredibly attractive for instance, and don't find myself attracted to black women very often. To say that makes me racist is absolutely stupid.

What you described is something that is explecitly stated by the others here as not-racist.

What you described is something that is explecitly stated by the others here as not-racist.

Yes, i'm just adding my way of wording to the pile, as it were. Doesn't help that i'm tired and imgur just threw a cringe dump at me with the kind of idiots that think otherwise.

This is how I see it. Shaft is black, James Bond is white and Willy Wonka is Gene Wilder.

I agree with that. It's just the character. Instead of trying to get a black man to play James Bond, I think a better question to take up is why not try and create an original character as a positive role model for other races? Why did Xander Cage in XXX have to be white?

Idris Elba is a fine actor, but he just isn't James Bond. In exactly the same way as (Shindol says) Tom Hardy isn't right as Shaft.

I find racism abhorrent, in any form - but this is simply about authenticity of the character as we know it. It's the same as historical films, you have to have a white actor play Abraham Lincoln. You couldn't have a white guy play Martin Luther King.

But there are some characters that can be different races. James Bond can be played by anyone, as long as the person has that sex factor or the look. Or, a guy who can be completely masculine and look naturally rebellious can play Shaft. Creating an original character would have more impact if debuted with the established character, like Rhodes with Iron Man.

A dude on instagram posted a video about how its racist to have a preference when it comes to who you date. Don't know if this idea is popular or not but it pissed me off.

I'm white. However, I'm not into white girls and never have been. I got my white belt, sure, but my "serious" girlfriends have been black or Asian. For whatever reason, I'm only into white girls if they're tatted up and unique-looking.

I'm not racist towards my own race though lol.

I agree tbh, if you turn someone down just cuz they're say, black then lol.

This happened to me once lol, I Was turned down cuz white. Good times. "would've dated you if you were Asian"

That's actually racist. like, there's no reason for the person to not date you, but they said no because you're not Asian.

That's also the same thing I'm saying though. Which is being debated...

I said I'm more into other colours than I am white girls. I also added that I can understand why someone might not sexually attracted to a certain race. Like he just said about black women.

I'm confused. Maybe my wording was bad?

-I just wanna reiterate that I think this whole forced diversity/equality thing that's been going on for a while now is stupid and annoying. Like...diversity is definitely good and something to strive for, but when it gets to the the point of people bitching about not having black characters in Mario (*censored*ing Mario of all things) it's just beyond sad.

-I never got the hate for Justin Bieber. I don't particularly like the guy myself, but the internet....yeah I'll just stop myself there. I need to remember the internet is the same place that uses playing Call of Duty as an insult.

Oh there are totally reasons to hate Bieber, its not a internet thing guy is a total prick from telling fans that they don't deserve his autograph or to interact with him to pissing in a mop bucket at a restaurant, to sueing a fan cause they wanted their money back after Bieber cancelled his meet and greets with fans.

Archived