Comic Discussion

Lunchbox

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sFpO2.jpg

only thing worse than a bomb on a speeding train is three bombs. Hidden inside the skulls of three different people. All on the same speeding train. And the Birds of Prey – Black Canary, Starling, Katana and Poison Ivy – know the names of only two of these walking bombs. Don’t miss the shocking revelation that will rewrite the rules of the team forever! Yes, we know it’s only issue #4! Guest starring Batgirl!

Epicsauceness.

Got around to reading a few more #1's:

Batman & Robin: I get that the Batman universe was basically exempt from the reboot, but I still was expecting this to be more of a #1 issue than it was. Especially for someone like me who didn't really follow comics until recently, I would have liked them to introduce the characters and situations a little better. Plus, Bruce and Damian don't have a ton of chemistry, in my opinion, because their so similar. Robin is supposed to be the loose one, and Batman is the straight-laced one. I might pick up #2, but I don't have high hopes.

Deathstroke: Very cheesy and over the top, but it fit with the character. But again, it didn't really seem like a #1, because the whole premise is that Deathstroke is at the tail end of his career. I did like the issue though, and I'll probably pick up #2 to see where it's going.

Mister Terrific: This one was one of my favorites. Since I know nothing about the character, I liked that they did a good job introducing him and telling up what he's all about. And it's interesting to have a liberal atheist super-hero. This character is very politically charged though, so if that turns you off, you probably won't like this. I will definitely be continuing with this series.

Batwing: I really liked this one as well. It has a very interesting premise and character. They also did a good job introducing the character, which is a good thing since he's an all new character. I will also be keeping up with this series.

Got around to reading a few more #1's:

Batman & Robin: I get that the Batman universe was basically exempt from the reboot, but I still was expecting this to be more of a #1 issue than it was. Especially for someone like me who didn't really follow comics until recently, I would have liked them to introduce the characters and situations a little better. Plus, Bruce and Damian don't have a ton of chemistry, in my opinion, because their so similar. Robin is supposed to be the loose one, and Batman is the straight-laced one. I might pick up #2, but I don't have high hopes.

They didn't do this because most of the Bruce-Damian stuff (Talia revealing his existence, the fight for custody, etc) is kind of really still canon. Just like how the Killing Joke is still canon.

It also depends on which Robin you're talking about, because they've all be SO different. Damian's my least-favorite though. In most of his comics, he overuses the phrase/saying "I've been trained by the league of assassins, I can take you down blahblah".

Read Daredevil Yellow, it's very great and Jeph Loeb does his finest. Never read a Daredevil comic before, so the narrative of him writing a letter to a dead Karen Page to explain his origins was a bit confusing since they don't tell you how Karen dies, so I had to look it up.

Currently working on the Dark Phoenix Saga, and moving on to possibly Marvel Boy by Grant Morrison.

• 3 weeks later...

Catwoman #1 = Extremely Lame

Static Shock #1 = Very interesting! Thought the ending is a good cliffhanger that makes me want to get the next issue.

Schism #5 = Great but lacked in some aspects, Art was amazing

Batman and Robin #1 = Very good. Love the slight changes to Damian. Love him now.

Marvel Season One preview book is available, may be at your LCS (Local Comic Shop). These comics look okay but are still a bad idea.

I used to hate Damian too. I never liked his overuse of the phrase "I was trained by the league of assassins" shit but they changed him and he's actually pretty funny. Loved how Bruce called him an Arrogant Ten Year Old and he basically dissed his grandparents

Speaking of Damian, I saw this on a site a long time ago and thought it was funny.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/06/23/robin-damian-wayne-letters-dick-grayson-nightwing/

I liked Damian as character in Batman and Robin with DickBats. I also liked him when he appeared in other books such as Batgirl and Teen Titans. Damian is best when paired with someone witty like Dick Grayson, Batgirl (Steph), or Ravager/Rose Wilson (Teen Titans). There's little reasoning that there would interesting banter between two people who are both fairly grimdark, which is why Bruce and Damian together is a boring pairing.

My favorite titles of DCnU are Agent Frankenstein, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, and Demon Knight. I found Bat-Wing surprisingly good. On the Marvel side, I thought Schism was bullshit. It was fairly anti-climatic and the split seemed very forced. I'm not even sure what I feel about the books after the split.

I was going to pick up Volume 2 yesterday but they changed artists and it really thew me off, ill eventually pick it up but i was really disappointed since that is what drew me to the first book.

LOL @ those letters to Grayson. The last one made me lose it.

The only reason I liked Damian in Reborn was because of the Dick/Damian combo, they worked well together.

Anyone check out the Dark Knight #1? It was pretty good, I'll be picking up the next one, the only thing is

why does Two-Face want to be called One-Face now? He still has two faces. >.>

I still have to check out Batman #1, and I'm also gonna sit down and reread the first volume of the Amazing Spider-Man (441 issues).

• 2 weeks later...

So I just finally started reading Batman Year One, where should I go from here? I want to stay on Batman for now, and I haven't really read anything so any suggestions are welcome. I had planned on The Dark Knight Returns but if someone has any better ideas I'm open to them as well.

So I just finally started reading Batman Year One, where should I go from here? I want to stay on Batman for now, and I haven't really read anything so any suggestions are welcome. I had planned on The Dark Knight Returns but if someone has any better ideas I'm open to them as well.

Hush, Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, The Killing Joke, or Knightfall.

And does anyone know if they're gonna release trade paperbacks of the New 52? I'm not really a fan of single issues.

~ Batgirl (Stephanie Brown's run = Epic)

~ Hush

~ The Black Glove

~ Batman: RIP

~ Final Crisis

~ Batman: Reborn

~ Batman: Streets of Gotham

~ Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne

~ Batman Inc.

Hush, Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, The Killing Joke, or Knightfall.

And does anyone know if they're gonna release trade paperbacks of the New 52? I'm not really a fan of single issues.

-The Killing Joke

-TLH

-Dark Victory

-Hush Vol 1 and 2

-No Man's Land

• 1 month later...

While you didn't ask for X-Men suggestions, I'd suggest Mike Carey's X-Men/X-Men Legacy run and PAD's Madrox/X-Factor. Carey's X-Men run is a throwback to the 90s, though with better writing. It's Rogue-centric and at various times has had Magneto, Mystique,Sabretooth, Cannonball, and Cable on the team. He even did his own version of Age of Apocalypse (one of my favorite storylines ever). Madrox/X-Factor is different than most X-Men comics and most comics in general. Technically, I guess it would be considered superhero noir, but it's less noir and more the main character (Madrox) approaching the world as film noir.

I know this was months ago but I've since read X-Men: Legacy, Madrox, and X-Factor and love them all, especially X-Factor which I still have plenty more to read. Great recommendations!

So what issues of the new 52 are people keeping up with so far im only reading Batman, Nightwing, and Green Lantern. Im way behind on things and wanna check out some more.

Thanks who ever found and merged this for me! :D

That would be me.

I've finally gotten into the New 52 and enjoy Batman, Action Comics, Wonder Woman, and Batwoman. There's some stuff I plan on catching up on eventually like Justice League and Swamp Thing but I could only get so much.

Can anyone tell me if Red Hood and the Outlaws is showing to be any good?

Nothing special so far, and a horrifying nightmare for Starfire fans.

It would be a smart move on DC's part and when it comes to marketing and selling this reboot they've been all smart so far. I don't know if there's anything they've said on it at this point though.

It would be a smart move on DC's part and when it comes to marketing and selling this reboot they've been all smart so far. I don't know if there's anything they've said on it at this point though.

I actually found the details on this the other day. The first batch of hardcovers will come out in May.

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/11/09/dc-comics-the-new-52-hardcovers-coming-in-2012/

Archived