General Unpopular Opinions

NostalgiaGod

I was just using that as a point to explain how much I hate when people complain about adaptions from different countries using a white cast.

Or when a white person becomes good at a sport or fighting style and somehow that's a *censored*ing problem.

Guess I should just quit BJJ now because I'm not from Brazil.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just using that as a point to explain how much I hate when people complain about adaptions from different countries using a white cast.

Or when a white person becomes good at a sport or fighting style and somehow that's a *censored*ing problem.

This argument doesn;t make any sense. You're not a tv show, game, book or anime etc

This argument doesn;t make any sense. You're not a tv show, game, book or anime etc

Iron Fist and Kung Fu dummy.

...and in terms of "cultural appropriation"...

According to Tumblr, one of the reasons they get mad about culture appropriation is because of how things that are popular now were reviled or disliked back then, which resulted in bullying. Lot of Indian women used to be bullied and/or ostracized by white people for henna and all that, and it angers them that now henna is popular. Or, how big lips were mocked and now are popular. The anger makes sense, in most cases.

But then again, a lot of Tumblr-tards are the same ones insulting people who disagree with them.

Still doesn't make sense. Things change. The past sucks but why keep to those ways?

...and isn't the whole idea of that racist anyways? Oh you're white. You can't do yoga. Oh you're black. You can't be good at karate.

Oh here's one case that pissed me off. White people dressing up as luchadores for Halloween caused a shitstorm at a university for dressing like "Mexicans". *Censored* off.

Still doesn't make sense. Things change. The past sucks but why keep to those ways?

...and isn't the whole idea of that racist anyways? Oh you're white. You can't do yoga. Oh you're black. You can't be good at karate.

Oh here's one case that pissed me off. White people dressing up as luchadores for Halloween caused a shitstorm at a university for dressing like "Mexicans". *Censored* off.

I dunno, but I guess it's still lingering anger at how badly they were bullied or ostracized? They also probably see it as being bullied for no reason when shit like henna and big lips were gonna be accepted anyway. And there is the fact that the media keep crediting celebrities like Kylie with coming up with a fashion trend even though women of color did whatever long time ago and/or were bullied for it.

I think the issue of cultural appropriation is it's white people taking an aspect of another culture but only the positive aspects. So a black person with dreads can possibly be labelled as lazy, a criminal, a pothead, etc, but a white person would just look sexy and exotic. It's a very simplified example but I think this is the issue. Or it's just the fact of white people using something from another culture for purely fashion purposes when they actually have deep cultural meanings, but instead it's used because 'oh it looks pretty'.

I think the issue of cultural appropriation is it's white people taking an aspect of another culture but only the positive aspects. So a black person with dreads can possibly be labelled as lazy, a criminal, a pothead, etc, but a white person would just look sexy and exotic. It's a very simplified example but I think this is the issue. Or it's just the fact of white people using something from another culture for purely fashion purposes when they actually have deep cultural meanings, but instead it's used because 'oh it looks pretty'.

I feel like this is counter productive. "sorry whites you can't do that cuz it's for blacks only"

oh yeah that sure is helping with racism huh

It's like when something becomes popular and the old fans are all "*Censored* you guys you didn't like it 5 years ago like me so you're not a real fan"

I'm not saying I agree with it, and dreadlocks wasn't the best example (cos white people with dreads look like dicks) but I think the point still stands. It's cultural appropriation 'cos white people can take an aspect of another culture and generally only take on the positive connotations rather than the negative ones. But I guess that doesn't necessarily mean the individual is doing anything wrong, but at the same time I can see why minorities get irritated by it.

Also Muur I have no clue what your example is supposed to mean.

Exactly.

And, selling things from other culture at a huge markup as well. A lot of brown women are angry that Forever 21 or some other store is selling bindis and bangles at a higher cost than they'd get in an Indian store, for example. Or, when a black girl who came up with "on fleek" or some other shit never got the credit or compensation (apparently) for coming up with the phrase, but "cash me ousside" girl is making millions of dollars being an idiot and disrespectful to her mom.

I feel like this is counter productive. "sorry whites you can't do that cuz it's for blacks only"

oh yeah that sure is helping with racism huh

It's like when something becomes popular and the old fans are all "*Censored* you guys you didn't like it 5 years ago like me so you're not a real fan"

That's not what they're saying. They're saying "hey whites, you can't do that when you made fun of us for it, and when you refuse to roll with the negative aspects of our culture as well!" Even Indians aren't immune, other Indians and black people are getting annoyed with Indians saying "*Censored*," especially so casually. Even when they don't care about or hate blacks.

Honestly though I've never seen a white person with dreads that didn't look like a piece of shit. I'm not saying it's widely frowned upon, but particular with dreads, if a white person has them the immediate connotation is usually hippy or pothead.

The internet gave Justin Bieber for dreads. I agree about it not looking good but I disagree about us not being allowed to give it a try without having the internet attack.

I think it depends on the context a lot? Like, the Ghost in the Shell thingy is pretty dumb IMO (the complaining, that is) 'cause she's an android and she looks very much caucasian to begin with. She can literally be anything she wants to be, design-wise, so why not white? For Light/Death Note, I think it's a legitimate gripe. Light Yagami is Japanese. If they take the liberty to relocate the story as a whole, why not just create a new Light? A new person that pays homage to Light. I dunno. It's like, yes, a robot can be white or whatever, it doesn't matter, but a Japanese person shouldn't be white all of the sudden.

But then should I have an issue with Iris West being black? Or Green Lantern being gay? Hell, I wouldn't care if James Bond was black, gay, or Japanese.

I don't because they're adaptions. Similar story...based off material...but an adaption.

I don't know who Iris West is but I'm pretty sure the other two are monikers to be picked up by people, not individuals. Like how there's multiple Robins etc. So I don't see an issue with having diverse people play the part. But if you re-interpret a literal individual, then yes, I think that's dumb.

A dude on instagram posted a video about how its racist to have a preference when it comes to who you date. Don't know if this idea is popular or not but it pissed me off.

I'm white. However, I'm not into white girls and never have been. I got my white belt, sure, but my "serious" girlfriends have been black or Asian. For whatever reason, I'm only into white girls if they're tatted up and unique-looking.

I'm not racist towards my own race though lol.

A dude on instagram posted a video about how its racist to have a preference when it comes to who you date. Don't know if this idea is popular or not but it pissed me off.

I don't know...I kinda agree with this.

But, it's a thin line.

For one thing...I think most people don't know that they're into someone until they're into them. For that reason, I do think it's weird when people say "I only date blondes", or "I don't have any interest in dating Asians", etc...it's like...how would you know until you meet a person and have feelings for them? For that reason, I think it is slightly racist to be entirely opposed to the idea that you could possibly have any interest in a certain race.

It does feel like the kind of thing that you need to actively think about and say "yeah...I would never do that"...and that is kind of racist in a way. I mean...it's one thing to have this conventional sense that your dating pool is white girls or whatever. I have that general feeling myself, but I'm not uninterested in other races...if I met an Asian girl, or a black girl, or an Indian girl, or literally any awesome girl that I caught feelings for...I wouldn't be like "no can do"...and obviously every single person is a different person. Yeah...a lot of white girls are boring as hell, but that's a generalization in itself. Like I said...it's really a person-to-person basis, revolving around actually meeting people. If you set guidelines based on race, then that is kind of the definition of being racist...lol. But it is one of those forms of racism that doesn't hurt anyone...so who cares?

Also, I'm totally racist against white people. We're a bunch of assholes. :lol:

Well as I've said, I've been with a white girl. Just never as a "serious" girlfriend. It's not that I'm strictly against dating them. Just don't find myself asking them out or going up to them at bars as often as I do others.

...like if you put me in a room with a super attractive brown girl, Asian girl and a white girl, there's a huge chance I'd be more interested in the former two. For a wrestling example, I'd take Aliyah over Peyton or Kay. Easily.

And dude...it's a look thing more than anything else. I'm more attracted to darker skin and I don't think that's racist that I just find them hotter lol.

The preference I mentioned is just based on what I typically find more attractive.

...but I do agree about white people sucking lol.

But, like...judging someone based on their race is the definition of a racist. :lol: It doesn't even have to be a bad thing. The definition of a "racist" is "a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another"...in this case, you think brown girls are better. It's still racism. You're not being selective based on anything else. You're being selective based on race. Lol.

Again...it's harmless. It doesn't harm anyone. It's not ugly racism, but it's still racism. Hahaha.

Lmao I guess that makes sense. Although in that case, I'd be racist against my own race.

And better only as in more attractive!

I should specify that the video was saying how bad it was though. Like it was telling people they need to stop and that it's a serious issue. Treating it like ugly racism.

Archived