The Official Movie Discussion thread

M3J

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To say "run of the mill Alien movie" is kind of pointless. That's what made it good to me...it was a proper Alien movie. It felt cohesive with the rest of the universe (bar the spin-offs that really sucked ballbag). I mean...you have to actually like the Alien franchise to give a shit about a sequel/prequel/etc. I think that's fairly obvious.

Edited by Generations

I'm a huge Aliens fan. I own all of them and even enjoyed the spin-off. I just went in expecting a lot more than what it was.

Think it kind of hurts that I couldn't tell the characters apart. David and Walter were memorable but everyone else? Who the *Censored* were they? Generic main girl was generic and I liked Danny McBride...well, just because he is Danny McBride. I guess my point is...no character leaves an impression. There's no Ripley. Or even a Shaw.

Aside from that, I didn't mind it. Just a "Oh. That's it" type of reaction.

That's a whole lot "should have to's".

I like Alien just fine, I felt like Covenant was just your average franchise movie and felt in line with the rest of them. Proper Alien movie or not doesn't mean it's not necessarily "run of the mill." Tha film was decent, it has a good score and some cool characters, but I don't rate it highly among the Alien franchise.

Surely you have to give a shit about any franchise to care about its sequels and spins offs etc? You called what I said pointless yet say that? Idk you're not gonna change my mind. I thought it was an okay movie, it met the necessary quota for the Alien franchise.

Think it kind of hurts that I couldn't tell the characters apart. David and Walter were memorable but everyone else? Who the *Censored* were they? Generic main girl was generic and I liked Danny McBride...well, just because he is Danny McBride. I guess my point is...no character leaves an impression. There's no Ripley. Or even a Shaw.

I didn't have that problem at all. A few characters were definitely generic fodder, but you had some specific couplings going on...I thought at least 6 or 7 of the characters were prominent enough. I couldn't tell you their names off the top of my head, but I knew who everyone was in relation to each other. I thought that was straight forward. Didn't think the main character was generic at all. Fully got behind her through the course of the movie.

Even have a slight inclination that she will somehow return in the next one, to become a Ripley-esque badass on a proper ship full of aliens. At least, that's the direction I would go with the follow-up. Just her...on the ship full of aliens. No other characters. Full nightmare scenario. Maybe the aliens that David makes turn on him, shit goes south, the pods open, etc. I would have her as that returning role, though. I feel like it was intentional to keep her from going there yet.

Edited by Generations

Oh it was straight-forward in relation to each other. Just that like you said, can't even remember their names. They were just fodder. I remember most of the characters from Aliens because they actually had character.

But who knows...maybe I'll like it better on my second watch.

That would be cool if they do build on the main character. And your idea works for me.

I'm terrible with names in movies to begin with...so that's really nothing against a movie for me. I always require multiple views to actually care what people's names are. Also, last names...that's a big thing for me. Easier to remember nicknames, codenames, or first names. When everyone is being called by their last name, I immediately zone out on that. Which is why I legitimately only remember David, Walter, and Tennessee's names in Covenant. Again, I don't blame the movie for that...it's just my own thing. It's a first name/nickname thing.

The characters that stood out to me (aside from those that I mentioned by name) were Tennessee's wife, the doctor who tried to save the guy in the beginning, and the dumbass who was acting as captain.

Also, I'm happy that James Franco died in the very beginning and was never really in the movie at all. Having McBride and Franco both in the film would have made my brain go right to Pineapple Express...so I was overjoyed that he never appeared outside of that one short video clip and burning to death in his pod (which I didn't even realize was him when it happened)...only after she watched the video.

Edited by Generations

Just watched 'Free Fire'. Really enjoyed it. I feel like there was only one part of the movie where things lagged and felt a bit boring. Overall, I thought they did a great job of having the whole movie set in the one location. Great one-liners, classic dark humor. Felt like 'Hateful Eight', 'Reservoir Dogs', and 'Pineapple Express' got mashed into one film.

Edited by Generations

• 1 month later...

War for the Planet of the Apes was freaking amazing. Probably the best in the trilogy.

Halfway through the movie I realized how this sets up kinda for the original movie's events. The simian flu muting people, soldiers killing each other and dying, it just lined up imo. Ceasar is amazing, and the director of this is directing Batman... Shiiit

Saw Dunkirk today. As far as movies I've seen in the theater this Summer (which is pretty much all the major releases) it's probably been the second best I've seen behind Baby Driver. Both really good movies though, my preference of Baby Driver comes down to personal taste more than anything objective.

Watching Fate of the Furious again, and the bright spot is Statham. His fighting scenes in the prison and the airplane were pretty good and fun to watch. Diesel was annoying as *Censored* like usual though, with his BS.