Comic Discussion

Lunchbox

I've gotten really hooked by Red Hood and The Outlaws. I don't know how many issues I have, but however many issues that are in Vol. 1 - 5 is how many I have of them.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

X-Men '92 series will bring the X-Men animated series art style to modern comics:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/13/8205009/marvel-x-men-92-cartoon-comic-secret-wars

Yeaaaah boooiiii

What does everyone think of all the changes DC are putting in place? Such as the new looks for Batman, Superman etc...

X-Men '92 series will bring the X-Men animated series art style to modern comics:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/13/8205009/marvel-x-men-92-cartoon-comic-secret-wars

Yeaaaah boooiiii

What does everyone think of all the changes DC are putting in place? Such as the new looks for Batman, Superman etc...

I love DC, but I am sick and tired of them changing shit all the time. Not that the changes themselves are that big of a deal (besides the reboots & retcons), it's just that I take a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach to stuff like this.

I don't mind those kinds of changes. Characters need to change over time. The type of changes I do have a problem with, are the type that Marvel is always making (changing the gender, ethnicity, etc. of major characters). Just makes no sense to me.

The majority of the characters that have changed have changed in the past. You probably can't count on one hand the people who've held the Captain America moniker. It also made sense for Falcon to hold it due their longevity as a team. People who have held Mjolnir and gained the powers of Thor include a horse faced alien android and a construction worker. Thor himself was even a frog for a period of time. The mantle of Thor being handed down to a female doesn't sound out of place in the character's history. I will give you Black Fury (Nick Fury Jr) and Ms Marvel. Black Fury is just an excuse to put Sam Jackson in the Marvel Universe and replacing a much better character, and Ms Marvel doesn't fit with the other Ms Marvel's. The current Ms Marvel has shape changing abilities ala Plastic Man, the other Ms Marvels before her were bricks. I also hate what marvel has done to Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver's backstory, but the less said about that abortion of a story, Axis, the better.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Just read issue #1 of Huck. Basically...if you ever thought Superman was a generally shitty character that could be done a lot better, you should check out Huck. Also, I'm secretly (not so secretly) hoping it gets picked up as a tv show...because I missed the boat owning #1 issues for other things...like Walking Dead and Preacher, which are now worth hundreds of dollars. The series only just started, so it wouldn't be for a long time if it ever did become a valuable issue...but that's basically how things work.

Batman was pretty great when i dropped it earlier in the year. If your looking for past stuff a majority of the run of Animal Man was really bizzare but really great. Aquaman when Geoff Johns was writing it was awesome aswell. Made him into a legit threat and not a joke.

Whoa just realized this thread exists. New guy here in this section, what do you guys recommend for a good New 52 comics?

Animal Man (entire run)

Green Lantern (Geoff Johns run)

Wonder Woman (Vol 1- 6)

Batman (Pretty much upto Endgame, recent arc is pretty naff imo)

Aquaman (Geoff Johns run)

Gotham By Midnight (Underrated gem)

Whoa just realized this thread exists. New guy here in this section, what do you guys recommend for a good New 52 comics?

Animal Man (entire run)

Wonder Woman (Vol 1- 6)

Thanks buddy!

Currently reading Battle for The Cowl and Red Hood & Arsenal/The Outlaws. I really need to read the New 52 Joker origins, which comic was it?

Animal Man (entire run)

Wonder Woman (Vol 1- 6)

Thanks buddy!

Currently reading Battle for The Cowl and Red Hood & Arsenal/The Outlaws. I really need to read the New 52 Joker origins, which comic was it?

Detective comics #1 has his 1st appearance in the new 52 with the whole face thing happening aha. I wouldn't recommend reading any more of Tony Daniels run after that as it takes a nosedive imo.

You should pick up 'Death of the Family' though, great story written by Scott Snyder. Also Jokers follow up story 'Endgame'. Really if you picked up the trade volumes of Batman from 1-7, you'll be getting a quality read. If you just want to read Joker related comics though, go with the ones I mentioned above. DC released some meaty paperbacks that include all the crossovers during the 2 arcs I mentioned, if you're wanting the full story.

There's also a few early issues of suicide squad involving some flashbacks between Harley and Joker that may be worth checking out.

Hope this helps

• 1 month later...

I'm generally a Batman reader but I'm interested in getting into a non superhero comic, and I'm looking for a detective, police, agent type comic. Ya know, sort of like law and order, or true detective, or even NCIS. Does such a thing exist? I'm cool if its valiant or just some Indy. I'm not fussy, just no marvel. Thanks in advance.

Archived