U.S. Politics Discussion

PaperThinWalls

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what i liked about Obama too and what many democrats are good in.
Those little jabs, tongue in cheek humor etc.
If only with everything they would have this much sass and fast thinking wits.

Compare it to Trump and other republicans who are just mean assholes who bark at people like snotty brats.

Wall Street is absolute trash. And the entire series of events during the pandemic has proven it. To even imply that the US economy is "good" or "strong" at any point in the last year is laughable. The stocks have never been indicative of the true economy...and never will be. Half of this experiment was about making money, and the other half was just about proving that the stock market is the cause of 90% of our problems. 

Saw something about US forces being unhappy that Chinese aircraft  were operating  over the South China Sea.

Bruh...it has "China" right in the name. Why are we always acting like we own everything? Like...I know that China is up to some shady shit at any given time...but, how are we copping an attitude when Chinese people are operating in an area that is literally called "China Sea"? Lol.

the issue with 

3 hours ago, Generations said:

Saw something about US forces being unhappy that Chinese aircraft  were operating  over the South China Sea.

Bruh...it has "China" right in the name. Why are we always acting like we own everything? Like...I know that China is up to some shady shit at any given time...but, how are we copping an attitude when Chinese people are operating in an area that is literally called "China Sea"? Lol.

that's true lol, but it is a tricky one. while it has to do with the US fearing of losing it's military presence in that region... China actually can't just claim the waters as their own. various countries lay claim to it's parts, some more than others. China, Vietnam, Taiwan, Singapore, Thailand, Phillipines... 

China obviously has the the largest military in the region so also letting them just claim it as their own, would be dangerous in the military sense, but it would also disrupt free trade with other countries, which have enormous value. That said, the geostrategic importance of that is pretty big. 

Now, it's also worth noting that there are Sea Conventions Laws by the UN that were established by which the teritorial boundaries are set 12 miles offshore, exclusive economic zones up to 200 miles offshore. And that's why China is literally creating islands so they would expand those borders. 

So yeah... it's not an easy one lol

Republicans trying to retaliate against Ilhan Omar instead of Marjorie Greene is *censored*ing disgusting. I'm so over this entire party. You could have agreed that Trump and his like-minded minions were a mistake that never should have happened...and you could have begun to bring some credibility back to your party. Instead, you're doubling down and proving exactly what's wrong with you all. Good work.

I like, too...how Tuberville said he was unfamiliar with what she was being accused of, because "the weather is really bad"...and he "didn't have time to read the news."

I just can't stand how blatantly full of shit this entire party always is.

This is 2021, bro...you aren't waiting three months for the news to come in.

8 hours ago, Generations said:

Republicans trying to retaliate against Ilhan Omar instead of Marjorie Greene is *censored*ing disgusting. I'm so over this entire party. You could have agreed that Trump and his like-minded minions were a mistake that never should have happened...and you could have begun to bring some credibility back to your party. Instead, you're doubling down and proving exactly what's wrong with you all. Good work.

I'm not surprised - detract as well, and try to keep or gather support from Islamophobes. 

3 hours ago, KingKhan18 said:

Mitch McConnell denounced her, so that's something at least... but this maniac should not have been elected to public office in the first place. I saw one of her online posts mocking a Parkland survivor, *censored*ing disgusting.

That and voter suppression are probably why she won. 

One of my biggest pet-peeves right now are fossil fuel workers asking when they will be "getting" their green jobs to replace the fossil fuel jobs they are losing. I don't know, man...you could have had a green energy job ten years ago, if you had any common sense. No one is responsible for the bad decision you made to go into a line of work that was literally always going to be obsolete. Furthermore, no one is just going to hand you a hard-hat and say "you are a solar man now". You still need to learn the skills necessary and apply for the job like anyone else. You made a shitty career choice that you were always going to pay for. Sorry bout your damn luck. No one is capable of making an obsolete energy source desirable or relevant.

18 minutes ago, Lunchbox said:

Depending on the company you sometimes are legit just able to apply for a different job and move away from power plants. Like my old company like 80 people jumped from the fossil side of the company to the electric or gas side with no issues.

I'm assuming jobs like that are related to the electric side of the operation, as the electric portion wouldn't change much. If your job is something to do with electricity, it doesn't matter much where it comes from...it only matters that you know how to safely convert it, etc. But...you know, I doubt that a guy working on an oil rig, or digging coal down in a mine are going to be qualified for much else.  It just peeves me to hear some of these people. Like...tons of people lost their jobs during the pandemic, and those people never had a chance to prepare for that. Fossil fuel has always been a dying industry. I don't have time to listen to the moaning.  These people could have future-proofed their careers better.

Well my company would put people in proper training for the most part. Nuclear is the way to go right now anyway. The one plant in Salem can pretty much power 75% of NJ where normal power plants can only really do small areas. Like my company has like 8 plants and maybe three actively run since nuclear is that good.

I like the concept of nuclear, but the waste is still a huge problem. The best solution we have is to seal it in caves or bunkers...and most of those are prone to flooding with groundwater and polluting the surrounding area anyway. Ideally...a solar, wind, hydro combination is what I'm a fan of. Obviously it requires installing new infrastructure on a massive scale. But...those are the jobs that people want. If they would stop fighting to drag out the inevitable death of fossil fuels, it would make it easier to shift our focus to building that infrastructure. All the time wasted on things like pipelines and border walls could have been put into green energy projects,  and we'd be well on our way.

Anyway...today is the day of the trial. Let's all sit back and watch the justice system fail us.

Wind doesn't require any new infrastructure, just have to build the actual turbines. Waste is a issue but there isn't as much waste that people think is made from a plant. Solar is good but when the panels break they become a hazard to the environment and the output isn't that great. Solar would be great for individual homes, we have solar here and its lowered out bill by hundreds. 

Archived