TNA Reportedly Makes a Play for CM Punk, Details on What They Had Planned for Him

Ziggy Vercetti

- "TNA recently made a play for CM Punk.

This was done similar to how they reached out to Alberto Del Rio, through an intermediary who is friends with Punk. The idea pitched was said to be a huge deal for Punk to be the top star of the company with pay similar to what Hulk Hogan was making. The idea is that Punk could be TNA's flagship star and if he signs now, he could help get a strong TV deal.

Punk reportedly expressed no interest in working in pro wrestling again."

Source LOP

I believe I've read before that Punk has stated he would never work for TNA. I know he once said if he could bring any Indy wrestler to WWE, it would be Samoa Joe and when the reporter said "Joe works for Tna though.." Punk said "Yeah, you said indy didn't you?"

:lol: TNA is funny man.

One story that began making the rounds yesterday, attributed to Dave Meltzer of The Wrestling Observer (although I want to make it clear that I have no idea whether Meltzer ever actually reported this) is that TNA made a big money offer to Punk to come into the company and were turned down.

I reached out to several high level TNA sources last night and this morning, I heard back from each as they were preparing to head to Japan. Each of them said there was no truth to the story and one commented, "No offer was made, officially or via an intermediary - no truth to that rumor."

In asking a few friends that are close with Punk yesterday as well, all of them scoffed at the idea Punk would ever want to return to wrestling, much less for TNA.

http://www.pwinsider.com/article/88766/cm-punk-signing-with-tna-heres-whats-going-on.html?p=1

How does this make them sound pathetic or desperate at all? If you ran a pro wrestling organization, wouldn't you want to sign the biggest free agent in the business too? TNA does a lot of stupid things, but this is not one of them. I'm sure they knew deep down that Punk would say no, but it doesn't hurt to reach out to him with a great offer. Apparently that's more than WWE was willing to do. And speaking as a wrestling fan, I'd rather see CM Punk involved in wrestling with TNA than not at all. I'm so sick of the endless dirt sheet articles about how happy CM Punk is now that he's moved on to greener pastures. At least this story is actually wrestling related and interesting to me as a fan. I don't give a shit about how happy or healthy he is. I don't know the guy personally, so I don't want to see pictures from his wedding, read about how he's starting a band, or have people point out to me how much weight he's lost since he left. I don't care, and neither should you. Being fascinated by what goes on behind the scenes is great. Talking about a retired wrestler's day-to-day life as if he's a close friend is not.

Snagging CM Punk is highly unlikely, but they don't really have anything to lose. What's the worst that could happen? Some nerds on the internet call them delusional for no reason? Don't get me wrong, you can make a good argument for Dixie Carter being insane, and it's clear that TNA makes some terrible choices. Wanting to sign CM Punk doesn't really support that argument though. I'm pretty sure it's just common sense.

How does this make them sound pathetic or desperate at all? If you ran a pro wrestling organization, wouldn't you want to sign the biggest free agent in the business too? TNA does a lot of stupid things, but this is not one of them. I'm sure they knew deep down that Punk would say no, but it doesn't hurt to reach out to him with a great offer. Apparently that's more than WWE was willing to do. And speaking as a wrestling fan, I'd rather see CM Punk involved in wrestling with TNA than not at all. I'm so sick of the endless dirt sheet articles about how happy CM Punk is now that he's moved on to greener pastures. At least this story is actually wrestling related and interesting to me as a fan. I don't give a shit about how happy or healthy he is. I don't know the guy personally, so I don't want to see pictures from his wedding, read about how he's starting a band, or have people point out to me how much weight he's lost since he left. I don't care, and neither should you. Being fascinated by what goes on behind the scenes is great. Talking about a retired wrestler's day-to-day life as if he's a close friend is not.

Snagging CM Punk is highly unlikely, but they don't really have anything to lose. What's the worst that could happen? Some nerds on the internet call them delusional for no reason? Don't get me wrong, you can make a good argument for Dixie Carter being insane, and it's clear that TNA makes some terrible choices. Wanting to sign CM Punk doesn't really support that argument though. I'm pretty sure it's just common sense.

Im all for TNA trying to sign Punk but i figured they would learn for Hogan and past star not to just throw pallets of money at talent. Punk is good but when he only raises the ratings to a .9 from a .8 is he really worth the money in the end?

Archived