King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

Recently, Colt Cabana interviewed former NXT Superstar CJ Parker aka Juice Robinson for The Art of Wrestling podcast. Below are some highlights (transcript via WrestlingInc.com).

Robinson on his time in WWEs developmental system: It was great. Two years with Dr. Tom Prichard. I felt good. I was working more than I ever have. I was learning. It was a great place for the first few years. It was a lot of fun and I was getting better and I was learning how to work. I was learning how to work there. The first few years, no, Im like, this is going good! Im 22, 23 [years old]. Im learning how to work. Im wrestling all these guys. Colby [Lopez] was down there, Ambrose. Sorry, Seth, Ambrose, a lot of the guys were there. Cesaro was eventually there. The boys were awesome. It was really good. Everything was going the right way, and then, we were doing TVs in this itty-bitty thing in FCW with one camera and it was nothing and it was easy. And I felt like I was getting better. And then, eventually, Dr. Tom out, new guy in. And then, it kind of totally all changed.

Robinson on how some talent that entered the system leapfrogged him: Eventually, that guy became what he was, a guy just to come out and put over people and I felt like, oh man. And all these guys were coming in, right? Sami Zayn came in. Kevin Owens came in. Prince Devitt came in. All these guys, Pac. And they instantly went above me, which they shouldve, 100%, but they had things that I was never going to learn in the PC. Like, they had outside experience. They were great wrestlers for 10 years on the outside.

Robinson on his decision to leave NXT: I knew I was done right before whatever the WrestleMania was in San Francisco [California] San Jose [California]. I knew, okay, Ive got to go now. I figured Id hang around and get fired. They did the first NXT special and, in, like, a big arena and I wasnt on it and I took it personally because I was on all the fking TVs putting people over. Youd think Id come out. Itd be fine if I came out and put somebody over, but I wasnt on it and I was so angry and I made up my mind right there, yup, Im done. Im out. Im going to figure it out. Then I told, I pulled [Giant] Bernard, Baldo, aside and I told him that.

Robinson on wanting to work in NJPW forever: Since I started with New Japan, Ive always just felt like its how it should be in wrestling. Like, youre working hard, youre doing better, you are, and theyre seeing it and youre moving up slowly, not fast. Its about slow. Its not like, okay, here he is. Alright, put him on TV! Oh, he didnt get over in two weeks? No? Now, youre a jobber. No way! They get it there. its just a slow burn, a slow climb. Its the best wrestling in the world. I love it. Robinson added, I want to work there forever. Its funny, sometimes, my friends will be like, when are you coming back and Im always like, I dont know how to answer that because if Im just going to answer you, Im not, but you never know.'

http://411mania.com/wrestling/former-nxt-superstar-cj-parker-praises-njpw-discusses-his-time-in-nxt-and-more/

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely happy with how Juice turned out. I admit, I didn't see much in him when I first started watching him in NXT...he was just that guy who jobbed...like he said. But you could really tell that he had a fire in him when he left...and he's been one of my favorite parts of NJPW since he's been there. Also...that palm strike that broke KO's nose. Never forget. :lol: That was unintentional (obviously)...but it really felt like the start of something bigger.

Today The Two Man Power Trip of Wrestling goes international as we travel all the way to New Zealand to be chat with a founding father of the Bullet Club and the group’s muscle known as the “Underboss” Bad Luck Fale joins episode number #244. Hear Fale’s rise to becoming The Underboss as well as the story of formation of The Bullet Club and how they became one of the most dominant factions in professional wrestling history. The full 60 minute interview can be heard below, and you can read some excerpts below:

Bad Luck Fale on the original formation of The Bullet Club:

“It all started while we were there in Japan just enjoying life. We were enjoying our matches and we were just doing whatever we wanted to unless the office stepped in and said you cannot do that. Just playing around I think it was Prince Devitt (Finn Balor) and Karl Anderson even before we started the Bullet Club maybe one tour before I got there they threw up the “too sweet” sign after one of their matches. When we all got together we got Tama (Tonga) and Anderson to join me and Devitt in the ring and we all looked at each other and said let’s throw it up and it just blew up from there. It was just a show of respect to the guys who came before us and for the nWo who we all loved and admired. We had so much fun doing it and doing it that there you go it’s back and popular again.”

Rumors of heat from Kevin Nash for using the “too sweet” hand gesture but instead Nash giving his blessing:

“I’ve never met them yet but he (Kevin Nash) is one of my favorite wrestlers of all time and when I heard him saying that I was happy to hear that. I was happy they didn’t put it down because it was just a sign of respect and for them to see it that way as well I was glad.”

Beating Nakamura for IWGP Intercontinental Championship and being one of few men to defeat him:

“I can say when I was a “young boy” (a trainee) he was one of the influential guys who came in and taught us how to wrestle and taught us all our kickboxing and grappling and he was there at the (NJPW) Dojo teaching us. When I ended up facing him in a singles match it was an amazing feeling and I knew that I had to prove myself not just to everybody but to him as well. Him (Nakamura) being as big a star as he was I needed to step up my game and show people that I can hang with those at that level. He was one of the guys that was very influential in my career and to be able to beat him for that belt and where he was the one who took that belt to the next level and turned it into the same level as the IWGP (World Title) but to take it from him I can’t explain the feeling. That moment when I won and all the boys came out and came in the ring and sat me down on a chair, there is a photo that we all have and with the original boys standing around me I have that hanging in my gym.”

Did he feel Nakamura elevated him to the next level:

“It was after the finals of the New Japan Cup. That’s when I knew and I told myself you can do this. Before the match I kept saying to myself that you have to step up and do this to prove to everybody that you are one of the top guys and after the New Japan Cup is when I realized that I can be one of the guys that you can put in any match and I’ll step up.”

Did Finn Balor’s departure to WWE seem like the end of the Bullet Club:

“When he left I knew he was going to chase his dreams but I had no doubt that at the time we had Karl Anderson and to me he was the real leader after Devitt left. Karl Anderson stepped up when Devitt left and before AJ came so he stepped up, took the helm and kept the Bullet Club together and that gave the chance for AJ to come along.”

Popularity of The Bullet Club in The United States:

“I was very surprised. Here is a group of guys who wrestled in Japan and never had any TV time in America so how did these guys become known all over the world? It was very surprising but I do credit social media (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram) but it wasn’t until everybody like The Young Bucks, Luke Gallows and AJ came along and we all got together that is where things blew up because everybody had their own following. We decided to do everything together. If you get a shirt we all wear it and that is why the Bullet Club shirt became so famous because we all got together and wore the same shirt every single match, took photos and put them up on every social media outlet we could and I think that is how it blew up so big.”

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/808083-bad-luck-fale-on-the-formation-of-the-bullet-club-losing-finn-balor-beating-nakamura-heat-with-nwo

The following matches have been announced for the NJPW 45th anniversary show. The show takes place on March 6th and will air live on New Japan World at 5AM ET

* Tetsuya Naito, SANADA, EVIL & BUSHI vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Michael Elgin, KUSHIDA & Juice Robinson

* RPW British Heavyweight Title Match: Champion Katsuyori Shibata vs. Zack Sabre Jr

* IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title Match:Champion Hiromu Takahashi vs. Ryusuke Taguchi

* IWGP Junior Tag Team Title match: Champions Roppongi Vice vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Taichi

* IWGP Tag Team Title Match: Champions Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano vs. Tomoaki Honma & Togi Makabe

* Non-Title Match: Kazuchika Okada vs. Tiger Mask W (Kota Ibushi)

http://411mania.com/wrestling/matches-announced-for-njpws-45th-anniversary-show-zack-sabre-jr-debuts/

To me the NEVER 3 Man title is an opportunity waiting to happen. To many people (including the English announcers) it has been relegated to a joke simply because of how frequent it changes hands, but what if a team were to hold it for a long time?

I would love nothing more than for a team like LIJ to manage to hold on to it until Wrestle Kingdom 12 or so. It would be a major push to both the team and the titles.

According to The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, both Cody Rhodes and Sabre Jr. are going to be working out of NJPW as their main promotion in 2017. With the addition of Zack Sabre Junior to the mix, the 2017 Best of The Super Juniors tournament will be one of the most stacked tournaments in BOTSJ history with Dragon Lee, Hiromu Takahashi, Volador Jr., Ricochet, Young Bucks, Sabre, Will Ospreay, Baretta, Romero and Finlay all planned for the tournament.

http://411mania.com/wrestling/cody-rhodes-zack-sabre-junior-working-njpw-as-their-main-promotion/

New Japan World has added a brand new interview with Kenny Omega hyping his return to the company. The Bullet Club leader has been absent since the night after Wrestle Kingdom 11, where he was defeated in the biggest match of his career by IWGP Heavyweight Champion Kazuchika Okada. The interview is somewhat in-character for Omega, who will be returning to the ring early Sunday morning for the first of two Honor Rising events at Korakuen Hall.

Welcome back to Tokyo how are you doing?

I had this dream where I would own 2016, and roll right into 2017 as the IWGP Heavyweight Champion. It didnt happen. Tokyo Dome was a gigantic, monstrous failure. I lost the big one in front of my fans, in front of my family; heck, I lost the big match in front of my family. How embarrassing. So I had to take time to think whats next for Kenny? Is Japan even next for Kenny? It is.

The match on January 4th was a global phenomenon. How did it make you feel?

Im hearing, this match is the greatest match that Ive ever seen. This match might be the greatest professional wrestling match of all time. And when I hear it, I think thats great, but that was the match that I lost. What about those other matches that I won? Shouldnt those be the greatest matches ever? I won those ones! But the one that I lost was the greatest match ever? Thats enough to drive a match insane. So I have to make the wrong, right. Greatest match ever? Six star match? No problem. Forget about stars. Forget about match ratings. Forget about how many people were watching, how many people thought it sucked, or how many people thought their dad could beat up my dad. I dont care about that anymore. Now its just about revenge. And I dont mean against Okada. I want to revenge the loss, and take that title.

This year is supposed to be my year. It was made to be my year. Theres no one else that can lead New Japan into this new generation. Its always gonna be me, its always meant to be me. I want all the other wrestlers to fight for the scraps, like the peasants that they are. Theyre not on my level, cmon. So Im coming back here, Im gonna put in the work, one more time. I dont care how I have to do it. You want to throw me into another tournament? Okay, fine. Ill win another god damn tournament. You want me to put my body on the line, put my soul on the line, again? I just did a whole damn year of it. Ill do it again. I dont care, as long as I have the belt. This company is mine. This country, this countrys wrestling, is mine. I took over, I changed the style, I changed the way that you see things, I changed the way you enjoy it. Im giving you the best wrestling that youve ever seen in your lives. It will continue as me as your champion, and me as your king. Get ready to kneel.

Has your mindset changed since January 4th?

I wanted to have this IWGP Heavyweight belt, because I thought if I had it I could control the country of wrestling. That New Japan would be mine, and that I could do with it what I see fit. I want to defend in America? So be it. I want to defend it in Canada? So be it. I am the champion, he makes the rules. Now I have no belt, so essentially I have no power. I dont like that.

People have seen me bleed. Theyve seen my cry. And theyre starting to like me Why do you like me? Im a bad person. You shouldnt like me. I dont care if you like me, but I will be the hero and the leader that this company needs to survive. You dont think theyre coming for you? Do you think this continues, the way that were going, that well be safe from the outside forces looking to invade? You are not. You need me. You need my success. Cheer for me if you want, boo me if you want. Hate me as a human being, if you want, but at the end of the day I will be the only one able to protect this country, and this promotion, from all the invaders looking to take New Japan away from you.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/809493-kenny-is-back-njpw-posts-brand-new-interview-w-kenny-omega-on-his-wrestle-kingdom-match-why-he-came-back-more

Just watched today's Honor Rising show. Bucks vs War Machine was a good, fun match, Dalton Castle with Tana and Taguchi was hilarious as you'd expect, Shibata and Cody interaction was cool and the main event was great, good to have Kenny back. The post-match promo was good as well. Overall ok show, the first 3 matches are defo skippable.

Watching now. Probably add thoughts as I go along.

Yo...War Machine actually beat the Bucks? I dig it.

That deadlift German suplex spot with Castle and Martinez was amazing. So much build. So beautifully executed.

How did Adam Cole get that hematoma?

Cole and Omega vs Briscoes was a fun match indeed.

Looking forward to whatever comes of the inevitable Omega/Cole feud.

Good event. Ready for day 2.

Guest Fight Me.

Just watched the Elite stream, Cole's lump is from a punch in the head from Dalton Castle. :lol: He says he needs to have it surgery removed but hasn't had the time, but he's fine. And he's had it longer than we've thought, since October apparently.

Okay...something I've always wondered and just kinda dismissed for whatever reason...

How come the match screens for NJPW have some names in the Japanese symbols...and others are just spelled in English? And it isn't even a case of foreign wrestlers or Japanese ones...it's pretty random. Like this first match of the Honor Rising Day 2 card...everything is Japanese except for 'KUSHIDA'.

Archived