September 11

maskedmaniac

I'm surprised nobody made a thread about the 15th anniversary of the attacks. I realize now that a lot of people in here were probably too young that day, if they were even born at all to remember it.

I was 18 and had just graduated from HS a few weeks earlier (I went to summer-school to make up credits). It was literally maybe a week or two away from me starting college for the first time and my older brother was getting ready for work around 6:50 am, and I could faintly hear on the news what was going on but really had no idea of the magnitude of it all until I got out of bed maybe four hours later.

The whole world had changed in a matter of minutes and for a young person like me about to be on his own in the "real world" it just made things so much scarier.

Still remember a lot of what happened like it was yesterday. I probably won't ever forget it and watching some of the specials on TV about it today kinda make it hard to watch. What does everybody else in here think about it or have anything to say?

Will this thread and up like every other 9/11 thread we had

Not sure what you mean? This is simply a thread to commemorate those who lost their lives on that day 15 years ago. It helps to talk about stuff like this that was a major shock in your life, hopefully others in here want to share their memories of that day.

This is not a day I particularly like recalling. As a person who tends to even forget his own birthday until people bring it up, I'm not.so.attached to dates. But this day will come and it'll be shoved down my throat as a reminder because anything I watch, anywhere i go, has a.potential of some "never forget" poster.

Lots of good people died on 9/11. A lot of good people died in both World Wars. Alt of good people died in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, France, London, Columbine, VTech, etc and I really want them to let this one go. Every time they run this 9/11 tragedy, every mention, every tear shed is an Al Queda victory and I'm tired of.giving them recognition. RIP to.the deceased, but it's just another day for me. People.won't agree with that mindset and they shouldn't have to, that's just me

I was in kindergarten and I think remember them pulling us kids outta class the day after to try to explain what was going on and I think they made us every class recite the pledge. Looking back I understand the spot the school was in, they couldn't ignore it but they also couldn't do much of anything about it either.

It really is just very sad the deeper you think about it, like whether it was an inside job or not, all those people were just expecting a regular day of work, but instead their lives ended in a gruesome manner. I try my best to sympathize with older people because they were affected by it way more than I was.

RIP to all the lives lost.

That's a very interesting perspective and I guess that's why I feel more affected by it then others in here. That was my time to go into the world as a "grown up" fresh out of school, and it all turned very scary right away. It was maybe a couple of weeks before we started seeing planes flying again. The smaller planes scared us even more because of the anthrax threat. Going into big buildings was also cause to pause and think. Some people a block form my house lost relatives in the planes and they had a makeshift memorial outside their house. All they showed on TV for about a week straight was footage of the aftermath and what was left of the buildings, then I remember them saying after days the first thing they were gonna show was cartoons so the kids had something else to watch beside the news.

I was in 5th grade and my teacher was told by another teacher who walked into the room to turn on the tv b/c something had happened in NYC. The tv showed both twin towers on fire and we watched one collapse live on tv, and my teacher turned it off b/c she thought it was too violent for us to watch.

When I came home from school every single tv channel was covering what had happened, even Cartoon Network and MTV. It was insane. I still remember the feeling of nationalism and patriotism in the air after the attack had happened in the next couple of months, that feeling was so thick. People were pissed.

Then I remember the Iraq and Afghanistan wars when they first happened, I remember people *censored*ing HATING Osama Bin Laden, dude was univerally hated as much as Adolf Hitler. I remember watching U.S. forces bomb Baghdad live on TV when the invasion first started and how one of Saddam's generals was on TV saying that everything was fine and how Iraq was fighting back. I remember watching President Bush giving Saddam and his sons 24 hours to leave Iraq or the U.S. would invade.

Quite the times to live through.

I was 8 in 3rd grade, I learned about it after lunch when we were about to go back into the classroom. A classmate said some plane hit a building and people died. I saw more when I got home. The next day in class the teacher talked to us about it. I can't remember much with my memory but that's something I'll keep for awhile.

Always remember my favorite country singer's song Allen Jackson "Where we're you"(That September Day)

I got home from school and not even 10 seconds after switching the TV on we saw the North Tower (the second tower) collapse. I didn't know what to make of it because I was only 6 years old. I remember seeing the utter shock on my mum's face so I just hugged her for a while.

R.I.P. to those who passed away.

I was with my father and my siblings who were both 3 years and 8 months old respectively......and their mother as I was trying to get into a new school after graduating from my old one and heard it on the radio. Yeah, I was 17 years old just to clarify it. Only when I got home is when I saw replay after replay after replay of the 2nd plane just disappearing through the South Tower (including a specific angle that will never leave my mind) and the towers collapsing.

That was so surreal. And I'm amazed that it's been 15 years since that whole thing happened.

I remember being in high school when this happened and it was like the day and the classes came to a hault. Every time I changed class the teachers had it on CNN and we kept watching what was going on.

RIP. To the ones who lost their lives and condolences to those who lost family and friends. I will never forget that's for sure.

9/11 doesn't move me as it used to. What I mean by that is that I've always felt that the "war on terror" or however the *Censored* you'd want to call it, was part of the 9/11 aftermath.

The point is, the recent terror attacks feels like it's a part of a new era of terror attacks, meaning that 9/11 has kind of lost its present day relevance in my eyes. I won't ever forget it, but it also feels more and more like a closed book to me. Like Osama has been dead for a fair number of years and what's Al Qaida even doing these days? They've been replaced by other figures and organizations. I think this is the first year I've had that feeling about 9/11.

I was like 5 and they just didn't tell us. I was probably too young to pick up on the body language of the adults that day. I think I remember not learning about til like a few years later. Which is good cause I was a nervous *censored*ing kid. I was nervous hearing about it already happening, I would have been even more freaked out had I known it was going on in the present.

Like Osama has been dead for a fair number of years and what's Al Qaida even doing these days? They've been replaced by other figures and organizations.

Actually al Qaeda was celebrating the day and threatening that.the atrocity will be repeated a thousand times over. They're still in the Pakistan Afghan border, reunited with the Taliban earlier.in the year, and are using the focus.on the ISIS conflict as a way to make small.moves.in the region. They are.still very much a threat and still have the ability.to execute another US attack. Simply nobody speaks.on them because ISIS are always front and center

Just to put into context why people are still so fascinated by what happened that day you just gotta think about everything that happened, it was pretty much every fear people have all rolled into one. Airplanes crashing down, being trapped in huge sky scrapers as they burned, falling out of buildings, things coming down from the sky and crushing people, being trapped in a cloud of dust, and it all happened in modern times, pretty much everyone alive now was alive back then.

Well the day is coming to an end, RIP to the almost 3000 people who lost their lives and all those who have lost their lives since in connection to these events.

Archived