Comic Discussion

Lunchbox

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm curious as to how many comics people have. I have four longboxes. Longboxes hold anywhere between 250-300. I also have maybe around 20 TPBs or HCs. I prefer TPBs and HCs to loose floppies.

I use a place called Wordery in the UK for trades, but eBay is good for random 80s/90s terrible book bundles, like image comics terrible Todd McFarlane Bat/Spawn cross over that has some cool panels but dreadful writing. Apparently Batman is Wolverine calling everyone stuff like "Bub". Ugh.

Yeah I'm a TPB guy myself, though I inherited a shit ton of the old Gotham Central and random cheesy Azrael from 02ish I think. But I only recently got back into comics tbh, I'm probably at about 30 trades, 25 of which are DC. I'm slowly but surely getting through all the New52 side titles right now, though I have bought/preordered all the Rebirth Batman titles (and Green Arrow) as i'm super interested in the new Detective Comics with Clayface on the Bat Family, thats super crazy sounding shit, plus the art looks fun.

Also just wanna throw out an under appreciated artist (imo) in Tony S Daniel's. His Deathstroke, new52 Detective Comics, etc are all so good. I believe he's doing Rebirth Justice Leauge now. Big fan of his style.

And speaking of "Vince Russo of comics" (that's such a weird 2004 comparison btw) i'd say that's Frank Miller. He's someone who should have stopped at 1 (Bat) book and never done another cus they're pretty hit n miss. Not that they're all bad, just an aquired taste.

... and this may be blasphemy in a comic thread, but I dare say his work is best imagined in animated film form rather than book form.

You ever go to a actual comic con G? Tons of vendors with binds of old comics.

Nah I havent actually, there are some little British ones but from what I've heard they're not worth going. I do wanna go to SDCC one day though, needy cosplay girls dressed as Harley begging for a Mr. J sounds good. But nah, I haven't unfortunately.

Honestly NYCC might be easier to get a ticket to.

But how was he a double agent and still worthy enough to lift mjolnir?

Bad storytelling.
I hate the reveal. It makes absolutely no sense and was done for nothing more than shock value.
I'm an eBayaholic when it comes to old school comics, and dc collectibles/dc direct. Yeah i'm that type of nerd.

I sometimes use ebay for comics. Though I haven't bought any comics in over a year. I use ebay, milehighcomics (when they have 50% off sales), and comicollectorlive. I try to buy runs (ie PAD's run on Aquaman, Giffen's Justice League International, Greg Rucka's Wonder Woman, etc). I'd love to get all of Starlin's Warlock and the Infinity Watch, but Guardians of the Galaxy made those books more expensive. I also want Giffens' Justice League Europe, and it's cheap, I just haven't bought it.

I've heard Grant Morrison's run on Batman is great, but I've also heard that he's the Vince Russo of comics. What do you think of him?

Vince Russo? That's a stupid comparison. Grant Morrison is a great writer. The problem with Morrison is some of his work is not as accessible as others. Morrison's an odd guy. He takes comics, puts a Silver Age (1960s comics) spin on it, and then tries to force it through an academic filter. The problem with all of his work is he seemingly tries to make it art for art's sake. He tries to make everything deep. Of course, hs most high profile work (Superman, Batman, X-Men, JLA, etc) is not as far out there as something like Animal Man or Doom Patrol.

As far as cons go: I've never went to one. I've had the opportunity to go to Dragoncon several times, but it's on the same weekend as the first weekend of college football.

I'm curious as to how many comics people have. I have four longboxes. Longboxes hold anywhere between 250-300. I also have maybe around 20 TPBs or HCs. I prefer TPBs and HCs to loose floppies.

Have 3 full long boxes and a few loose boxes in my basement. Kinda stopped collecting and got more into trades just for space saving sake. There are a few comics i still want to get, Walking Dead, Saga, Invincible, bigger events.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've really gotten into the new52 run of Earth 2 lately. Anyone read them? Bare in mind I'm not up to the 'society' run yet, just the early books. I've seen a lot of places shit on them but the first trade really drew me in to buy the rest.

I've really gotten into the new52 run of Earth 2 lately. Anyone read them? Bare in mind I'm not up to the 'society' run yet, just the early books. I've seen a lot of places shit on them but the first trade really drew me in to buy the rest.

I've read the first 3 books, and have the 4th. One of my favorite's of the New 52.

• 3 weeks later...

^ they're awesome. I don't get why so many places crap on them. I find it more interesting than main continuity tbh.

I was wondering if anyone has read The Sixth Gun? I've been looking for a western to read as I'm a huge fan of that shit, and this book seems really interesting. So was wondering if anyone would recommend?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It was meant to bury the character as Dan Dido hates Nightwing, so fans bought the comic in droves so that they couldn't cancel Dick's solo series, and then they ended up enjoying it so much that Dido couldn't deny the popularity of Nightwing.

I'd highly recommend Nightwings rebirth stuff thats currently going on, especially the stories once he's back in Bludhaven (can you believe he was NEVER in bludhaven at all during new 52?!)

Had no idea Grayson went back to Nightwing. Will be picking up the trades since i stopped with Grayson.

Yeah, classic blue costume too not the new 52 red crap. He's back on the Titans (not teen) with Wally West who just returned in July after being stuck in the speedforce foreverrr.

It was meant to bury the character as Dan Dido hates Nightwing, so fans bought the comic in droves so that they couldn't cancel Dick's solo series, and then they ended up enjoying it so much that Dido couldn't deny the popularity of Nightwing.

I'd highly recommend Nightwings rebirth stuff thats currently going on, especially the stories once he's back in Bludhaven (can you believe he was NEVER in bludhaven at all during new 52?!)

Didio isn't a big fan of any of the original Titans it seems. Pre-52, Gar (Aqualad) was killed to make way for Blaqualad not long after his wife and child were killed, Wally West was replaced by Barry, and Roy (Arsenal) had his arm severed and his daughter killed. Post-52, Gar, Donna, and "real" Wally didn't appear until the last two years.

• 1 year later...

I'd like to discuss or read others discuss happenings in comic books or just comic book stuff in general.

Read

Power-_Rangers-_Shattered-_Grid-1-600x92

It's the start of a major story ark. The previous issues are good but were building and leading to this whole different beast. This is basically Final Crisis or Infinity War for the franchise. Lord Drakkon is such badass character and villian that I renamed my user name after him!

I've never read a Power Rangers title tbh, I've not seen anything Power Rangers related since the original TV series. I was gonna pick up the Justice League / Power Ranger cross over TPB eventually as I like Tom Taylor (other than his Wolve--- Honey Badger stuff) but from what I've heard most of the PR titles are really solid.

Right now other than the weekly DC stuff, I've been going back and reading the Ultimate Marvel stuff and it's leaps and bounds above anything they've printed in the last few years. Such a shame they merged the universes and now Miles is basically a side character.

This power rangers series by BOOM is very solid. It feels more like X-Men comics than typical power rangers cheese. The new villain of Lord Drakkon is dark and serious instead of a stereotypical PR baddie and there's an awesome twist about him. The Justice League/Power Rangers crossover was actually pretty damn good.

I stopped going to my comic book shop and now just digitally buy a graphic novel every few months but I read free comics all the time on a website I know ;)

Archived