The Official Movie Discussion thread

M3J

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone watch Inherit the Wind? I loved the movie, Spencer Tracy and Frederic March were amazing as usual. Though, I've only seen one other March movie, and he did a great job. Better than Spencer.

Also, excited to start watching Man with 1000 Faces when I get a chance. Dunno how accurate it is since Golden Era Hollywood tended to sanitize everything.

How did you feel? Naturally as an atheist, I sided with Drummond and Cates more. And to see how the crowd acted... though that part is fake and didn't actually happen, it does kinda show how crazy some people can be. But Gene Kelly was also so great to watch as well!

The movie summed up the problems with organized religions/hive mentality so well. But again, from what I've read the actual people weren't even close to being this crazy, so that's a good thing.

Oh, and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner was a great film and a great sendoff to Tracy's career.

That's just silly, tbh. No movie could possibly warrant a 0. I honestly think that even the worst movie ever made should probably be somewhere in the 10 or 15 out of 100 range. Is the animation well done? Is the voice acting decent? Are there any redeeming values at all? How does someone value something at a zero?

And why is Rotten Tomatoes such a highly regarded source of movie reviews anyway? I've been trying to figure this out for a while now. Especially when I see "certified fresh" labels on DVD releases and things...I'm like "Oh, come on..."

I'm sure the Emoji movie sucks...based just on what it is. It was bound to suck from the onset. But, yeah...anyone who rates a movie with a zero should never be trusted to review anything ever again.

I always go back to the grading system I had in school when I think about reviewing things. Out of 100...70 is a C (and is average), anything below that is below average, anything higher than that is considered good. 80 is a B, 90+ is an A...60 is a D, 50 and below is an F, etc. Always how I rate things. If it's a 5/10 or below, then it's considered a downright bad movie. It doesn't need to be a zero...it could be a 3 or a 2/10 and still convey that it's a shit movie.

Edited by Generations

I've generally found RT to be a pretty good gauge for the general consensus. Of course if you let a RT score effect your thoughts on a movie before you've seen it then you're a fool.

It's in the same manner as to why people trusted Roger Ebert as hollywoods premium reviewer and Dave Meltzer for wrestling. People just have come to find it agreeable with them over the years.

I know personally that I trust in people to know when a movie is good or not, but that doesn't dictate whether I actually find the flick entertaining, because I might like for other reasons.

Edited by Creep.

Two things,

A) Unfortunately, RT reviews matter these days. It's the most popular source for reviews. Hell, it's difficult as hell to convince a buddy to watch a movie if the reviews are bad. Whether we like it or not, the scores on RT tend to actually impact most films. Well, with exceptions like Transformers and some horror franchises.

B) Do you understand how RT works? It's a collection of reviews. So if every critic writes a positive review, a movie scores 100%. If there are no positive reviews, it's a 0. So your downright bad movies could still be rated the same but since it's negative, it still doesn't contribute to raising the zero. They aren't all literally giving it a 0.

Btw I'm using a very conversational tone Gen and explaining how it works...I don't care to defend RT lol.

Edited by Respect The Beard

RT has also been subject to mass "protests" where a bunch of users give one rating for one reason or another.

I forget which movie it was...but I know that I personally remember a recent movie which got a low score for some reason, and the RT community decided to focus their efforts on giving it a perfect score on RT as a result. So, yeah...that kinda says it all.

That's just silly, tbh. No movie could possibly warrant a 0. I honestly think that even the worst movie ever made should probably be somewhere in the 10 or 15 out of 100 range. Is the animation well done? Is the voice acting decent? Are there any redeeming values at all? How does someone value something at a zero?

And why is Rotten Tomatoes such a highly regarded source of movie reviews anyway? I've been trying to figure this out for a while now. Especially when I see "certified fresh" labels on DVD releases and things...I'm like "Oh, come on..."

I'm sure the Emoji movie sucks...based just on what it is. It was bound to suck from the onset. But, yeah...anyone who rates a movie with a zero should never be trusted to review anything ever again.

I always go back to the grading system I had in school when I think about reviewing things. Out of 100...70 is a C (and is average), anything below that is below average, anything higher than that is considered good. 80 is a B, 90+ is an A...60 is a D, 50 and below is an F, etc. Always how I rate things. If it's a 5/10 or below, then it's considered a downright bad movie. It doesn't need to be a zero...it could be a 3 or a 2/10 and still convey that it's a shit movie.

Honestly after seeing multiple trailers for Emoji Movie it seems more like a low-budget version of inside out

Saw the Emoji Movie (ironically), was just a shits and giggles movie.

Still better than say, the Bee Movie. It's just the idea of an emoji movie that's been shit on from the start lol. It's at least a 4/10 :hqhq:

^ I actually chuckled at the one commercial where the main character walks into the old style of text emoji and he says "ooof, my colon!". When I saw that commercial, I knew it at least had a few decent laughs mixed throughout. Still not something I really plan on ever seeing...but, yeah.

Edited by Generations

I wanted to see Meg with Jason Statham this year but it got delayed till August 2018. It's about a 76 or something foot Megalodon shark and Statham is an ex navy officer with a history with the shark and is now back to lead a rescue mission against it.

I love those kind of movies. Perfect popcorn flicks!

Baby driver was awesome, unfortunately they want to ruin it with a sequel

I haven't seen it, but Edgar Wright has never steered wrong in his movies so I'm not sure what the "ruin" is all about. If it's Edgar's vision then I'm sure it'll be good.

I hope Edgar stay's on but he hasn't said if he would or wouldn't. Plus his been on working on baby driver for 15 yrs.

Which means he's probably got more than 1 films worth of material he wants to do