Comic Discussion

Lunchbox

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Red Hood & The Outlaws any good?

Also what are some good Marvel comics to read, ive been reading nothing but DC Comics lately.

I haven't heard many good things about Red Hood, Scott Lobdell is writing it and he kind of oversexed all of the female characters and destroyed Starfire's character. I personally haven't read it myself so I can't tell you too much other then what I heard.

Some good Marvel books out right now

Daredevil - Mark Waid is currently writing this series and he is really knocking it out of the park with every issue that comes out. Marvel has this thing called "Point One" where every so often a series will get a .1 numbered issue where they will catch the reader up on what exactly has been happening. So Daredevil #10.1 is coming out soon and it will fill in the gaps for new readers.

Winter Soldier - This series just started last month with #1, all you need to know is it is an espionage story where Bucky Barnes AKA Winter Soldier is presumed dead by most of the Marvel universe but is secretly a Spy for S.H.I.E.L.D (or the Avengers I can't remember) with only a select few knowing he is still alive. Written by Ed Brubaker, the king of espionage stories.

Scarlet Spider - If you read the Clone Saga and HATED it, I am in the same boat with you. However, I tried to give myself a reason to dislike this.....but, I can't find one. It is the story of Kaine a failed clone of Peter Parker on his path of redemption after being evil. Kaine is kind of representative of the man Peter would have grown up to be had he not had the guidance of Aunt May and Uncle Ben to mold him into who he is. This is written by Chris Yost and he is handling it pretty well. This concept could have easily fallen flat on it's face and just brought back the bad taste the 90's Spider-Man comics left in everyones mouth. Issue 2 just hit the shelves.

Wolverine and the X-Men - This comic seriously put the fun back in the usually dark and serious "X" comics. Written by Jason Aaron who has written Wolvie before and is kind of on the rise in Marvel ATM writing the flagship Hulk book and the upcoming Avengers vs. X-Men. Anyway, it is the story of Wolverine opening his own school for mutants and all of the hi jinks and problems that used to plague Professor X are now being handled by Wolverine who has maybe 1/100 of the patience. This book sounds like a bad cartoon concept but it is a really good read.

I won't go into too much detail about these but I also recommend Amazing Spider-Man, The Punisher,Journey into Mystery, Captain America, Uncanny X-Men. I might chime in with some more I may have forgotten.

Uncanny X-Force is my shit. Just wanted to pop in and say that.

The Apocalypse Solution and Dark Angel Saga were fantastic reads, I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes from here on.

Just started reading Ultimate Spiderman, which I'm rather enjoying, and also have Daredevil: Guardian Devil lined up to read.

Is Red Hood & The Outlaws any good?

I think it's alright. A lot of people's criticisms of it were due to Starfire's characterization. If you don't know the characte, nor are you against cheesecake (thought it's been toned down), you shouldn't have a problem. Even then the character in later issues has shown some of the same naive and cheerful nature that the Starfire from the other universe had.

Also what are some good Marvel comics to read, ive been reading nothing but DC Comics lately.

Journey into Mystery is one of the funnest titles I've read in a while.

Uncanny X-Force is my shit. Just wanted to pop in and say that.

I have mixed feelings with UXF. The characterization is great (Daredevil is easily the best since the Cable and Deadpool series), but I dislike many of the plots. The current Punisher series is the best I've read, including Garth Ennis' MAX series. Rucka's Punisher is more gritty and noir, with Punisher as more of a force of nature. At times the Punisher is more of a side character with the reader seeing everything through the supporting character's eyes.

Anybody else reading The Huntress mini series from DC? It started off decent and progressively went downhill, it has 1 issue left to go and I feel like it isn't going to improve. The writing from Paul Levitz is just kind of basic and adds no real flare to Huntress as a character. I love Marcus To's artwork though, I am pretty much just hoping she gets her own ongoing with a decent creative.

I read mostly one-shots of limited series. I like to read a lot of Elseworlds publications like Batman: In Darkest Knight and of course Superman: Red Son. I don't really read much of the on-going storylines because I always get lost.

I got the Preacher full set the other day. Haven't been able to start reading it.

I'm really enjoying the Court of Owls arc in Batman right now.

How good is the Dark Knight comic going? I saw the cover of the new issue shows Bane breaking his back

Oh god. Don't read that garbage. Easily the absolute worst Batman book DC is publishing right now.

Archived