Wrestle Kingdom 9 1/4/15 Results

AssaultDriver720

Credit: Puro Spirit

kXS9N2K_zps0e45d595.jpg

0) Battle Royal ~ New Japan Rumble:
Order of elimination: Captain New Japan, Jushin Liger, El Desperado, Great Kabuki, TAKA Michinoku, Taichi, Hiro Saito, Tiger Mask IV, Sho Tanaka, Manabu Nakanishi, Yohei Komatsu, Tama Tonag
~ Rules: Time difference with 1 minute intervals, over the top rope, competitors will be announced when their theme song plays.
?Winner: Yuji Nagata (26:09) with the Backdrop Hold on YOSHI-HASHI.
~ Big surprise to see the 66 year old Great Kabuki in the match.

(1) IWGP Junior Tag Championship 4WAY Match: [39th Champions] “reDragon” Kyle O’Reilly & Bobby Fish vs. [Challengers] “Time Splitters” KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley vs. [Challengers] “Forever Hooligans” Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov vs. [Challengers] “Young Bucks” Matt & Nick Jackson
?Winner: O’Reilly (13:01) following the Chasing The Dragon (Roundhouse Kick to Brainbuster) on Kozlov.
~ 1st successful title defense.
[Decent opening match.]

(2) Special 6 Man Tag Match: Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Tomoaki Honma vs. Jeff Jarrett, Bad Luck Fale & Yujiro Takahashi
?Winner: Honma (5:35) following the Kokeshi (Diving Headbutt) on Yujiro.
[Great to see Honma get the much needed win on the big stage.]

(3) Toru Yano, Naomichi Marufuji [NOAH], Mikey Nicholls [NOAH] & Shane Haste [NOAH] vs. Takashi Iizuka, Shelton “X” Benjamin Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr.
?Winner: Marufuji (5:05) following the Ko-oh (Tiger Uppercut Knee) on Iizuka.
[Great to hear Maru’s them in the Dome, love it.]

(6) IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship Match: [69th Champion] Ryusuke Taguchi vs. [Challenger] Kenny Omega
?Winner: Omega (13:20) with the Katayoku no Tenshi (One-Winged Angel).
~ Champion falls on his 3rd title defense. Omega becomes the 70th generation champion.

(7) IWGP Tag Championship Match: [64th Champions] Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows vs. [Challengers / WTL 2014 Winners] Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata
?Winner: Shibata (9:00) following the PK on Gallows.
~ Champions fall on their 7th title defense. Goto & Shibata become the 65th generation champions.
[Finally Goto & Shibata claim the IWGP Tag belts. Much deserved after building themselves up over the last year.]

(8) Special Single Match: Tetsuya Naito vs. AJ Styles
?Winner: Styles (14:25) following a Top-rope Styles Clash.

(9) IWGP Intercontinental Championship Match: [10th Champion] Shinsuke Nakamura vs. [Challenger] Kota Ibushi
?Winner: Nakamura (20:12) following a Boma Ye.
~ 2nd successful title defense.
~ Nakamura put over Ibushi following a highly physical match between the two.

(10) IWGP Heavyweight Championship Match: [61st Champion] Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. [Challenger / G1 CLIMAX 24 Winner] Kazuchika Okada
?Winner: Tanahashi (30:) with the High Fly Flow.
~ 1st successful title defense.
~ Okada left the ring in tears after the match.
~ Tanahashi thanked all the fans for watching the show today, and that New Japan Pro-Wrestling will continue to evolve and grow in 2015.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WK 9 card looks awesome for the most part. Couldn't give a *Censored* about Omega, never got the hype around him so I hope he doesn't beat Taguchi. I'm really looking forward to the other matches thoughs, those should be great but I'm most excited for MiSu/Saku after NJPW teasing it for like forever. I take it that Conclusion Rules is like MMA Rules or UWFi Rules with submissions, KOs and Ref Stoppage are the only ways to win?

Oh and Block B in the Tag League is pretty great and Block A looks meh.

• 3 weeks later...

Press conference just happen and they said there will be no Intermission during the show. Jeff Jarret will wrestle on the show in a 6 man.

Since he is part of Bullet Club possibly teaming with Tama Tonga and Bad Luck Fale ?

After the conclusion of the tag league wonder if the winners now get to face Anderson and Gallows or if they will be Double J's partners instead.

Full card:

0. New Japan Rumble (battle royal)
1. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title – 4WAY Match: Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly © vs. Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA vs. Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov vs. Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson
2. Special 6 Man Tag Match: Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Tomoaki Honma vs. Jeff Jarrett, Bad Luck Fale & Yujiro Takahashi
3. Toru Yano & X vs. Suzuki-gun selected team
4. Special Singles Match – Full Conclusion Rules: Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Minoru Suzuki
5. NEVER Openweight Title: Tomohiro Ishii © vs. Togi Makabe
6. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Ryusuke Taguchi © vs. Kenny Omega
7. IWGP Tag Team Title: Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows © vs. Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata
8. Special Singles Match: Tetsuya Naito vs. AJ Styles
9. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura © vs. Kota Ibushi

10. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Hiroshi Tanahashi © vs. Kazuchika Okada

Also, saw the preview video by GFW. Is JR wrestling in the main event? Geez. Don't get me wrong. I know Ross is a legend and has name value and Bullet Club is mostly from USA, they are indeed both good selling points. But no sports event in the history of ever was watched just because the announcer is good, and Bullet Club actually only participates in less then half of an almost five hour show. They have to make newcomers aware about the rest of the event too. They barely talk about Okada-Tanahashi, and other matches got no shine AT ALL, in various videos they made, and I watched most of them just to make sure. Why not sell people on the tradition and history of New Japan, or, I don't know, talk about how Nakamura is really important too, talk about the shoot legend that is Sakuraba, but also talk about fellow legend Suzuki for more than 20 seconds. Also, they are building the Bullet Club this much, but with them being heels and this being Wrestle Kingdom, they will probably lose most if not all the matches, and then, you will want their rivals to look like a big deal, or else you just shot yourself in the foot by having the most talked about wrestlers in your promotional material lose to "nobodies".

I'm hyped about the PPV transmission, but I'm really disappointed by GFW's build-up overall. For all of the talk about this being "Japan's Wrestlemania" and the history of Americans there, you would think they would focus more on explaining why the event got to where it got, and the backstories of the real stars of the show, largely unknown to the new public, the native NJPW wrestlers.

Full card:

0. New Japan Rumble (battle royal)

1. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title – 4WAY Match: Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly © vs. Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA vs. Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov vs. Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson

2. Special 6 Man Tag Match: Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Tomoaki Honma vs. Jeff Jarrett, Bad Luck Fale & Yujiro Takahashi

3. Toru Yano & X vs. Suzuki-gun selected team

4. Special Singles Match – Full Conclusion Rules: Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Minoru Suzuki

5. NEVER Openweight Title: Tomohiro Ishii © vs. Togi Makabe

6. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Ryusuke Taguchi © vs. Kenny Omega

7. IWGP Tag Team Title: Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows © vs. Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata

8. Special Singles Match: Tetsuya Naito vs. AJ Styles

9. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura © vs. Kota Ibushi

10. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Hiroshi Tanahashi © vs. Kazuchika Okada

Also, saw the preview video by GFW. Is JR wrestling in the main event? Geez. Don't get me wrong. I know Ross is a legend and has name value and Bullet Club is mostly from USA, they are indeed both good selling points. But no sports event in the history of ever was watched just because the announcer is good, and Bullet Club actually only participates in less then half of an almost five hour show. They have to make newcomers aware about the rest of the event too. They barely talk about Okada-Tanahashi, and other matches got no shine AT ALL, in various videos they made, and I watched most of them just to make sure. Why not sell people on the tradition and history of New Japan, or, I don't know, talk about how Nakamura is really important too, talk about the shoot legend that is Sakuraba, but also talk about fellow legend Suzuki for more than 20 seconds. Also, they are building the Bullet Club this much, but with them being heels and this being Wrestle Kingdom, they will probably lose most if not all the matches, and then, you will want their rivals to look like a big deal, or else you just shot yourself in the foot by having the most talked about wrestlers in your promotional material lose to "nobodies".

I'm hyped about the PPV transmission, but I'm really disappointed by GFW's build-up overall. For all of the talk about this being "Japan's Wrestlemania" and the history of Americans there, you would think they would focus more on explaining why the event got to where it got, and the backstories of the real stars of the show, largely unknown to the new public, the native NJPW wrestlers.

I think Jarrett worked himself into a shoot thinking this is NWO all over again in the 90s. Using GFW to promote Bullet Club mainly. And you're 100% right, with Bullet Club being heels they're more than likely going to drop all but one of their matches (Kenny Omega to win i'm feeling and stir leadership woes) like they did last year when Devitt dropped the title and the Bucks were the only ones to win if I remember correctly to retain their titles. Nakamura, Okada, Tanahashi, Sakuraba, the NEVER openweight should all be getting shine.

- Chad Dukes of CBS Radio Washington DC 106.7 The Fan and ChadDukesWrestling.com spoke with Global Force Wrestlings Jeff Jarrett. The full interview is at this link but here are a few highlights:

What GFW will actually be like:

Global Force will be its a standalone. I think thats a nice enough term for it. With its own roster, with its own sponsors, own venue, running shows everything that goes with a promotion. But at Global Force Wrestling we also have a fundamental philosophy thats a 180 from whats been done over the last 10-15 years. Most promotions act like theyre the only promotion that exists and no other promotionsthey certainly dont talk about them and if they do they dont talk about them in a negative light. Weve got a different philosophy. Weve recognized and partnered with the best promotions in the world, New Japans at the very top of that list. Theyre obviously the best promotion in Japan. AAA, in Mexico, a red-hot promotion in Mexico. We have partnered with independent promotions around the world. Our South African partner, were going to be making some announcements on that in the days and weeks to come. Yes, were going to be a stand alone promotion, and thats going to roll out in 2015, but were also going to partner and what better way to step onto the grand stage and create even more brand awareness, partnering with New Japan bringing WrestleKingdom 9.

The January 4th New Japan Tokyo Dome show:

Ill give you two matches on this show that are in my opinion, Wrestling 2015 and beyond. The first match on the show is guys that youre very familiar with, the Young Bucks, the Forever Hooligans, the Time Splitters- Alex Shelly & Kushida, and then Ring of Honor Tag Team Champions, ReDragon. That four corners tag match, Ive seen bits and pieces of them on my previous trips over to Japan but those guys in a Dome atmosphere, theres no doubt in mind it is going to be a match for the ages. It will blow you away. And then the last match of the night, the main event, Tanahashi, and if you want to talk about just one guy, thats the guy. Hes a rock star, hes in his mid 30?s, hes in the prime of his career and hes facing Okada, the Rainmaker. Those two guys have an awesome rivalry. Its just like a Rock-Stone Cold, a Hogan-Andre, Bret Hart-Stone Cold, whatever your feud or rivalry of a lifetime, whatever your favorite feud is, their rivalry is right on par with it.

2015 being a competitive year for pro wrestling:

I said it back in February or March, that I felt the business was so healthy and just on the cusp of a boom. Here we are rolling into 2015 and Ring of Honor has entered the pay-per-view world, you mentioned Lucha Underground, New Japans got a deal on AXS TV, New Japan World as a digital streaming service, obviously everybody knows about the WWE Network and the massive amount of content, Global Force Wrestling is doing its rollout, its a very healthy market. I used this analogy the other day, I got asked sort of the same question, if youve got a busy intersection with a lot of fans and a lot of people, lets just say for example you put a McDonalds hamburgers on one corner and across the street you put a Wendys hamburgers. The people at Burger King try to do everything in their power, how can I get on the other corner because the other two hamburger joints are doing good.? I believe its making all of us healthy.

http://dailywrestlingnews.com/jeff-jarrett-gfw-will-2015-huge-wrestling/

I'm actually pretty excited for this. I have never seen a whole NJPW event before. Only single matches.

Anyone got any recommendations for Shinsuke Nakamura matches to watch?

Anything involving Shibata, Tanahashi or Okada really.

Also him vs. Kevin Steen.

Archived