Over 100 injured in NJ train crash

Bushy.

Basically, from what I can understand, the train never slowed down. So...either there was a problem with the brakes, or the driver fell asleep, or passed out...but the train basically came into the station at full speed, plowed into the wall, collapsed the ceiling, etc. That says one of four things to me...

1) Brakes failed (but I think they already said they did not)

2) Driver's blood pressure dropped and he passed out.

3) Driver was inebriated.

4) Driver was suicidal.

How do you crash a train for real?

I think last year or so a train went off the tracks or something because the driver passed out due to lack of sleep or exhaustion or something. it happens, and it seems Amtrak has a lot of issues there.

Lowkey sad this never happens when I'm using PATH. Would make for some excitement, but it sucks someone died.

I think I've read something about an emergency system when they don't break, but it takes 60 seconds to activate apparently, so yeah...

Probably only works for moderate speeds. Like...if you were going fast and forgot to brake, it would slow you down a bit; But there's only so much that brakes can do. If a train is going full speed, brakes won't stop it. That's too much weight...too much momentum. A little bit of metal on metal isn't going to slow down that much momentum. If the train knew that it was approaching the station, and also knew that it was going faster than it should be...then that's a different story. It could force a breaking pattern before it even began to move too quickly. But I don't think our current trains work that intelligently.

So I.guess there was some system they wanted to install using more advanced tech that controls trains better in these situations but the state extended the period for installation from2015 to 18. They haven't been able to.determine if.the new system would've prevented the crash but damn... what a hell of a day huh? I read the headline and thought "oh thank the heavens NOBODY died" but unfortunately that one woman got killed :(

This could've been so much worse. These transit guys get murdered on hours sometimes. Those systems need to be put in place sooner rather.than later

Archived