Star Wars Discussion

Jmerc

Remember when they were about to give Kylo Ren some really cool and much needed character development and change up the usual Star Wars tropes?

...and then he ended up just being a generic bad guy anyway.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember when they were about to give Kylo Ren some really cool and much needed character development and change up the usual Star Wars tropes?

...and then he ended up just being a generic bad guy anyway.

:o Generic would be the last word I would use to describe Kylo.

Eh I like Kylo a lot and I think he's certainly the best addition with these sequel movies, but I'd say he's pretty generic. That's not to say he's bad, but he's the evil son of legendary heroes. They really missed an opportunity by not capitlising on the development he got in TLJ. The Kylo/Rey/Luke/Force stuff was by far the best part of that movie and it sort of just ended up being your typical by the numbers Star Wars.

I'm looking forward to Kylo vs. Rey, should be off the hook.

Shame Rose didn't die. Don't wanna see her and Finn's romance. Perhaps Finn won't like her back like that, and she'll turn evil and get killed.

Solo was okay. Lot of ups and downs. The opening was like American Graffiti meets the Dark Crystal which is a combination that's so *censored*ing weird that I can't do anything but enjoy it. Loved the practical creatures in that opening. I really liked the actual Kessell Run too. Visually it was very striking with the fog and the lightning and just thought the sequence was thrilling.

I think Ehrenreich was fantastic. I was really skeptical of the idea of them recasting Han, but I thought he was the best performance in this movie. It wasn't like a 1:1 Harrison Ford, it was certainly it's own thing, but the writing was there and whatever Ehrenreich was doing was working to the point where I wasn't even thinking about whether or not he was Han or not. Just very charming and charismatic. Absolutely nailed the dynamic with Chewbacca too. Great chemistry between the two, to the point where I wouldn't be opposed to seeing another movie with the two of them.

The overall pacing is very clunky. A lot of the major action setpieces drag a bit. The heist on Kessell seemed oddly placed to me. It's placement in the movie doesn't really lend it a lot of weight. I felt the actual Kessell Run was more climatic than the actual climax, which I guess I'll get into in a bit because I think it's this movie's biggest issue.

I found several of locations to not be all that interesting visually. I think the first location of Correllia was visually its own thing. Urban slums as opposed to the more desert, western kind of slums we're used to seeing in Star Wars. Dyden Vos's trophy room looked cool. I already mentioned how I liked the Kessel Run. Every other location just kind of seemed like generic, by-the-numbers Star Wars that we've already seen. Kessell has nothing distinctive going on really. Not even a striking alien species to inhabit it like Endor.

Going back to that climax. I felt this movie really kind of shit the bed in the last act. It's not so bad because the characters are likable enough that they can kind of carry it through to the finish, but it's not an easy or pretty finish. Like I never felt enthralled and instead just felt it all wash over me. From the Enfys Nest reveal to the insanely predictable double crossing, too much is thrown at you at once. This movie is very bottom heavy in that way. Dryden never really felt like the main villain as much as he was a character to move the plot into motion, therefore some big fight scene with him never really felt earned. I mean he *censored*s off from the movie for like over an hour.

Speaking of things not being earned, that Darth Maul reveal might be one of the most retarded scenes in any of these new Star Wars movies. Darth Maul literally has no reason to be in this movie. If you're watching this in the context of it being a standalone movie you have no idea who the *Censored* this random guy who looks like the devil even is despite the fact the cinematic language of the film is telling you he's important. There's nothing to even suggest he has anything to do with this story until it happens. Literally the only reason he's in this movie is so all the dumb fans can mark out because the Star Wars movie is referencing another Star Wars movie. It's cheap, it's dumb, it serves absolutely no purpose to the plot.

I think generally it's an okay movie and how good it is isn't really consequential either way. What I got out of it was a mostly fun, space movie with some likable leads. Just based on characters alone I enjoyed it more than Rogue One.

So they're doing a Boba Fett spin off. Yawn.

The only way I want that movie to happen is if they go the Mad Max Fury Road route and have Fett not be the focus of the movie, but rather the throughline. Have the story be focussed on someone else like it was for Furiosa and have Fett be the action guy with a few lines, and is the audiences connection into the movie.

Star Wars needs to die for a while.

They should just do a bounty movie where a bunch of bounty hunters have to team up. Maybe 5 or so bounty hunters, Boba Fett being an up and comer. Have an older bounty hunter like Dengar or just a new character or something be an old school kinda veteran who clashes with him. Over the course of the film they gain a mutual respect. Maybe keep Bossk as Bobas muscle from the Clone Wars. Theres a few Clone Wars episodes that do this premise and theyre some of the best episodes. Have them all have interpersonal rivalries they have to set aside for a big payday.

Oh god, poor Weiss and Benioff. Hampered with this franchise.

How so? They're going to get to produce and write their own trilogy with their own original characters and story. They're getting much less restrictions compared to others and able to tell full on extended universe tales.

Rian Johnson was hampered in a way and should have been saved for his own original films. Directors and writers behind Rogue One, Solo and upcoming Obi-Wan and Bobba Fett probably wish they got the Benioff/Weiss treatment.

I actually like Force Awakens and Last Jedi but I can't wait for Episode IX to be released already to end the main saga.

Why is Boba Fett popular anyway?

I'd like to see an Obi-Wan movie. Would they focus on his time on Tatooine, before Qui-Gon, or while training Anakin?

-Cool look. In the original trilogy, he was used like Phasma but a badass in comics,novels and games.

-An Obi-Wan film is happening. Stephen Daldry(Billy Elliot, The Hours and The Crown)is in talks to direct. Film is set after Episode III and before IV. The supposed basic synopsis is..

"Obi-Wan is on Tatooine being an elusive hermit but secretly watches over an infant Luke Skywalker, whom he delivered to his uncle, Owen. Tensions between the local farmers and a tribe of sand people headed by a ruthless war chief eventually brings Obi out of hiding"

He wasn't bad in the books but also kinda felt too reference-y, as in they gave him catchphrases to repeat throughout the EU series.

Sounds decent but also boring. Can't imagine Tatooine being that exciting.

Considering it's about post-episode III Kenobi and the possible director, I'm thinking it'll be a dramatic star wars film with some action sprinkled in. Not intended To be exciting as the rest of the franchise.

I just found out James Mangold(Logan)is directing Bobba-Fett. Very interesting

Oh god, poor Weiss and Benioff. Hampered with this franchise.

How so? They're going to get to produce and write their own trilogy with their own original characters and story. They're getting much less restrictions compared to others and able to tell full on extended universe tales.

Rian Johnson was hampered in a way and should have been saved for his own original films. Directors and writers behind Rogue One, Solo and upcoming Obi-Wan and Bobba Fett probably wish they got the Benioff/Weiss treatment.

I actually like Force Awakens and Last Jedi but I can't wait for Episode IX to be released already to end the main saga.

You don't honestly believe that do you? Rey and Finn's stories might end, but it's not going to be the end of the main saga.

You know when you use the words "to end", forever is kinda of implied. I mean, that is what those words mean. The main saga is not ending any time soon, break or not, which I doubt there even will be.

Yeah I cant see the Johnson one ever coming to fruition.

You're expecting Episode X a year or two after Episode IX? The focus after IX is already on Bobba Fett, Obi-Wan and TWO non main saga trilogies

The MCU started with 1 a year or so before they started doing more. They have more on their docket now then they ever have. Im almost positive theyll start doing more annually.

Archived