Star Wars Discussion

Jmerc

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's considered a flop because it's made the lowest of the franchise but as a film on it's own, it was the biggest memorial day weekend opening ever and a new best record for Ron Howard.

It's critically successful as well, 71% on rotten tomatoes.

There's some boycotting campaign on social media though by some star wars fans who want Kathryn Kennedy out and are still pissed at Last Jedi. Some fans feel that movie was not just bad but ruined the franchise for them and so they refuse to watch any new film as long as Kathryn Kennedy is in charge. #NotMyStarWars and #StarWarsBoycott seems to be a thing.

Oh right, I think they just said it was the lowest earning Star Wars movie, but nothing about whether it flopped or not.

Good news about the movie though.

People are ridiculous. They'll still probably go see the movies anyway.

Well apprently not lol. Could be different factors of why the film is underperforming for the franchise but many fans skipping it could definetly be one.

I haven't seen the film and am just waiting for the digital video release but only because I'm going on a trip next weekend and am saving money as much as possible. Others could be doing the same for the same reasons and so perhaps digital and dvd rental/sales will be good

I fan-casted Karl Urban as Boba Fett earlier today and now I'll be disappointed when it turns out to be someone else.

This is who Ive been saying should play him since I heard they wanted to make a Boba Fett movie. He has the New Zealand accent, just have him not take off the mask like in Dredd.

Guest Shades of Cool

Why is Boba Fett popular anyway?

I'd like to see an Obi-Wan movie. Would they focus on his time on Tatooine, before Qui-Gon, or while training Anakin?

I don't know, he's kinda overrated to me. Boba has a cool look, but still. He didn't even do anything, all he ever did was collect his bounty by taking Han in carbonite and then he got classically owned by Han and then he fell in and got eaten by the Sarlac. And some people say he survives that, and that's ludicrous. :facepalm: Don't get me wrong I like him still, he's just overrated.

I fan-casted Karl Urban as Boba Fett earlier today and now I'll be disappointed when it turns out to be someone else.

This is who Ive been saying should play him since I heard they wanted to make a Boba Fett movie. He has the New Zealand accent, just have him not take off the mask like in Dredd.

Im sure hell take the helmet off and even so he is a good choice.

I'd like to see an Obi-Wan movie. Would they focus on his time on Tatooine, before Qui-Gon, or while training Anakin?

I don't know, he's kinda overrated to me. Boba has a cool look, but still. He didn't even do anything, all he ever did was collect his bounty by taking Han in carbonite and then he got classically owned by Han and then he fell in and got eaten by the Sarlac. And some people say he survives that, and that's ludicrous. :facepalm: Don't get me wrong I like him still, he's just overrated.

when Disney took over they made that cannon, I don't know how (maybe addressed in movie) but really stupid

I don't see how Boba is overrated. He had a cool gimmick and people were left wanting more. He's not the only minor character in history to receive that kind of love. People love him BECAUSE he looked cool. He's not a overt favourite of mine, but I can understand why he's popular. Also I don't see why him surviving the sarlaac pit is ludicrous, he had a whole arsenal of weapons on him to blast his way out AND a jetpack to fly out the hole with. Also yeah, Disney made it official that he survived.

That leads me to believe his movie will take place after that, in the time period between Episode 6 and 7. With Jon Favreau's show taking place within this time frame it looks like Disney are trying to bridge the gap with content. I wouldn't be shocked if this Boba movie accompanies it. They can hire a slightly older actor to play a middle aged Boba also. Karl Urban please.

It's considered a flop because it's made the lowest of the franchise but as a film on it's own, it was the biggest memorial day weekend opening ever and a new best record for Ron Howard.

It's critically successful as well, 71% on rotten tomatoes.

There's some boycotting campaign on social media though by some star wars fans who want Kathryn Kennedy out and are still pissed at Last Jedi. Some fans feel that movie was not just bad but ruined the franchise for them and so they refuse to watch any new film as long as Kathryn Kennedy is in charge. #NotMyStarWars and #StarWarsBoycott seems to be a thing.

It's not the biggest Memorial Day weekend opening ever. Pirates of the Caribbean 3 is. In fact, it's nowhere close to the record. Quite a few movies have done better than Solo -- Hangover II, F&F 6, Indiana Jones 4, to name a few. It's considered to be a lackluster opening because it's a $300mil film that barely made $100mil on a holiday weekend.

Guest Shades of Cool

when Disney took over they made that cannon, I don't know how (maybe addressed in movie) but really stupid

Why? That's all I can say, it doesn't make any sense. :shift: It's probably because the person who made the decision likes Boba Fett.

I had read that it beat a POTC movie but not sure if part 3 and that it's the biggest memorial day weekend opening of all time or at least the biggest in many years.

But I guess I stand corrected

It beat it's Thursday preview record, but POTC3 did 114M while Solo did 84M for the memorial day weekend

Well Solo was rather fun. Thoroughly entertained.

I expected Han to start out more happy-go-lucky and by the end of the film become the Han that we know, but he started out very similar to his original self just more naive. I think that worked very well and in essence his character arc ended up being that he learns to shoot first. I'm so glad they didn't shove the Empire into this movie, we barely saw the stormtroopers, we didn't see the Death Star. This movie was about the seedy underworld of Star Wars and that aspect is sorely neglected. They've run out of ideas or the main series, being hampered by your typical Star Wars tropes, but these spin-offs feels creatively more freeing. We didn't need the rebellion or the Empire or lightsabers or the force. We got small hints of those things, but none of them were shoved into the story and I was very appreciative of that. I'm also pleasantly surprised with the Han Solo performance. The guy did a good job and I found myself not picturing Harrison Ford much at all after the first 30 minutes.

I loved that Chewie actually did stuff in this film. He was proactive and didn't sit on his ass talking to shitty penguins for the whole movie. I loved Paul Bettany, I enjoyed Woody Harrelson and Emilia Clarke. Donald Glover's performance was both on point and iffy at the same time. I didn't hate it, but it was very on-the-nose. The side character I didn't like was feminist droid and I would wager I'm not alone on that. I didn't understand why that personality was necessary and I felt like it was Ron Howard poking fun at that section of the audience who bitch about those things.

Unfortunately I was spoiled about Darth Maul a few days ago, but I'm a big Maul fan and had a big grin on my face when he was revealed. I get the feeling they are going to do a sequel to this because the way Daenerys' story ended with Maul very much felt like set-up. Maybe they will appear in Fett. Overall Solo was better than the shitfest that was the Last Jedi. I'm satisfied.

I think the only serious complaint I have about TLJ is the way its tonally all over the place. Too many of the comedic beats feel out of place and are pretty jarring.

I think I like the Force Awakens more, but I appreciate the Last Jedi more if that makes any sense. They kind of represent the polar opposites of things I enjoy about Star Wars. Force Awakens is like the Velvet Undergrounds self-titled album to me and the Last Jedi is like White Light/White Heat.

I just can't comprehend how people can ignore entire plots that are rendered useless with decisions that genuinely could and should have been made earlier. Like Admiral Holdo using her ship to explode Snoke's ship. Why did you not do that earlier on? Why did you have to commit suicide and not use a droid to pilot the ship? Or use auto pilot or something? It genuinely makes me scratch my head. I get that sometimes you need to suspend your disbelief to let 'movie things' happen, but these things really made no sense. If that was your plan all along...do it when you're not on your last legs and you might have actually got away with more people.

I'm not one to pick out plot holes because I know it annoys me when people do that, but it was so blatant. So obvious that I can't ignore it. There are a major section of people who will jump to "some people just hate changes" when someone criticises TLJ, but I rather appreciated changes TLJ made to the lore. I really liked the duality of Kylo and Rey. I enjoyed Luke's emo hermit character and Snoke for what he was. The new stuff they added to the force was all unique and interesting, but there are legit story gripes I have with that movie. Giant holes that should not be there.

Archived