DC Cinematic Universe

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DC seems to have a tendency to not take the obvious, easy, safe path in lieu of taking the stupid path. Not the more creative, artistically interesting path. Just the stupidest path you could take.

Theres literally nothing in that trailer that made people like Teen Titans in the first place. I thought DC wised up that this edgelord shit wasnt selling.

Also Raven looks like shit in that last shot. Really all of them look bad. It looks like a cheap fan film.

Were some of you expecting it to be like the cartoon or something? The animated stuff isn't the ultimate representation of the Teen Titans/Tians. Dark/Edgy/gritty is a standard for comics and especially DC, including the Titans

This has nothing to do with any previous cartoon or source material. Some of us have never seen Teen Titans. We can however understand when something looks awful and cringeworthy.

You say dark and gritty is the standard for DC, but you know who dark and gritty hasnt been working for? DC.

You mean it hasn't for the DCEU. It works for them all the time and past films

Name one not about Batman

Swamp Thing and Watchmen

Swamp Thing is Vertigo, which is DC's Dark, Gritty and Adult imprint. Watchmen is Alan Moore and it WAS set outside the DC Universe. DC itself, it's norm isn't Dark and gritty, and it hasn't worked all the time or for past films. That didn't become DC's norm until The New 52, most DC fans hated the New 52. Rebirth was supposed to end all that and for the most part, it has.

New 52 wasn't the norm for dark stories. It started with the 80's and 90's. After Rebirth there are still some dark stuff going on like the new JL stuff

Watchmen wasnt good because it was dark. It was good because it deconstructed the genre in a creative way.

I didn't say it was good because it dark. I just named a dark dc film that worked

For the record, I'm simply saying going dark is normal for dc in all mediums. I liked the trailer overall but I don't think it's going to work and it has nothing to do with the tone. It's the characterizations

Dick Grayson/Robin looks badass but he has too much of an attitude problem and cones off more as Jason Todd.

I don't mind Starfire being black but they did the actress and character dirty!

Really not sure Beastboy can work in live action

New 52 wasn't the norm for dark stories. It started with the 80's and 90's. After Rebirth there are still some dark stuff going on like the new JL stuff

Watchmen wasnt good because it was dark. It was good because it deconstructed the genre in a creative way.

I didn't say it was good because it dark. I just named a dark dc film that worked

It was though. And Dark and gritty has never been DC's norm until then. What dark and gritty stories from the 80s and 90s from DC, using core DC heroes aside from The Dark Knight Returns and Killing Joke? And how is the new JL dark and gritty? They're fighting Source Wall Giants...

Both Infinite Crisis, Kingdom Come, Batman Year One, All Star Batman & Robin, All Star Superman, Death of Superman, Return of Superman, Green Lantern stories where Hal goes bad and introduces Kyle, Lobo, etc

You make it seem like DC going dark is mostly a new thing starting with New 52 up to Rebirth and that's just not true. There's been many dark stories since like even the 70's and that includes comics, animated shows, video games and live action shows.

There hasn't been many DC live action films besides Batman and Superman. The dark element in Superman III worked but it was the cheese and Richard Pryor that messed it up potential

Literally none of those stories are Dark and Gritty. Kingdom Come is set in an alternate universe, its not the normal DC Universe. All-Star Batman & Robin is trash because of how dark it was made. All Star Superman is NOWHERE NEAR dark and gritty, nor is Death Of Superman or the Return story, nor is any story involving 90's Parallelax. When comic readers say "dark and gritty" when it comes to DC, none of those stories are mentioned, because they simply arent that. A hero dying or going bad isnt dark and gritty. Needless swear words, needless violence and death, and a depressed Superman who never smiles or seems to enjoy life is usually what's meant. And DC didnt start that until The New 52, and New 52 was a failure because of that...And Superman III is trash.

Trailer for Young Justice: Outsiders

It doesn't matter when it the was the norm, if people liked it or if it was an alternate universe. DC going dark and gritty is or was the norm and that's a fact! It has been been and that's what I'm talking about.

Rest is pointless to keep talking about because we heavily disagree and won't change out minds.

Nothing you just said is a fact in reference to dark and gritty being DC's norm. None of the titles you just mentioned are even dark and gritty aside from All-Star Batman & Robin, and that title isn't exactly critically acclaimed.

Trailer showing clips of from the new seasons of CW's Arrowverse show, including the tease of Batwoman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=23&v=iG16rRK3-xo

I just said that DC has been dark and part of it's norm. It's an actual fact. It doesn't matter when or if you liked it.

Now can we please just drop it already? We agree to disagree, it's fine.

There's a lot more to discuss about Titans than the damn time. The characterizations is an issue to me and doesn't seem like a good promising first start for DC's steaming app's original shows. Kinda worried. about Doom Patrol now but I think there may still be hope for Swamp Thing.

Archived