Unpopular Movie Opinions

JGPLX.

The best decade of Hollywood cinema was probably the 70s. You had Godfather, Godfather II, Star Wars, and few other movies that stood out and stands the test of time. But then, I could be wrong due to insufficient knowledge of the movies released in each decade.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best decade of Hollywood cinema was probably the 70s. You had Godfather, Godfather II, Star Wars, and few other movies that stood out and stands the test of time. But then, I could be wrong due to insufficient knowledge of the movies released in each decade.

Yeah, New Hollywood FTW. The decade had such bonafide classics as Taxi Driver, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Chinatown, Annie Hall, Apocalypse Now, and Young Frankenstein; cult classics that include Eraserhead, Phantom of the Paradise, A Clockwork Orange, and Pink Flamingos; and great horror flicks like Halloween, Dawn of the Dead, The Exorcist, Jaws, Alien, and The Texas Chain Saw Massacre.

And that's strictly USA-produced films! There are so many movies outside the U.S. that are just as great: Suspiria, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Day for Night, The Holy Mountain, Don't Look Now, The Wicker Man, Cries and Whispers, Lady Snowblood, Aguirre, the Wrath of God, and soon on...

Unbelievable decade.

IMO Kubrick isn't all that great. Clockwork was alright, but I don't find it remotely as good as a lot of people. Space Odyssey has incredible cinematography, even today, and that I will always love. But the first half is incredibly poorly paced. There's a heavy difference in slow narrative and flat out redundance. In my opinion, it crossed the line and just felt dragged out, despite the great story in itself. The Shining was pretty good, but not AMAZING imo. And even though I love the story itself, Dr. Stangelove wasn't all that either. Personally, I found it to be rather boring.

IMO Kubrick isn't all that great. Clockwork was alright, but I don't find it remotely as good as a lot of people. Space Odyssey has incredible cinematography, even today, and that I will always love. But the first half is incredibly poorly paced. There's a heavy difference in slow narrative and flat out redundance. In my opinion, it crossed the line and just felt dragged out, despite the great story in itself. The Shining was pretty good, but not AMAZING imo. And even though I love the story itself, Dr. Stangelove wasn't all that either. Personally, I found it to be rather boring.

I suggest you read up on Kubrick. There's a lot great stuff written about his movies that may help you appreciate and understand the choices he makes.

I suggest you read up on Kubrick. There's a lot great stuff written about his movies that may help you appreciate and understand the choices he makes.

I did, actually. Well, for a few films anyways. For example, the dullness and irrelevance of humanity's routine in Space Odyssey (funnily enough the one film he doesn't want to explain, hehe) is achieved through the repetetiveness of the scenes, and the lack of actual content in the sparse conversations of the first half. I understand that, and I get why he does it. But personally, I think it could've been achieved in a less boring fashion while still letting us figure out how monotone they really have become.

I'm not saying these things are bad choices by any stretch. I just don't like a lot of them. I think it could've been done better a lot of times.

I did, actually. Well, for a few films anyways. For example, the dullness and irrelevance of humanity's routine in Space Odyssey (funnily enough the one film he doesn't want to explain, hehe) is achieved through the repetetiveness of the scenes, and the lack of actual content in the sparse conversations of the first half. I understand that, and I get why he does it. But personally, I think it could've been achieved in a less boring fashion while still letting us figure out how monotone they really have become.

I'm not saying these things are bad choices by any stretch. I just don't like a lot of them. I think it could've been done better a lot of times.

Fair enough. If it's not your thing, it's not your thing. Personally, I enjoy the film's banality and deliberate, leisure pacing very much. To me it's not boring, it's calming and supplementary to the serenity of the picture while at the same time helps build anticipation and anxiety for when something dramatic does happen. Barry Lyndon is like that too (if not more); it has a stately pace that frequently suppresses action. So if you're not a fan with the way 2001 is paced, then stay far away from Barry Lyndon (if you haven't already). Lol.

What's your opinion on Full Metal Jacket?

Haven't seen it 'cause I don't really like war films. I'd probably dislike it just because of that.

Yeah, New Hollywood FTW. The decade had such bonafide classics as Taxi Driver, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Chinatown, Annie Hall, Apocalypse Now, and Young Frankenstein; cult classics that include Eraserhead, Phantom of the Paradise, A Clockwork Orange, and Pink Flamingos; and great horror flicks like Halloween, Dawn of the Dead, The Exorcist, Jaws, Alien, and The Texas Chain Saw Massacre.

And that's strictly USA-produced films! There are so many movies outside the U.S. that are just as great: Suspiria, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Day for Night, The Holy Mountain, Don't Look Now, The Wicker Man, Cries and Whispers, Lady Snowblood, Aguirre, the Wrath of God, and soon on...

Unbelievable decade.

Bollywood movies especially were great during this decade, though the decade ushered in an era of violence, where the plot tended to be singular. But for Hollywood, if the Indiana Jones series and Die Hard came out, the 70s would be THE perfect decade.

Young Frankenstein was such a great parody movie. One of the few parodies that are actually funny.

Haven't seen it 'cause I don't really like war films. I'd probably dislike it just because of that.

What is it about war films you don't like? I ask this because I wouldn't call Full Metal Jacket your typical war film, so you may be interested in seeing it in spite of the genre it's grouped in.

Unbelievable decade.

Bollywood movies especially were great during this decade, though the decade ushered in an era of violence, where the plot tended to be singular. But for Hollywood, if the Indiana Jones series and Die Hard came out, the 70s would be THE perfect decade.

Young Frankenstein was such a great parody movie. One of the few parodies that are actually funny.

I haven't gotten into Bollywood films, yet. I've only seen clips from a few of the iconic ones like Mother India and Gumnaam, which I liked.

And nah, I'm fine with '70s cinema just the way it is. :D

What is about war films you don't like? I ask this because I wouldn't call Full Metal Jacket your typical war film, so you may be interested in seeing it in spite of the genre it's grouped in.

Mostly the dramatic "Soldier loses someone in war, deep psychological wounds, everything's grey." And if it has the patriotic element to it, then it becomes even worse. I don't know why, but it bothers me more with films that aren't fictional (or at least roughly follow a real war/event)

But I suppose I can give it a try nevertheless whenever I need something to watch. :)

What is about war films you don't like? I ask this because I wouldn't call Full Metal Jacket your typical war film, so you may be interested in seeing it in spite of the genre it's grouped in.

Mostly the dramatic "Soldier loses someone in war, deep psychological wounds, everything's grey." And if it has the patriotic element to it, then it becomes even worse. I don't know why, but it bothers me more with films that aren't fictional (or at least roughly follow a real war/event)

But I suppose I can give it a try nevertheless whenever I need something to watch. :)

Yeah, I'm with you. I don't watch that many war films myself for those reasons mostly. Full Metal Jacket lacks that sentimentality and it's apolitical. It's a grim film, though, and certainly has a psychological component to it -- but it's not like how you described. So yeah, give it a shot.

And nah, I'm fine with '70s cinema just the way it is. :D

I can suggest good films if you want. Just send me a PM letting me know what genre you're interested in. I don't know if you'd enjoy Sholay, but it's one of the best Bollywood movies in history, and one of my favorites. Long as *Censored* though.

• 2 weeks later...

Horror movies suck ass now. Everything's a damn "my son is possessed" story now

It's true. Trying to think of the last horror movie I actually enjoyed and I'm drawing a blank.

Also, I don't know if this is what prompted you to post this...but, that commercial for 'Sinister 2'...every time I see it, I'm like "When did Sinister 1 sneak through?" :lol:

Archived