Unpopular Wrestling Opinions XII

PaperThinWalls

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My God yeah, it was awful. Legitimately one of the worst things I've EVER seen as a wrestling fan. Especially when you consider that they had so many options to choose from. I mean, Joe returned the next night, Lashley returned the next night, Drew was called up a week later, nope, give it to some ten year old.

The only way it's ever worth it is if Nicholas comes back as a wrestler in 10 years and is actually good.

I can understand that ganeral feeling tbh. At the time I didn't realize how much I appreciated Cena. But the last 3 years he's really won me over. Things just feel bigger when he's around. But that's ultimately WWE's doing. They didn't take time to build many new stars like they could've.

Absolutely agree. You can't really call something a "moment" as it's happening. It proves itself to be a "moment" if people are talking about it for years to come.

You absolutely can acknowledge something as a special moment while it's happening. Of course you can.

The real problem is just with WWE saying it themselves. They sound like Kanye West or some shit...creating something, and then saying it's the "best thing ever". Doing that is absurd no matter what you're talking about...an author for a book, a musician for an album, a wrestling promotion for an event....doesn't matter what it is. When you create something and then say "this is a special thing"...it's *censored*ing intolerable. But, yeah...you can see that a special moment is special while it's happening. How can you not? But it's the fan's position to say that, not the entity responsible for creating the moment. They don't get to say that themselves. Not in a staged setting where the event is scripted and pre-determined. It's different for boxing, MMA, etc...but not WWE. They aren't allowed to script a moment and then call it a moment.

What I meant is that there are plenty of times something is happening that is really great, enjoyable, maybe even special. But I think its real solidification as a "moment" is largely dependent on just how big of an impact it makes. And that's something that we can't fairly say until time has passed and we see if it was just a single night of ecstasy, or if it's really something that has changed the landscape forever and will always be pointed to as a moment in history.

I remember during WrestleMania 27, someone was raving about Cody Rhodes stalling superplex to Rey Mysterio (I think it was the first time someone had done it in WWE), I believe the exact quote was "you could hear the crowd slowly getting louder and louder during the stall, knowing that a WrestleMania moment was being made before their very eyes". Less than a decade later, said match is rarely mentioned, let alone the "moment".

^Fair example, but conversely, Zack Ryder's IC title win didn't mean shit but when it happened, people knew it was a big moment.

I don't really care when a moment becomes a moment, I just hate the commentators screaming 'what a Wrestlemania moment!' all the *censored*ing time.

Archived