Official Royal Rumble Discussion Thread

Jmerc

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because he went over Reigns and Daniel right? Pretty sure he's high on Rollins. Why would he go over...?

??
Riveting dialogue.
You got worked up over sarcasm. Nerd.
Well can't deny...I did. lol
Haha I was just trying to hint at it!

Roman doesn't have much charisma. WTF. He has a good look and puts on fun matches every now and then. That's about it.

I'm sure a lot of things tie in to having charisma--a wrestler's appearance being a big one, IMO. That alone can really get the audience invested in you right away, which envokes a genuine reaction - whether it's cheers and boos.

It's also the little things like the way people walk to the ring, how they execute moves, particular facial expressions and mannerisms, etc. Just look at Shinsuke Nakamura, for example.

You don't necessarily need good mic skills to be charismatic.

Infact...Quite often the opposite is the case. Just look at Hulk Hogan, for example. Or half-drunk Ric Flai

What? Hluk Hogan and Flair didn't have mic skills? WHAT?

Corbin sounds a bit emotionless when he is reciting lines. When he talks freely, he does pretty well for himself. I like his mid-match trash talking a lot too, though that's more so because it's hilarious. "YOU SHOULD GO BACK TO RING OF HONOR!" XD

Agree with all of this. I don't care for his scripted promos but I love him on Talking Smack.

Infact...Quite often the opposite is the case. Just look at Hulk Hogan, for example. Or half-drunk Ric Flai

Uhm...yeah? That's nothing new?

Umm... yes it is? Hulk Hogan's promos are legendary, both as a face and as Hollywood Hogan, and Ric Flair is widely regarded as one of the best promos in wrestling history...

Umm... yes it is? Hulk Hogan's promos are legendary, both as a face and as Hollywood Hogan, and Ric Flair is widely regarded as one of the best promos in wrestling history...

1. Remind me of a single Hulk Hogan promo that he's known for. A promo in which he didn't botch half-a-second into it.

2. I said half-drunk Ric Flair. You know...the one that would forget his line and then just start RicFlaring the mic?

1. Remind me of a single Hulk Hogan promo that he's known for. A promo in which he didn't botch half-a-second into it.

2. I said half-drunk Ric Flair. You know...the one that would forget his line and then just start RicFlaring the mic?

Just the first one I found. There's probably a hundred great Hogan promos out there.

Not sure what you mean with half-drunk Flair, though. His TNA run? Non drunk Ric Flair is amazing on the mic, though, and even his WWE 2k14 pannel appearence was pretty entertaining :P

But that's exactly what I'm talking about. Hulk Hogan basically cuts/cut the same promo all the time. It was his delivery and his charisma that made it great. The words themselves weren't important. (Besides some of the stuff he said while feuding with people in Japan. That shit was quite good).

And you have definitely heard a crazy Ric Flair promo before. You're a wrestling fan. Crazy-Ric Flair-promos kinda is what made him stand out in his later years in the first place. Sometimes he just started wooing in midst of his promo in order to cover up for forget what he wanted to say. Or often just started rambling random shit. He made it work because he's Ric Flair. Obviously he had some excellent work aswell. But I'm only talking about the crazy ones. Promos, that would be pure shit with someone less charismatic trying to deliver them well.

That's what mic skills are, though. It's undeniable that Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan had great mic skills. When they started cutting a promo you couldn't look away, that's how you know a promo's good.

Nah. That's what charisma is.

There have been some excellent people on the mic, having fantastic promos, but lacking the charisma to deliver them interestingly enough. You can see that quite clearly at a time when most people's promos are given to them almost word by word.

"I do this as a fan of Eddie Guerrero" (not a literal quote) worked much better with Sasha Banks than with Kalisto, for example, despite it being the same content. A charismatic person can draw people much easier into a promo than a uncharismatic one. That's why HBK, for example, is always seen as the bigger star out of DX, despite Triple H being better on the mic. Or Arn Anderson being massively overshadowed by Ric Flair, despite cutting many solid promos by content.

Mic skills gives the wrestler the knowledge on how to talk appropriate to the situation and their characters. It also helps them to speak comfortably in front of thousands in the audience (and much more behind the TV at home). It has, however, no influence in the perception of the people listening to a promo and you can see it in many feuds throughout the history of wrestling. CM Punk vs Jeff Hardy. Chris Jericho vs Rey Mysterio. Shinsuke Nakamura vs Samoa Joe.

Despite one person clearly being the superior one on the mic in these feuds, both participants were able to face each other on even grounds. Simply because of the charisma or the delivery of the weaker mic. The promos from their side were still...lackluster to say the least.

Archived