Wrestle Kingdom 9 1/4/15 Results

AssaultDriver720

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ibushi/Nakamura was my favorite. But its hard not to choose a match that can easily be match of the year.

Aside from that, my favorite was the tag match between the NOAH guys that Yano put together vs the New Japan crew. That was what I could show my kids in like 10 years and say "This is what I think tag wrestling should look like". Everyone performed well in their roles and hit huge moves, everyone looked like stars, and we even though Yano and Co went over it doesn't seem like it was a landslide to make the NJ guys look bad. Great match all together. +100 points because Marufuji looked like a Gundam

Just finished watching Wrestle Kingdom 9, it was fantastic. I was pissed that I couldn't get to see the live show but my friend emailed and sent me a link that he had found to watch it (the New Japan Rumble was missing tho, so that's the only thing I didn't get to see). I love New Japan but that english commentary was like a cherry on top. MOTN (maybe even MOTY) to me definitely goes to Nakamura/Ibushi with Tanahashi/Okada coming at a close second. I thought Ishii/Makabe was okay but I felt as tho Ishii's match with Goto at Power Struggle was better.

Nakamura vs Ibushi was a definite thrill ride. Have to give props to Ibushi for showing that toughness and bravado in the match. The pop for Nakamura was amazing

I would also say Ishii vs Makabe was a good match as well. Not an all-out brawl like the last two matches, but for two big hogs, the pacing in that match was highly impressive.

Suzuki and Sakuraba. Bonafide legends in catch wrestling.

Goto and Shibata winning the Tag Titles was a damn good feel-good moment in my eyes. Seeing them pose with the belts was awesome.

Okada and Tanahishi. The quality of the match pretty much speaks for itself. Don't know if Tanahashi had a heel moment screaming at a crying Okada, but the emotion of it was great.

The main event video package completely sold me on Tanahashi as a great babyface. He's Cena done right. The fact that he's one of the best wrestlers on the planet is just a bonus.

I am an Okada mark though, and wanted him to win for sure. He'll get it soon.

The main event video package completely sold me on Tanahashi as a great babyface. He's Cena done right. The fact that he's one of the best wrestlers on the planet is just a bonus.

I am an Okada mark though, and wanted him to win for sure. He'll get it soon.

I've seen some people theorize that they'll wait until he turns full on face before giving him the IWGP title again. I can see why, but if thats the case I really hope its soon. Okada is the future no doubt and while tanahashi is awesome, he's definitely getting stale to some at this point.

Still marking out that JR commentated an AJ Styles match, never thought that'd happen.

Watching without spoilers is amazing whenever I can take it. I've been doing that with WK for 3 years now.

By the way, great show as always. Ibushi/Nakamura REALLY stood out though. It was the most special match of the night. Ibushi on a whole another level. Nakamura also was outstanding and on a higher level than usual, but to me the story of the match was how good Ibushi looked on the co-main event. Delivery on all aspects possible. His personality stepped up, facial expressions stepped up, his presentation stepped up, and he was able to deliver in the ring to give this match a bigger feel than it had previously.

Okada/Tanahashi was good, but I think it's the weakest match I've ever seen from them. it was the standard big WK main event, which is not to say it's bad, of course, but it was more on the level of past main events than on the level of all the Okada/Tanahashi matches, which is a higher level than the normal NJPW main event to me. Big, big fight feel though.

Styles/Naito was as good as their G1 match. Both guys are so fluid together, they can just flat out go in the ring. I don't buy the whole STYLES CLASH IS DANGEROUS vibe though, because you can clearly see the move is a very standard front fall and whenever a guy gets hurt is because he messes up. I always thought that the Styles Clash looked kinda weak even, and from that to DANGEROUS~~~~ is a little too much for me to believe. AJ just caught a bad break with some guys, and capitalized on it. It seems to work with most people, but it does next to nothing to me.

Shibata and Goto win the tag titles, and I hope they and maybe the arrival of TMDK (who impressed me, as I had not watched much of them in NOAH) can revive what I feel is right now an uninspired division. Of course, Shibata winning his first title is the biggest story, and I hope the sign of more to come. I really dream of a Shibata-Ibushi title match.

Ishii/Makabe was the Goto/Shibata of this card, only better because it had a little more selling. I'll admit all this "toughness" stuff wears a little on me, I tend to side against it if it forgoes too much of the selling like I felt Shibata/Goto last WK did. But I think Makabe and Ishii were just fine, and I could enjoy it.

Suzuki/Sakuraba was a cool sight, and it was great to see Suzuki finally work with someone other than Yano for once. The match was weird though, I expected more grappling than striking as the UWF-i rules plus the grappling accumen of both guys made me feel like the match was going to be very shoot style, which it only was in the begginning. Fine match for what it was though, and good story.

The Jr. matches and the NOAH/Suzukigun and Bullet Club/Sekigun match were all okay for the time they had to do with. Too much interference from Bullet Club on the Jr. title match for my taste, but I'm glad Omega had a good performance with his new character. Marufuji is Marufuji, his star power helps him always even if his matches tend to be hit or miss nowadays. And Honma getting his shine was great, he's the perfect hardheaded (in more ways than one), Naruto-like personality that the Japanese crowds can't get enough of.

The booking of the event felt conservative, even with the three title changes. Which is not a bad thing, as I believe you need those conservative looking shows so the surprises feel more like surprises. I would really have put Ibushi over though. Either him or at least Naito. I'm fine with Tana tying the score with Okada. Honma winning was a feel-good moment. I hate Yano and want him to lose every match he's in, but I'm fine with Marufuji winning. Finally, the Jr. belt is off of Taguchi. I'm sorry, but he reeks of Marty Janetty-ness and average-ness, I just can't get behind his matches.

As far as the commentary, JR and Striker brought it to the big two matches, were fine on Styles/Naito and the Tag Titles match, but seemed to struggle to catch on through a good portion of the event, and were very clunky, especially JR. Of course, he always complains about matches that are too fast for his taste, so the whole pacing of the first half of the show, with all the multi-tag matches back-to-back-to-back with almost no timeouts really had him lost and he left for Striker to do most of the talking, they basically inverted positions. I like Striker, even he's a little too smarky. I prefer a bit of a smart ass to a guy who doesn't know/doesn't care what he's talking about.

I'm interested in seeing PPV buys in USA. I don't think they've seen a non-WWE PPV that looks this good and this big since WCW days. I really hope this worked and people gave it a chance, because with NJPW, that's all you need to do. There's no need to try hard to like NJPW. They're just that good.

wk9 definitely confirmed for me that shinsuke nakamura is my current favorite wrestler/entertainer in the world by far. i haven't been so thoroughly entertained by a wrestler both in and out of the ring since eddie guerrero. there's a lot of guys that i definitely like a lot but i can't say they're as all-around talented and consistent as nakamura is.

I Thought JR and Matt done a great job, JR was as expected a bit iffy on the names of the Wrestlers and Matt was weeaboo'ing like a chubby bitch in an anime store but it was good, they sold the product very well in my opinion and laid down some "need to realise" stuff as best as they could without getting overly pretentious.

I Thought JR and Matt done a great job, JR was as expected a bit iffy on the names of the Wrestlers and Matt was weeaboo'ing like a chubby bitch in an anime store but it was good, they sold the product very well in my opinion and laid down some "need to realise" stuff as best as they could without getting overly pretentious.

As an NJPW first timer, they did a great job laying everything out.

Thoughts:

Four Way Tag Team Match: Fun match. Not as good as it could've (and probably should have) been, but still good and very enoyable. Great way to start off the show.

Special Six Men Tag Team Match: Honestly, I didn't care, barely paid attention. I still can't believe how pretty Takahashi's ring girl was.

Special 8 Man Tag Team Match: It was a decent match but man... I can't stand watching Marufuji anymore. When did he turn into a noselling monster? :(

Special Singles Match - Full Conclusion Rules!: Sick work from both. I don't like Suzuki at all, but he performed very well (like usually) and I really enjoyed how the match slowly errupted. Just wish he would've incorporated his arm injury into the final sequence a little more.

NEVER Openweight Championship: Yooooo, my man Makabe. I love that guy, honestly. After Nakamura (and some Gajins) he's definitely my favorite on the NJPW roster. Maybe Shibata but he's defo top three. Really enjoyed the match. Just two absolute bulls battling it out. Also title change. Schweeet.

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship:

Good match, definitely. I kinda expected a little more but it was still pretty damn solid. I love Omega, really. He's risen up on my personal list so much recently.

IWGP Tag Team Championship:

Good match. I was much more entertained than I expected. I am so damn glad Shibata and Goto won. I really like Shibata and while I never truely cared for Goto, in that particular tag team, he's really good and I like him a lot now. Was a true feel good moment imo.

Special Singles Match:

Kinda like the opener or the Junior HW match. Good performance but with two exceptional workers like them, I expected better.

IWGP Intercontinental Championship:

Absolutely the best match of the night. Great hype, great entrance, great performance. Even the crowd participated consistently invested. YEAOH!

IWGP Heavyweight Championship:

Meh is probably what describes this the best. I don't like either man a lot, but I certainly like Okada more. Tanahashi is just annoying to me. The constant High Fly Flows (as apparent as ever) are annoying and imo he really doesn't offer anything great. I genuinly hope someone dethrones him and Ibushi takes his place in the top three. He's crazy popular as well, he fullfils the pretty boy role as well and he's a better high flyer.

Final notes:

- Main event suffered from the co-main event. Both matches basically had the same path. Tanahashi/Okada were much better suited for said style of match, but Nakamura and Ibushi pulled it off infintely better.

- Commentary was better than feared, however J.R. greatly annoyed me with his lack of knowledge of the workers movesets and such things whereas Striker was a little too jabby towards WWE. Still decent though.

Watching this was the first time I watched NJPW and I loved it. Much better wrestling all around. Hell even that submission match kept me on the edge of my seat, and I've never been of that match type. Question though, does NJPW have a show that's equivlant to Raw and Smackdown? And if so how does see clips of it?

One hell of a way to kick off the wrestling year. Watching with the English commentary was great and the only disappointment was the great reactions of the Japanese commentators for basic moves. I thought it seemed strange that Okada didn't win, especially with how he's been built since losing the belt to AJ last year, but he'll certainly get his time again.

Nakamura vs Ibushi was quite possibly the match of the night. I'd love to see Nakamura going for the Heavyweight Title as the Intercontinental Champion, but whether or not they would book that feud with Tanahashi remains to be seen.

Really glad that reDRagon retained. They've been my favourite tag team for a while now and are getting the credit they deserve from all angles for the work they're putting in right now.

Watching this was the first time I watched NJPW and I loved it. Much better wrestling all around. Hell even that submission match kept me on the edge of my seat, and I've never been of that match type. Question though, does NJPW have a show that's equivlant to Raw and Smackdown? And if so how does see clips of it?

No. NJPW functions around their PPVs. They have normally have a littany of house shows that build to the PPVs. Now, those shows are being exhibited in NJPW World, which is NJPW's WWE Network equivalent. So you can pay and catch up with everything NJPW there. Also, AXS TV will have a NJPW show this year, which will focus around introducing the audience to NJPW's biggest moments, if I'm not mistaken, with matches from previous PPVs airing, and Mauro Ranallo and Josh Barnett providing commentary.

Archived