King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always wondering why there so many huge multi-man tag matches on NJPW shows.

It furthers feuds without gving away the big singles matches they save for PPV's. They can do multiple angles at once like this with all kind of different combinations.

New Japan Pro Wrestling revealed the brackets for the promotion's upcoming New Japan Cup tournament on Monday night. The tournament will take place later this March.

The opening rounds are scheduled for March 11th and 12th and will air live on New Japan World. The first round matchups are as follows:

The left side of the bracket (March 11th) --

• Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. EVIL
  • Tomoaki Honma vs. Tanga Roa
  • Michael Elgin vs. Bad Luck Fale
  • Toru Yano vs. Tama Tonga

The right side of the bracket (March 12th) --

• Katsuyori Shibata vs. Minoru Suzuki
  • Juice Robinson vs. Yujiro Takahashi
  • Tomohiro Ishii vs. Kenny Omega
  • YOSHI-HASHI vs. SANADA

The winners of these matches will advance to quarterfinal bouts, which will be held on March 13th-17th. Semifinal matches will be held on March 19th, with the final match taking place on the 20th. The last two dates will air live on NJPW World.

At the conclusion of the tournament, the winner will earn a future title shot. The winner chooses which championship they want to challenge for out of that year's given options, and the match usually takes place at NJPW's April pay-per-view. That show will be Sakura Genesis this year in place of Invasion Attack.

http://www.f4wonline.com/japan/njpw-reveals-2017-new-japan-cup-brackets-230881

New Japan Cup 2017 is EVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL!

Elgin out in the first round :o

Wasn't expecting either of those, especially Elgin :o

I have a question, only today's and tomorrow's NJ Cup shows will be live on NJPW world until the finals, right? So what about the other shows? Will they put the rest of the matches online or what?

And the upsets continue.

Ishii advanced over Omega in what can only be called a classic.

Ishii hit Omega with everything but the kitchensink. A Top Rope Hurricanrana!!! Last Ride Powerbomb, Flying knees, numerous counters for the One Winged Angel including a wicked stunner. Ishii had to dig deep in his bag of tricks but in the end he got the job done with his Vertical Brainbuster. Incredible match.

Just finished watching night 2 of the NJ Cup. Ishii vs Omega was awesome, not even mad that Ishii won. I thought Shibata vs Suzuki was kinda underwhelming but maybe it was because the crowd was shit for pretty much the whole show. I also watched it in two sittings so maybe I'll have to watch it again. Anyways, my predictions all went to shit :lol:

I just noticed Yoshi-Hashi has Loose Explosion written around the ass area on the back of his pant now. lmfao

I *censored*ing hate Yoshi-Hashi. What's his gimmick supposed to be? Why does he have a walking cane? I hope the idea to have Loose Explosion on his ass came from a gaijin.

I have a similar opinion on Yoshi-Hashi.

Nothing special in-ring to me, so his following must come strictly from his gimmick.

I always gathered his gimmick was part of that Japanese lore where people have bo-staffs and ride around on clouds...but I have no idea what that part of the Japanese culture is...what the significance is, or what it represents. I'm guessing it's some kind of wizard or shaman imagery. I've seen it in a bunch of different things.

*Edit: I guess that imagery is based on Sun Wukong, the monkey king...which is some old-ass Japanese legend.

Yoshi-Hashi to me is like a reallife anime character.

I'm actually quite a big fan of him. He really broke out this past G1, that's when he gained such a following. I hope he gets a Never Openweight title reign this year.

Ishii getting the W over Omega sounds intolerable to me...regardless of how good the fight was.

Anyway, I'm really, REALLY looking forward to Shibata vs Juice for some reason. Probably more than anything else.

They are saving Okada vs.Omega II for Dominion, it's pretty obvious.

When this tournament is concluded the results will make sense as to why it went down like this. That i'm sure of.

My guess is either Shibata wins it and challenges Okada. Or Ishii wins it and goes for Naito's IC title.

The One Winged Angel is still protected so you could say Ishii never defeated Omega at full strength.

And of course they are not going to exclude Omega from the Cup, that would be stupid and make it very obvious someone ele was going to win.

Not to mentrion beating Omega now will do wonders for Ishii to elevate him to the next level and still keep Omega strong in the process with how it went down by not being able to use his finisher.

Like i said, in the end it will all make sense booking wise. Jado and Gedo are not stupid.

Archived