IMPACT WRESTLING CANCELLED BY SPIKE TV

limitbreak

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to see folks are "enjoying" this news and having a laugh at a possible company going out of business and many loss of jobs for folks.. Justifies my reasoning for avoiding this thread.

Thought, I'd pop in and say hi anyways.

Glad to see folks are "enjoying" this news and having a laugh at a possible company going out of business and many loss of jobs for folks.. Justifies my reasoning for avoiding this thread.

If they're good at what they do, they'll be hired elsewhere. They should have had the foresight to see this day coming a long time ago and gone elsewhere...like AJ Styles, Jay Lethal, Christopher Daniels, etc. Anyone with 15 working brain cells knew TNA was a sinking ship. As a company, it deserves to die. Nobody is happy about the wrestlers being unemployed...but as I said, they all SHOULD have seen this coming.

They just won't get the same exposure or having that weekly network viewing advantage. Folks are lucky to get Ring of Honor and what's this I'm hearing going on with Sinclair losing money or something?

There's also the "We don't want anyone from TNA" line from Triple H. Which I think he believes in, aside for Rob Van Dam and Sting (mind you with circumstances involved).. CM Punk is gone... They let go of Chris Hero and the recent guys, McIntyre, Mahal, Curt Hawkins.. Now they're getting Devitt, KENTA and Steen.. I don't think they'll really want any more guys especially with the dreaded upcoming news everyone is saying about the WWE Network numbers..

Still.. folks that are laughing and enjoying this news need to re-think that.

Wouldn't be surprised if the WWE network was doing a lot better after that last free trial. I personally saw a lot of people who didn't have the network claim that they were signing up after that. And they're supposed to be launching in other regions soon.

As for the "we don't want TNA talent" line, I think that has more to do with not wanting to encourage wrestlers that they can work for TNA and then be welcome in the WWE anyway. If TNA was to actually become the sinking ship that it seems like it's going to become, I think they would consider signing some of those guys...if not, buying the entire company for archival purposes.

Like Gen said, people should have seen this coming a long time ago. As a fan, I'm only really excited about the possibility of all the awesome talents they have coming to WWE being more strong than ever now that TNA is likely going under, but at the same time, I can't help but laugh at what this company became and how horrid the decision-makers were. I only really feel bad for the not-so-popular wrestlers who'll have a rough time getting signed up, not for the company, not even one bit.

A Spike TV representative issued a statement to PWTorch.com on Monday indicating that there are "ongoing negotiations" between the company and TNA. Earlier today, Dixie Carter tweeted that something similar.

Powell's POV: Here's hoping both parties are being honest, as that would indicate that there is still a chance that TNA could retain its spot on Spike TV. I do have to question why it took so long for both parties to comment publicly on the matter, and I also wonder whether Spike would want to keep hope alive for TNA fans rather than making it seem like the next few months of television are lame duck. Obviously, we'll continue to pass along additional information.

Per Prowrestling.net

I just feel sorry for people like Madison and Taryn who have new baby's, They need these jobs to support the children.

At the very least, they can collect unemployment. I'm going to assume they have boyfriends or husbands to provide for them as well...hopefully.

I doubt Gail would go back to WWE

3000 POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed. To be honest, I feel like Gail would probably just retire.

Which would be a massive shame. Divas are getting a lot more airtime now than when Gail was last there. I hope she at least takes that into consideration.

A Spike TV representative issued a statement to PWTorch.com on Monday indicating that there are "ongoing negotiations" between the company and TNA. Earlier today, Dixie Carter tweeted that something similar.

Powell's POV: Here's hoping both parties are being honest, as that would indicate that there is still a chance that TNA could retain its spot on Spike TV. I do have to question why it took so long for both parties to comment publicly on the matter, and I also wonder whether Spike would want to keep hope alive for TNA fans rather than making it seem like the next few months of television are lame duck. Obviously, we'll continue to pass along additional information.

Per Prowrestling.net

The bold is what I think might be the case.

They still have episodes of the show to be aired, and they want people to watch those shows whether they're going to be discontinuing the show or not.

I want Misatoki here

I want to see his butthurt and him keep on finding ways to defend TNA when it's right now hitting rock bottom.

At the end of the day he proved he was their most loyal fan ever. He hasn't come on in like a year. He saw this coming before all of us and just gave up on life.

I enjoy this news because it means if TNA officially shuts down, we have a load of free agents who can either go to WWE, ROH, GFW, or NJPW and be used PROPERLY. TNA has so much talent in their roster but they have no idea how to utilize it. I don't enjoy the fact that people will be losing their jobs, I enjoy the fact that it means all the wasted talent has new opportunities in front of them. It also means Dixie Carter and Vince Russo can stay the *Censored* away from any wrestling company because they kill everything they touch.

I doubt Gail would go back to WWE

3000 POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed. To be honest, I feel like Gail would probably just retire.

Which would be a massive shame. Divas are getting a lot more airtime now than when Gail was last there. I hope she at least takes that into consideration.

Didn't Gail pretty much quit the company live on Raw in a Battle Royal? That can't do her too many favors getting back in.

Here's (part of) a blog that JR wrote

Jim Ross has posted a second blog on jrsbarbq.com today discussing TNA's situation with Spike TV. Ross commented on speculation that Spike could be looking to purchase TNA and that other networks may be interested in picking them up. Here's part of what he wrote:

"So, Sunday night TMZ reports that Spike TV isn't renewing their current TV rights fee arrangement with Impact Wrestling. I assume that to be true based on how TMZ presented the story but I'm on the outside (luckily) looking in. Today TNA/Impact says that negotiations are still on going with Spike while Spike says that they don't comment on "on going negotiations."

I knew the 'spin' on this matter would be prevalent once I heard the news Sunday night and whether or not this info is 'spin' or merely an update to settle things down, I don't know.

In the world of negotiations, Spike may simply be trying to pay a much lower rights fee to TNA than in the past and have made their position clear by saying that we are not renewing the deal at the current numbers.

Could Spike be thinking like TBS, Turner Broadcasting Systems, when Jim Crockett Promotions found themselves in financial trouble and TBS bought WCW and perhaps be looking to add a pro wrestling brand to their list of properties? Spike/Viacom recently bought out MMA company Bellator....which definitely needs a new name...BTW.

Those would be two fresh, first run programs that appeal to a primary male demo and that seems to be the Spike profile or so it seems to me based on their current programming more often than not.

Why would Spike want to get rid of one of the few shows on their network that garners over 1M viewers per week in prime time? That makes no sense to me but Spike negotiating to keep TNA at a lower dollar does.

Every once in a while many businesses have to hit the reset button and essentially start over with their infrastructure. Simply from what I hear it seems as if that is a timely thing to do for TNA and that process seemingly has already started. 'Crisis Management' was practiced daily by my department in WWE back in the day because we were always only a key injury, etc or two away from being in a dilemma.

Many of today's corporations are too fat and produce too much waste including having multiple people seemingly doing the same tasks. WWE has stated that they are reducing their overhead in a significant way much like we did in the mid 90's and that down sizing seemed to work out well for WWE over time.

Even though the news of TNA 'leaving' Spike is startling to many, especially those that take care of their families via the monies that they earn from TNA, I have a gut feeling that this is a matter that is still in play and that there well could be other cable networks who will have an interest in a TV show that 's first run and can bring a solid audience with them if they change networks.

The key to that last sentence is IF Impact changes networks."

Brings up an interesting point about Spike getting rid of one of the few shows to get 1M+ viewers. Didn't really think about it like that before. Aside from TNA, Spike is pretty much Bar Rescue and Cops. Would be interesting to see what direction Spike would take with TNA if they purchased the company as a whole as well.

Archived