The Official Movie Discussion thread

M3J

Saw Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (the Frederic March and Spencer Tracy version), Dracula (Bela Lugosi), Frankenstein, and Bride of Frankenstein (both with Boris Karloff), and I must say Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde was the best of them all. Frederic March was amazing, and as Mr. Hyde he was scary! Spencer was okay, at best, and when compared to Frederic, Spencer sucked. Dracula, Frankenstein, and Bride of Frankenstein did not scare me at all, but I'm sure that's due to the era differences. For example, if a movie were to show a train coming towards me, I wouldn't flinch as I take that sort of stuff for granted. However, the moviegoers in the early 1900s or so would have panicked.

Though, Phantom of the Opera was done so well. Horror movies were pretty good in black and white, especially since the shadows and lighting were given a lot of attention.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see you watched the March version of Jekyll and Hyde. It really is a fantastic movie! The mirror-transformation is ingenious and March's performance is captivating. For some time this film was my favorite Jekyll/Hyde adaptation of the material but recently that has changed with my first viewing of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Miss Osbourne directed by a Polish director named Walerian Borowczyk who offers a fresh, unique take on the story. It's acquired taste though, so if you're interested in seeing it, do some primarily reading about the movie to see if it's up your alley.

With the Universal pictures, if you're expecting to be scared in such way where you flinch or jump, then you're watching the wrong movies. However, that doesn't make them failures. On the contrary, they're quite successful, (well except Dracula but it does have moments). As I've said before, a horror film doesn't always have to startle you for it to be a good horror film, it could do other things like unsettle you or creep you out with their moody atmosphere or maracrabe, fantastical themes.

March was charismatic as Dr. Jekyll and positively scary as Mr. Hyde, and what made the character even scarier was knowing that he is and can be real. I read about The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Miss Osbourne on Wiki just now, and it sounds positively *censored*ed up and interesting. Wonder if my library would carry that DVD...

I never said they were failures, just that the reason why they didn't do much for me could be due to the eras. Though, as I said, the black and white format just made the movies even better in a creepier/unsettled way. Phantom of the Opera and March's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde were very good at being unsettling, and the latter makes me wanna watch more March movies and see if he is a great actor.

I also checked out The Wolfman from the Library. If Lon Chaney Jr. has even half the talent of his father, the series should be good.

The recent dual-format release from Arrow Video is a complete revelation; it's a thing of beauty. If your library has that then they're awesome. What's more, if they have more from Borowczyk, get those as well. He's a phenomenal director.

I mean failures as in they failed to startled you. And what I'm basically saying is don't let that hamper your enjoyment so much.

March is fabulous as a fading, alcoholic star in A Star is Born (1937); check that one out!

The Wolf Man is a great one. I gained a greater appreciation for that one on my second viewing. Chaney Jr. is quite good in it.

I'd be shocked if they had something like that, but then again they do have the remake of Scarface and Once Upon a Time in America, so.

It hasn't. I still enjoyed the two horror films I saw, and the black and white format added a lot to Dracula and Frankenstein.

From what I read about him on Wiki, March was an alcoholic, no? Or was that way later, if that was him?

I would expect Scarface and Once Upon a Time in America to be at any library that has a home video section. They're considerably common. The Borowczyk's, on the other hand, not so much. I know my library system doesn't have a single work of his, unfortunately.

Ah, nice to hear. If you plan on watching more Universal horror films beyond The Wolf Man, I recommend The Invisible Man, Murders in the Rue Morgue, and The Black Cat.

Dunno, not to my knowledge.

Given their violence, and one movie showing at least one case of rape, you'd figure they wouldn't put that where kids could rent it out.

Will do. Hopefully they're unsettling. But damn, I can't get over March's performance as Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde! He did such an amazing job. The transformation into Hyde was intense too.

Then why the *Censored* doesn't my library have more classic movies? I wanna see Anchors Aweigh dammit! More Gene Kelly, more James Stewart, more Cary Grant, more Jean Arthur, MORE MORE MORE!

:(

Latter, the library I was thinking about is the headquarter for the branch libraries, as well as being library itself. They have plenty of classics, but not enough to satisfy my fanboy. The movie you suggested with Carole Lombard isn't carried by the headquarter. Not sure if the branches have it, I'd have to search it on their website.

The first live-action Pokemon film has been confirmed by its makers, film studio Legendary Entertainment.

The film will be based around Detective Pikachu, rather than cashing in on the current Pokemon Go craze.

Detective Pikachu is a new character in Pokemon, having been introduced in a video game in Japan.

Legendary Entertainment told Variety that production is being fast-tracked so that filming can start in 2017, with casting details yet to be confirmed. As with previous animated Pokemon films, distribution will be done by Universal Pictures.

The video game Great Detective Pikachu was released in Japan in February. The detective isn’t as nimble as other Pikachu and relies on his intelligence to overcome foes. He is helped by Tim Goodman, the only boy who is able to understand what Great Detective Pikachu says.

Since Pokemon Go was released last month, shares in owners Nintendo have risen by 25% as the interactive real-life collection app has become a phenomenon.

Legendary Entertainment has experience of making films based on video games, having recently released a Warcraft film directed by {i]Moon[/i]’s Duncan Jones. It is also behind the Batman reboot.

Pokemon celebrates its 20th anniversary this year. It has sold 21.5 billion cards and its animated cartoon has run for 19 series. It is also responsible for 279 million video game sales

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/pokemon-live-action-movie-is-go/412854?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Well placed jump scares are great but when a movie is loaded with them it becomes cheap, stale, and not very scary. It's bad filmmaking.

Hey, since we're on the topic... what's everyone's favorite jump scare? What jump scares have made you jump in your seat? Made your heart skip? Made you scream?

Watched quite a few in the past couple of weeks so I'll put them all into one post:

• Dr Strangelove
  • Scarface
  • The Manchurian Candidate (Sinatra version not Denzel)
  • Whiplash
  • Bringing Up Baby
  • The Apartment
  • The Usual Suspects
  • Unforgiven
  • The Departed
  • The Graduate
  • Sunset Boulevard
  • Fargo
  • Gilda
  • Only Angels Have Wings
  • Trainspotting
  • Manhattan

Best of the lot? Probably Whiplash or The Departed... or maybe Usual Suspects actually. Least liked Manhattan.

Watched quite a few in the past couple of weeks so I'll put them all into one post:

• Dr Strangelove
  • Scarface
  • The Manchurian Candidate (Sinatra version not Denzel)
  • Whiplash
  • Bringing Up Baby
  • The Apartment
  • The Usual Suspects
  • Unforgiven
  • The Departed
  • The Graduate
  • Sunset Boulevard
  • Fargo
  • Gilda
  • Only Angels Have Wings
  • Trainspotting
  • Manhattan

Best of the lot? Probably Whiplash or The Departed... or maybe Usual Suspects actually. Least liked Manhattan.

What'd you think about Bringing Up Baby and Gilda?

Has there been any other actor or actress who did a great job acting through their eyes, like Gary Cooper?

Also, I think Jimmy Stewart and Jean Arthur make an amazing lead couple, at least in comedy movies. Gary Cooper and Cary Grant did well with Jean, but there's something about Jimmy and Jean... could be Jimmy's innocence in movies like Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and Jean's more hard-knocked nature softening into a more loving nature that works well, but they were great in You Can't Take It With You too, and Jean wasn't a hard-ass. Guess their personality styles just complement each other, with Jimmy being a softer one while Jean can be the louder, more brash one when needed.

What'd you think about Bringing Up Baby and Gilda?

Gilda was alright though I don't remember a whole lot about the film despite giving it my complete attention (which I'm guessing is a bad thing) apart from a few really good scenes. Rita looked hot in it and I thought it was well acted but I'm not sure I'll watch it again to be honest with you.

Bringing Up Baby on the other hand was amazing. The scene where Kate rips Cary's jacket is hilarious as is the jail scene :XD: Grant and Hepburn have amazing chemistry from what I've seen from them and I'll definitely be watching that one again. One thing I will say about it though - I did some reading up on it after finishing it and I read that it absolutely bombed when it first came out and was slated by critics. Do you know why? I'm not sure why it wouldn't be well received tbh.