What happened to Drew McIntyre?

Gooner Lad

August 2009 - Drew debuts on SmackDown (after a failed run in late 2007)

December 2009 - Drew wins the Intercontinental title

March 2010 - WrestleMania debut

2011 - Drafted to Raw, a show he barely/rarely appears on

When Drew McIntyre was on SmackDown in 2009/2010, he got a great long-term push. He had a fairly long reign as the IC champion, and his gimmick was that he was Vince McMahon's Chosen One. Everything seemed to be going well for him, even when he lost the title he was having upper midcard feuds with Kofi Kingston and Matt Hardy. Then later on he was placed in a mix-and-match tag team with Dashing Cody Rhodes, and they held the tag titles for a bit before losing them and breaking up. After that, you could say creative have done nothing for him, as he has done nothing of significance since then.

I'm won't lie here, I didn't like McIntyre at first, I thought he was crap. But the push WWE had given him meant that I never really lost interest in him. Mostly now he'll have matches on Superstars, and his consistency on the show of having good matches made me realise that I may have been harsh on him back when he was first around. I mean, I thought people like Christian and Matt Hardy (proper vets of the WWE) were making him look better than he was, but seeing him having good TV matches with other misused wrestlers like Masters (whose never on Raw) and Bourne (who should be more than a glorified jobber-to-the-stars) made me know gor sure that Drew has PLENTY of potential to be a top star. But for months now he has been misused and underused by WWE management (like so many others in the past and present).

What I was wondering though is what derailed the McIntyre push of 2009/2010? Was it that he wasn't incredibly over during that time where was super-pushed, was it due to the failure of "The Dashing Ones" getting over as a tag team as well, or (and this is what I think) is Drew suffering from the incident with Tiffany which saw her arrested and eventually released by the company over the summer of last year? We've know that Vince likes to push guys who look like they can be champions (remember reports in the past that Morrison and Daniel Bryan wouldn't be main eventers because they didn't look like "tough men"), so was Drew's domestic incident with his ex Tiffany the cause of his onscreen demotion? This "revalation" did come about around the time that Drew's push was cooling off...

You know, when McIntyre debuted, I absolutely hated the guy. He didn't show any wrestling skill in his first few months. It was somewhere around that feud with Hardy and Kofi that he began showing me some actual skill. Ironically, that's also around the time he started to go down hill. After that feud with Hardy(which could have gotten way bigger, maybe a ladder match for the IC title?) his character began to become boring again.

IMO, what should have happened with him was maybe have Vince come out with him a few times, serve as a manager to an extent, but overturn the refs decisions at times since he's the boss. This could have led Drew to becoming number one contender for the Worlds title. He would go on to win that and then turn his back on Vince, becoming a ruthless heel while Vince hires guys to pursue Drew and his title, ideally, guys hes had history with.

The Tiffany thing I think really did derail him, but while on Smackdown he still competed in the Elimination Chamber and everything.

Actually seeing how good he was in the Elimination Chamber and seeing the great crowd reactions he got there made me think they were going to push him again down the line, maybe it will still happen because I think Drew has major potential and has really grown into his own.

I just hope they haven't given up on him.

As Drew returned since his fall off the stage with Show/Henry? I think Drew has a badass look, and he's really over with the ladies in the audience. I really enjoy his matches on Superstars, I don't know if he needs a face turn or just be more agressive. Whatever works I guess, I think he should go back to Smackdown. Dominate there for a few months and I can easily see him as Mr. Money in the Bank next year.

I really liked Drew, I always enjoy debuting superstars who dominate and build up win streaks for a while. But the thing is Drew's only gimmick is the "Sinister Scotsman", which means he's an asshole who indiscriminately beats up everyone at any time. Then he had that dead end angle with Kelly Kelly, during which he showed a nice side (can't remember if he was ever actually a face). Without the "sinister", he is just the scotsman, and so has no gimmick at all.

If he is to get air time on RAW, it has to be him destroying jobbers on for a while, to re-establish his mean-streak. I'm not sure if that would last at all, but I can't think of what to add to his character to make him stand out :fedup:

He's been really bad ever since he debuted. He's such a boring character, and wrestler. He's one of the few guys I genuinely hate watching.

This x 261816

Seriously, so many people say how great Drew is, but since his debut I've just thought he was extremely boring both in-ring and on the mic.

Drew suffering from the incident with Tiffany which saw her arrested and eventually released by the company over the summer of last year? We've know that Vince likes to push guys who look like they can be champions (remember reports in the past that Morrison and Daniel Bryan wouldn't be main eventers because they didn't look like "tough men"), so was Drew's domestic incident with his ex Tiffany the cause of his onscreen demotion? This "revalation" did come about around the time that Drew's push was cooling off...

This (The Tiffany part). The whole incident (which made me LOL'd hard at the time) screwed both Drew and Tiffany's careers. Tiffany was released and I think it's the curse of "1/2 of a couple/relative still in WWE, the other released" and Drew just basically got screwed. Wouldn't be surprised to see him released tomorrow or today.

He's been really bad ever since he debuted. He's such a boring character, and wrestler. He's one of the few guys I genuinely hate watching.

I thought I was the only one, I don't see the hype or anything special about him hes just there.

Archived