Mafia Series (Mafia 3)

ThreeG

I love Mafia-styled games (I played Godfather on PS2) but haven't played any in this series. Are they any good? And should I play the first 2 before this one comes out?

I don't know about 1, but 2 was pretty good. It was kind of frustrating that they made this huge open world and then the story connected to one after the other in such a linear way though, it made it feel like I really didn't have much chance to actually look around it.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Mafia-styled games (I played Godfather on PS2) but haven't played any in this series. Are they any good? And should I play the first 2 before this one comes out?

I don't know about 1, but 2 was pretty good. It was kind of frustrating that they made this huge open world and then the story connected to one after the other in such a linear way though, it made it feel like I really didn't have much chance to actually look around it.

The DLC however, fixed that.

I still play Mafia 1 on my original Xbox to this day. The gameplay is good for the first one, but the PC version is definitely superior. But it's a great Mafia game if you're in to that sort of stuff, it didn't top GTA III however, Mafia 1 was also semi-open world but the story was so linear it took away from the setting the game was played in, as well as the game over all. But other than those things it was great, IMO. I also love Mafia II, DLC's included, and will play that game now like I just bought it.

The Godfather, to me, was wayyy better than Mafia 2. Not to say that the latter was horrible or anything, there wasn't a proper GTA-esque open world element or aura to the former either.

But idk, I just got more enjoyment out of The Godfather. There was just something kind of...bland about Mafia 2 after playing through some missions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Godfather, to me, was wayyy better than Mafia 2. Not to say that the latter was horrible or anything, there wasn't a proper GTA-esque open world element or aura to the former either.

But idk, I just got more enjoyment out of The Godfather. There was just something kind of...bland about Mafia 2 after playing through some missions.

Godfather had better gameplay, Mafia 2 had better story i'd say.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

achievements have been released. and THERE ARE NO ONLINE ones!!!

http://www.xboxachievements.com/game/mafia-iii/achievements/

so i had this game pre ordered from Amazon (the Deluxe Edition) and i got an email today with the delivery date, which said between the 14th and the 18th. the game comes out on the 7th. i ended up cancelling it. i might just hold off from getting it and wait for a sale.

Damn this game is good....I played nearly 5 hours and the story,set and gameplay are amazing.

I believe the game borrowed some features from the GTA series and made them their own.

For me the story has potential to be one of the best in video games for the last couple of years

Loving this so far. I agree I kinda noticed some things kiiiinda similar to GTA V.

I kinda wish they kept the driving speed limiter from Mafia II, helps when driving around cops.

Sucks that there's no clothing customization in this game though.

Loving this so far. I agree I kinda noticed some things kiiiinda similar to GTA V.

I kinda wish they kept the driving speed limiter from Mafia II, helps when driving around cops.

I noticed that compared to Mafia 2 the cops in Mafia 3 are not patrolling the streets so much..

Shit man..I wanted some different clothes for Lincoln but anyway..not a big loss...

I noticed that compared to Mafia 2 the driving is way more smooth and not as we saw it in the trailers

The developers have confirmed that customization will be added in the future via a free patch.

Haven't played much of the game thus far (Just unlocked the weapons carrier) and I like it, but I feel like it feels like more of a "GTA clone" than Mafia II. Mafia II had the classic goodfellas mob feeling, which made it feel different. Mafia III lacks that thus far. Not a bad game by any means, but I wish it had a more organized feel to it, rather than the revenge story. I kind of expected that though honestly.

Also I have to say that I love the documentary feel that the cutscenes in this game have. Never really seen anything like that, but I like it.

Archived