40 man or 30 man Rumble?

Muur

40/30  

56 members have voted

1. 1. 30/40 man Rumble

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you get too many jobbers in 40 man rumbles...but the current roster is definitely stacked. Factor in surprises, and I think you probably have a better time to do a 40 man rumble this year than any other year in the past...that said, I think a 30 man match is probably still for the best...unless they're going all-out with surprise entrants. If they have like...5 really big surprise entrants...then I think a 40 man rumble would be better. If not, then stick with 30. And the women should have a 20 woman rumble.

Like that.

With a split roster, and the increasing tradition of "surprise / novelty" entrants, 40 would work better. 15 from Raw, 15 from Smackdown which leaves 10 for others.

Otherwise you're looking at maybe 12 each and 6 open for others. 12 isn't a lot of opportunity to get other mid / lower tier talent on the PPV.

With a split roster, and the increasing tradition of "surprise / novelty" entrants, 40 would work better. 15 from Raw, 15 from Smackdown which leaves 10 for others.

Otherwise you're looking at maybe 12 each and 6 open for others. 12 isn't a lot of opportunity to get other mid / lower tier talent on the PPV.

About that, I prefer it when people have to qualify for the Royal Rumble. Tag team matches where the winning team both enter, tag team partners pitted against each other for a spot, battle royals where all the people that failed to qualify get one more chance. Same with Money in the Bank, it makes it feel more important when people have to fight for the opportunity to be in the match rather than people cutting a promo saying that they're entering. Obviously the likes of Goldberg, Lesnar and Undertaker aren't going to qualify in matches on Raw or SmackDown but I think the majority of the roster should.

Put in a lot of jobbers? Oh no how dare they give everyone on their roster a main event spot for one night of the year. You know that they're not going to win? How about just enjoy seeing them for once.

I love seeing jobbers in the Rumble. I remember in the first 40 man Rumble, you had guys like Ryder and Chavo run in and get some really cool spots (Zack had the pop up Rough Ryder, Chavo with the suplex frenzy until he hit 3 amigo's), and it just keeps it so fun. Realistically, only 5-10 entrants are ever seen as possible winners anyway, so why not have some fun with lower carders who are totally gonna take advantage of some rare airtime.

30. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If 10 guys don't make the match, boo hoo.

More room for surprises.
Really don't need more room for surprises. Too many surprises and the match pretty much turns into a spotfest

That's fine with me. I don't watch the Rumble for "great wrestling" or to see a "5-star classic". The most memorable moments of Rumbles are essentially the spots.

More room for surprises.
Really don't need more room for surprises. Too many surprises and the match pretty much turns into a spotfest
The Royal Rumble is nothing but a spotfest already.

More room for surprises.

Agreed.

More room for surprises.
Agreed.

Agreed.

About that, I prefer it when people have to qualify for the Royal Rumble. Tag team matches where the winning team both enter, tag team partners pitted against each other for a spot, battle royals where all the people that failed to qualify get one more chance. Same with Money in the Bank, it makes it feel more important when people have to fight for the opportunity to be in the match rather than people cutting a promo saying that they're entering. Obviously the likes of Goldberg, Lesnar and Undertaker aren't going to qualify in matches on Raw or SmackDown but I think the majority of the roster should.

Agree 100%. But I don't see the problem with even the likes of Undertaker having qualifiers. Makes them look dominant, and it gives lower guys a match on TV with top stars.

Spots are what matter in the Rumble

There's an element of that with all multi participant matches. Again however I'm going to hold up the 1992 Rumble match as the prime example of what a Rumble match should be.

Not withstanding the fact it was for the title itself, or the stacked who's who list of participants - but the way the match was constructed, It tied together so many angles and stories; off the top of my head;

Ric Flair's debut, and the seemingly impossible odds.

Jake the Snake looking nervous every time the buzzer went off in case it was Randy Savage - then him hiding when it was.

Davey Boy coming off a big Battle Royal win, and entering #1

Interactions with Flair and Piper

The various tag team members meeting each other.

Roddy Piper looking to win two titles in one night

Shawn Michaels breaking out on his own.

The Hogan / Sid feud beginning.

I could go on all night about how that is the bar for the Rumble.

Undertaker setting the seed for the fallout with Jake, and then being eliminated by Hogan.

More room for surprises.
Agreed.

Agreed.

Exactly.

5 surprises ain't enough?

Probably but then it means there's only 25 'normal' entrants and then how many of those will be less than a minute? we'll get like, 20 'proper' entrants at more than a minute probably.

Archived