Comic Discussion

Lunchbox

^ Its good, don't go into expecting classic Joker from the comics though. Its a much more gritty Nolan type Batman, one look at how The Joker is portrayed in this and you'll realise that. Its a good story with beautiful artwork, its no Killing Joke, but its good, 7/10.

Sweet, cheers dude. I wanted to get it last year, but I didn't have enough. If they have it this year, I'll probably get it.

I haven't read any recent comics, but I really want to get some old-school Batman storylines and one-shot comics. Ones like The Long Halloween, The Killing Joke, Joker, Batman: Nine Lives, and The Dark Knight Returns.

No problem.

All the comics you listed there are worth a read, some brilliant stories. Would also recommend Year One, Dark Victory, Arkham Asylum, Black Mirror and Hush.

Yeah I was considering a few of those titles. What's Dark Victory about?

I want to also get some Superman comics, but aside from The Death Of Superman and Reign of Doomsday, I don't know of any.

Also, can anyone tell me if Blackest Night is a good storyline?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Its good, don't go into expecting classic Joker from the comics though. Its a much more gritty Nolan type Batman, one look at how The Joker is portrayed in this and you'll realise that. Its a good story with beautiful artwork, its no Killing Joke, but its good, 7/10.

Sweet, cheers dude. I wanted to get it last year, but I didn't have enough. If they have it this year, I'll probably get it.

I haven't read any recent comics, but I really want to get some old-school Batman storylines and one-shot comics. Ones like The Long Halloween, The Killing Joke, Joker, Batman: Nine Lives, and The Dark Knight Returns.

No problem.

All the comics you listed there are worth a read, some brilliant stories. Would also recommend Year One, Dark Victory, Arkham Asylum, Black Mirror and Hush.

I want to also get some Superman comics, but aside from The Death Of Superman and Reign of Doomsday, I don't know of any.

Get Red Son for Superman im not a huge Superman fan by any means but that is one of my favorite storys bar none. Blackest Night is pretty good, there is a Absolute Blackest Night hardcover coming out at the end of June that collects a ton of stuff.

No problem.

I enjoyed Blackest Night as well. It is pretty cool to read. Especially if you read some of the backstory that went through GL since Rebirth to that point with the other lanterns.

Dark Victory is basically a sequel to Long Halloween and Year One a lot of the same characters appear (the living Falcone family members are a big part of this one like in Long Halloween.) along with Penguin and Freeze getting some face time in. We also get to see the debut of Robin. The plot revolves around a new killer named Hangman killing current and former cops, with a calling card of leaving a Hangman game. I will not say I liked it as much as Long Halloween, but it was a great way to expand on the the story that was set out before in the afformentioned Long Halloween and Year One. Has the same feel as the other two books the gangsters with tommyguns almost noirish type Batman.

Thanks for the advice, Lunchbox and SEK :cool:

Anyway, I went and bought The Killing Joke at the Armageddon Expo on Saturday. Honestly, I thought it would have been longer. I was going to buy Joker, but the girl at the stall recommended The Killing Joke, so I bought it. While I was at the same stall, I bought Batman: Year One on DVD.

I heard Superman: Earth One wasn't that great and that was coming from a dude who loved Superman. Can I mention (Probably remention) how much i love House of M? The part where Peter Parker has his fake world shattered is so heart wrenching. Same with veteran Steve Rodgers. Im starting to realized that Brian Michael Bendis can legitimately do no wrong, everything hes done that i have read is really great. Age of Ultron started this week and it was fantastic. Its a messed up New York and Hawkeye is running around messing shit up its so good.

Other than that i ordered a bunch of graphic novels on the cheap (Came out to $56 with shipping!)

Gates of Gotham by Scott Snyder and Kyle Higgins

5 Ronin by Peter Mulligan

Astonishing X-Men Volume 1 by Joss Whedon

Criminal Vol 3 & 4 by Ed Brubaker

The New Avengers vol 1 & 2 by Brian Micheal Bendis

Im devestated by the loss. Dude was my favorite Robin by far and his death was so well written. I got choked up when he was talking to Grayson about how they were the best. Even him going "...call him off at once...mother..." Just right in the heartstrings.

I would say emotionally yes, as no one truly connected with Jason Todd, I may be wrong. As physically I'd say Jasons beating was more horrific, its just down to personal opinion.

He may have a taste, but can't judge apparently. Injustice has been getting great reviews from trustworthy critics.

Name some. Regardless the whole story comes across as ridiculous, and explaining it in words to another individual always results in laughter, I'd know because I've already done it twice.

Joker being capable of performing heart surgery to rig a *censored*ing bomb to blow up Metropolis is the funniest ish I've read in a long ass time. Simply because of how over the top and stupid it is.

And did you read the review or just disregard it because it was against something that I'm under the assumption you like? It wasn't biased hatred, it just showed how goofy the comic came across as.

Ok, I can't go get the names right now because Im in a rush at work, but Ill get them. As for over the top, its super hero comics. Be real, they're supposed to be over the top. And about Joker performing heart surgery, the fact wr don't truly know everything about Joker outside of what's been shown, how do we know he isn't capable of doing this stuff? He is incredible smart and all he has to do is just put the device that recognizes a heartbeat right next to her heart. Hell, that could just require Joker taping the wire to her pounding her.

And yes, I did read the whole review because I didn't want to disregard it out of the fact he's negatively reviewing something I like.

Forbes. has given this comic good reviews.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived