X-Men (Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix)

Lunchbox

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought this was terrible.

Did you grow up watching the animated series or reading the X-Men comics, perchance? Because I don't see how anyone who grew up watching the 90's series could be unhappy with this movie. I watched it yesterday, and the nostalgia alone made me giddy.

I thought it was very decent to be honest and it kept me entertained throughout the whole movie, whereas Civil War struggled in that aspect. It felt like most of the characters were there for a reason and with a purpose in mind. Without spoiling anything I can definitely say that this movie fleshes out the Magneto character even more in a very good way.
Apocalypse as a villain was fine, but with semi-cringey dialogue.

I'd say give it a watch if you like Marvel and the Fox adaptation of the X-Men universe.

This movie and First Class are the only time the X-Men have been done any justice in film, IMO. As for Apocalypse himself...I still wish he looked and sounded more like the animated series. (Why change that?). But, whatever. He wasn't bad.

I expected him to be more of a villain though. They made you almost empathetic with his cause. I never thought of Apocalypse like that. He just always seemed like a huge dick.

I really want to see it. I think the last two X-Men movies were pretty good and even if this one is just a dumb action movie I'll be cool with that. Aesthetically this one reminds me a lot of the animated series, so maybe it's just luring me in completely on nostalgia.

I *censored*ING LOVED THIS MOVIE

- Apocalypse was done decently, wished he was bigger but whatever

- that post-credits scene opens up so much for the future. Mr. Sinister, X-23, maybe X-Force movie.

- Quicksilver not telling Magneto that he's his son was kind of anticlimactic to me.

- Archangel was pretty useless

- Jubilee didn't do shit, what

- the women in this movie were badass, especially Jean Grey

- Magneto's scenes were soo good

- WOLVERINE TORE SHIT

^ Okay...

But,

Jubilee has still never done shit.

If she had scenes where she actually did anything other than just shoot sparklers out of her fingers, it would be blasphemy.

She could also get captured/knocked out. I seem to remember her doing that a lot in the animated series

I loved First Class, and I never did see Days of Future Past, but here are my thoughts:

- I loved the Wolverine Cameo.

- I thought Apocalypse (the villain) was a little anticlimactic

- Though Quiksilver was hilarious, I found the scene in which everything was slowed down to be a bit stupid.

- Sophie Turner as Jean Gray is my new crush.

- I hated the guy who played Scott Summers. He really boiled my piss, and I have no idea why.

- Jennifer Lawrence was hot as hell in that opening scene.

- The plot was solid, and I enjoyed the ride.

- I hated the way everyone used their powers to rebuild the house at the end

I rewatched Days of Future Past and I'm kinda bummed that they didn't end the series with that one. It wrapped up everything so perfectly. Realistically though I see how that won't happen. Superhero movies are the big thing now and Fox only has X-Men and Fantastic Four (which hasn't worked for them). We're going to have X-Men movies until this trend ends or one of them bombs. Weird how X-Men will be a film series that is likely to span over 20 years. Doesn't that make you feel old?

This movie was incredibly average.

Apocalypse didn't do nearly enough. He showed some of his random powers and then couldn't be killed for A while for whatever reason. He was well acted by Oscar Isaac and he did a couple of cool things, but was just another run of the mill average Marvel villain in the movies (in whatever universe).

The Four Horsemen were average. Storm was okay, Psylocke sucked, Angel did ... stuff?

Sophie Turner as Jean Grey was good. Once you get past the American accent was one of the better characters. It was nice to see Sophie Turner in normal clothes she looked hot as hell.

Nightcrawler was awesome. One of my top comic characters.

Magneto was the best part of the movie yet again. By far.

The Quicksilver scene was fun.

Is no one else just tired and fed up of seeing Wolverine in the Weapon X facility? I just want one movie without Hugh Jackman's face. This is what, the third time we've seen him escape from the facility?

Average film

• 1 year later...

Yeah i was talking about the current ones. Honestly i might like the more then Strewart and McKellan. They did so good in First Class i actually gasped when Xavier was shot in the spine, then remembered that he actually is paralyzed and this was gonna happen the entire time.

I would miss some of the cast and do like the franchise but wouldn't be sad for a whole reboot.

I have no doubt Kevin Feige/Marvel would make an MCU series much better and way closer to the source material.

X-men are my favorite comic book team/group and so I'd mark out so hard. Wolverine is one of my favorites but would be very nice to have Cyclops in a big role as the leader and not as a teen again

Archived