The Official Movie Discussion thread

M3J

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What have you seen?

Arsenic and Old Lace was funny, but Cary's facial expressions just stood out the most to me. Raymond Massey was just... wooden, though that's what his character was, most likely. And I could be biased after reading the criticism he got as James Dean's father in East of Eden.

So, what's stopping you from watching more?! :P

I think that's one of the few roles where I liked Clark Gable, otherwise I see him as supremely overrated, and wrongfully typecast. Apparently, It Happened One Night is closer to his actual persona, and they should have stuck to that.

I wonder if the Twilight series will ever be considered our generation's Gone With the Wind. They both suck, and the latter's not even re-watchable.

I already stated that his films don't exactly match my tastes currently. In other words, his films, in a general sense, don't appeal to me because they're not what I'm looking for in a movie. You said you like his films because they have happy endings and generate hope. Well for me, that's not what I'm searching for. There are other areas of cinema that I much rather spend my time on than Capra films. That's not a knock on you or Capra, it's just a matter of taste and what interests me.

And here you go again with that Twilight and Gone with the Wind comparison...

Been on a horror kick myself. If you've got any suggestions, I'm open to hearing them.

I'll gladly give you suggestions. :D

First, I'm not going to list the ultra-obvious-masterworks-that-everyone-and-their-mother-know-about (e.g. the Universal Horror Cycle in the '30s, Psycho, The Haunting (1963), The Thing (1982), Evil Dead series, etc.). Second, a good bit of these may be aquired taste, so YMMV...

Häxan

Dead of Night (1945)

Diabolique (1955)

A Bucket of Blood (1959)

Eyes Without a Face

The Innocents

The Cremator

Don't Look Now

The Tenant

Suspiria

Possession (1981)

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Miss Osbourne

Santa Sangre

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me

Lunacy

Horror because it's October. :D But more broadly: movies that are unconventional and unusual; typically dark comedies, psychological dramas, and horror films these past few months.

They're similar in that they're both not worth talking about (again).

I know a few I liked in dark comedies, but the only one I can think of right now is Peepli Live, a Bollywood movie that is actually good. It's about a farmer trying to commit suicide so his family gets money.

• 4 weeks later...

I should rewatch Ninotchka because when I saw it again on the history of MGM DVD narrated by Patrick Stewart, it was funnier than I remembered. They showed the scene where Ninotchka discovered Eiffel Tower and wanted to get there, while Melvyn was hitting on her and kept getting curved. I need to check out Double Indemnity though. Sabrina was good, but Some Like It Hot was great!

I still can't get over how amazing Gloria was, though. Like, she played the role and set the mood perfectly! Extremely vain, creepy, self-centered, and needy!

Civil War was very good. I'd rank it among the top with Winter Soldier, The First Avenger, Iron Man, and The Avengers. How can you not like Spider-Man and Black Panther? So much awesomeness, especially Black Panther.