King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay...something I've always wondered and just kinda dismissed for whatever reason...

How come the match screens for NJPW have some names in the Japanese symbols...and others are just spelled in English? And it isn't even a case of foreign wrestlers or Japanese ones...it's pretty random. Like this first match of the Honor Rising Day 2 card...everything is Japanese except for 'KUSHIDA'.

some names are legit names that can be written with symbols, others aren't. Especially all the CAPS ONLY names.

Here are the updated brackets for the 2017 NJPW New Japan Cup. The first two shows take place on March 11th (4AM ET) and 12th (2MA ET) on New Japan World. 411 will have live coverage of the shows

* March 11th: EVIL vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi

* March 11th: Tomoaki Honma vs. Tanga Roa

* March 11th: Michael Elgin vs. Bad Luck Fale

* March 11th: Tama Tonga vs. Toru Yano

* March 12th: Katsuyori Shibata vs. Minoru Suzuki

* March 12th: Juice Robinson vs. Yujiro Takahashi

* March 12th: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Kenny Omega

* March 12th: YOSHI-HASHI vs. SANADA

There will also be shows on March 13, 14, 15, and 17, which will not air live. The semifinals and finals will air on the 19th (1AM ET) and 20th (1AM ET). The winner earn a title shot at a singles title of their choosing.

http://411mania.com/wrestling/updated-2017-new-japan-cup-brackets/

Just finished watching the night two of Honor Rising. This Punisher Martinez dude is interesting. Cagematch says he started wrestling in 2004 but only lists matches since 2012 so I think it's wrong. The dude's voice caught me off guard and I thought the match with Goto was pretty good. The main event was awesome as were the post match promo and backstage interview.

Night 2 of the New Japan Cup sounds lit with Omega vs Ishii and Shibata vs Suzuki. Here are my predictions for the tourney:

njcup.png

Omega wins!

Finally got around to watching both of the Honor Rising events.

• The tension that was teased between Omega/Cole on Day 1 was done well i thought.
  • I felt Cody had a much better showing these 2 days then in his entire match with Juice, he actually felt like he belonged in BC now.
  • Tanahashi as one of the boys... enough said. :lol:
  • Rocky Romero had great moments on commentary, much better than Don" i'm as boring as drying paint" Callis.
  • G.O.D vs. War Machine was awesome.
  • Good showing for Yoshi-Hashi in the ROH world title match. YOSHI-HASHI BAY BAY! :XD:
  • Dalton Castle should be a mainstay in NJPW.
  • Finally a succesful defense of the 6 man tag titles was good to see.
  • Delirious back in the ring was fun as ever. That one moment when he picked up Evil on his shoulders during Day 2, "He is heavy as hell" :lol:
  • Final 8 man tag i thought was the best match of both shows, such a fun fast paced match.

Overall 2 very good days, much better than last years Honor Rising events.

Do you have a NJPW World subscription?

Cuz, it's like...right there... :lol:

2vwuxll.jpg

Anyway, I like the prospect of Okada vs Tiger Mask W. I might actually watch that live, since it's on at 5am ET, rather than 4. That seems like something I might be able to convince my body to tolerate...if I can get to sleep early that night.

Are Broken Hardys too outrageous for Japan?

Well, let's see...you have a dude who calls himself the 'time splitter', inferring that he travels through time...you have Kenny Omega and Young Bucks (being as ridiculous as they are)...you have guys like Punisher Martinez and EVIL, who think they're...well...evil. Yeah...I think Broken Hardys would be just fine in Japan. However, a lot would be lost in translation for the viewers who don't speak English. Most of the Broken gimmick is delivered through promos. Not only would people not fully understand those words, but NJPW doesn't really have promos in general. The Hardys would have to sell their gimmick entirely in-match...and in interviews.

More:

New Japan Pro Wrestling veteran Tomoaki Honma had to be stretchered out of an event on Friday after suffering a severe injury during his match.

Honma was competing in a six-man tag match alongside Togi Makabe and Michael Elgin against Jado, Toru Yano and Tomohiro Ishii when the incident occured.

According to those in attendance … Jado hit the 40-year-old with a DDT late in the match, but the wrestler landed wrong due to one of his feet being caught in the ropes. He then became unresponsive.

Doctors immediately checked on Tomoaki and he was put on a stretcher, then taken to a hospital.

No further word on his condition, but we’ll keep you updated.

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/honma-hospitalized-injured-injury/#.WLmwlhIrJE4?platform=hootsuite

Archived