Prince Passes Away

FrostOutside

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know whats insane about Prince? The amount of music that he has recorded that has never seen the light of day.

I think that goes for every artist, tbh. In fact, on the subject of Bowie, I'm pretty sure he recorded full albums that are going to be released systematically now that he's dead. Happens all the time, tbh...they call it music from the "vault" or from the "estate". Most of it is usually shit that the artist didn't want people to hear, though...which is unfortunate.

Hence why posthumous records often rub people/hardcore fans the wrong way, or are disliked. Even if the artist's families give consent to the music being released, the idea of releasing it is still kind of off, idk.

Completely unrelated to Prince...but I didn't want to make another topic. Patton Oswald's wife died. Apparently she was a writer or something as well...not just known for being his wife. Anyway...just thought I'd post it here even though it's the Price topic, because I thought it was sad. I feel bad for Patton.

Completely unrelated to Prince...but I didn't want to make another topic. Patton Oswald's wife died. Apparently she was a writer or something as well...not just known for being his wife. Anyway...just thought I'd post it here even though it's the Price topic, because I thought it was sad. I feel bad for Patton.

Such a terrible deal. I've never heard anybody say a bad thing about Patton. Poor guy. Feel awful for their 7 year old daughter too.

^ All has to do with the modern state of music though. We're not in the physical album era anymore...we're in the era of digital bullshit. Miley Cyrus is your modern day Madonna. Her and Lady Gaga will probably both be regarded in that sense. Or maybe they won't...but not because of who they are or what they did...just because people are quicker to forget and move on these days As a society, we don't hold onto things like we used to. It's all flavor of the month. But, anyway...I don't want to derail the topic from being about the passing of Price. Just saying...the "bigger" artists never seem to affect me the way that so many millions of people flock to them.

It has to do with the lack of physical CD's and easier access to music, however talent also plays a large part, there's no way one can honestly compare a Prince or Michael Jackson to an artist like today like Bieber, or even Madonna to Miley Cyrus, and I'm not even a fan of Madonna. It's understandable I guess, that "you don't really care about the bigger artists" or whatever it was you said, earlier in the thread about the man passing, where respects to the work ethic could've atleast sufficed. But to deny that a talent like a Michael Jackson or a Prince weren't anything less than phenomenal, they weren't just pop stars but they transcended that just with their music and image, it takes a knowledge almost to know how to master those things combined. They transcended pop culture and became a part of the world culture for decades. There aren't many acts today that will be able to do that, Bieber among them. Just like there weren't as many acts to do it in the time of the two men mentioned, even when every other artist also had the benefit of physical record releases. Clearly Miley attempts to be the modern Madonna, but she's not even a worthy imitation, she just doesn't have that different type of talent that turns her into a talent to be remembered when she's gone, or even a few years down the line, no less. I think Madonna has done enough to have that type of career, Miley never will. And talent has just as much to do with it.

^ See...that's where you're just wrong, tbh.

Miley is actually a great talent. Her voice is absolutely ridiculous when she's performing serious music. You clearly just can't view her objectively, because you don't like her. I don't like her either...but facts are facts. Kinda reminds me of back when people refused to see John Mayer for anything other than his shitty bubblegum music...even though John Mayer is an absurdly good blues guitarist. A modern legend, tbh. It all has to do with the modern state of music. If you want to make money, you do the shitty pop music. In doing that, you put yourself in a hole where people only recognize you for a specific type of music that many people don't care for. It becomes really hard to say what a modern "legend" is in the music industry these days. Everything is overexposed and under-appreciated. Someone like Miley Cyrus though...as much as I don't care for her as a whole, she does transcend genres. She does her shitty pop music thing AND she can switch on the drop of a dime to do more traditional music. She is a phenomenal talent, tbh. She just isn't treated as one...and it's definitely because of the era we live in...not any fault of her own.

But, whatever...RIP to Prince. He touched a lot of people.

The mainstream didn't even give a shit about Miley's last album. She's already blown her load. She based this whole reemergence on shock, but she has nowhere left to go at this point. Not that I think she cares, I'm just saying a few more albums like her last release and she'll be right back where she was after Hannah Montana ended.

Okay...but album sales don't support her lacking talent...

That just supports what I said...that people come and go when it comes to music these days. Everything is a fad. Poor sales don't really say one bit about whether she has talent or not. I don't believe it's possible for there to be an icon like Michael Jackson or Prince in a modern world. The modern world doesn't allow it. That's what I'm saying. That's what I've been saying all along. I never said that Miley or Lady Gaga WERE equal to someone like Prince. I said that given modern standards, they are the closest thing.

Okay...but album sales don't support her lacking talent...

That just supports what I said...that people come and go when it comes to music these days. Everything is a fad. Poor sales don't really say one bit about whether she has talent or not. I don't believe it's possible for there to be an icon like Michael Jackson or Prince in a modern world. The modern world doesn't allow it. That's what I'm saying. That's what I've been saying all along. I never said that Miley or Lady Gaga WERE equal to someone like Prince. I said that given modern standards, they are the closest thing.

I think the closest ones would come from hip hop is how I personally feel. Nearly all the good rock and pop albums being made today are being done by people the mainstream doesn't give a shit about. Hip Hop's the only genre that were both those world's meet on a fairly regular basis.

While Prince was one of the biggest names in music history, I just can't get into it like other big names. I've been listening to a lot of his songs over the last few days and it all just sounds the same to me. I suppose I just like a heavier sound though I will say for a dance party his music would be perfect.

^ See...that's where you're just wrong, tbh.

Miley is actually a great talent. Her voice is absolutely ridiculous when she's performing serious music. You clearly just can't view her objectively, because you don't like her. I don't like her either...but facts are facts. Kinda reminds me of back when people refused to see John Mayer for anything other than his shitty bubblegum music...even though John Mayer is an absurdly good blues guitarist. A modern legend, tbh. It all has to do with the modern state of music. If you want to make money, you do the shitty pop music. In doing that, you put yourself in a hole where people only recognize you for a specific type of music that many people don't care for. It becomes really hard to say what a modern "legend" is in the music industry these days. Everything is overexposed and under-appreciated. Someone like Miley Cyrus though...as much as I don't care for her as a whole, she does transcend genres. She does her shitty pop music thing AND she can switch on the drop of a dime to do more traditional music. She is a phenomenal talent, tbh. She just isn't treated as one...and it's definitely because of the era we live in...not any fault of her own.

But, whatever...RIP to Prince. He touched a lot of people.

Actually I'm viewing her quite objectively, we're talking about legacies here. I never said Miley Cyrus WASNT talented, but she ISNT as talented as a Madonna, as a Whitney Houston, even as talented as an Amy Winehouse. And for all of her talent, Amy doesn't have much of a legacy anymore. Miley will be in that same boat, she doesn't have the savant-like, extraordinary, god-like talent that it would take for her to be remembered as an exceptional artist who broke barriers, 10 years after her death. Because she isn't that. Since she broke out of the whole Hannah Montana shit, she's been meme material, and the definition of trying too hard. That's the fact of her situation.

Article/video about the making of his last guitar.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/video/2016/apr/26/the-man-who-made-princes-last-guitar-video

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually I'm viewing her quite objectively, we're talking about legacies here. I never said Miley Cyrus WASNT talented, but she ISNT as talented as a Madonna, as a Whitney Houston, even as talented as an Amy Winehouse. And for all of her talent, Amy doesn't have much of a legacy anymore. Miley will be in that same boat, she doesn't have the savant-like, extraordinary, god-like talent that it would take for her to be remembered as an exceptional artist who broke barriers, 10 years after her death. Because she isn't that. Since she broke out of the whole Hannah Montana shit, she's been meme material, and the definition of trying too hard. That's the fact of her situation.

Any opinion that opens with the bold...lol...nah.

People thought Madonna was a try-hard too. Yeah...she appealed to a ton of people (younger people)...and the older people thought she was too racy and basically making a fool of herself. She wasn't "meme material" simply because the internet didn't exist back then. You debut Madonna in a modern world...it's the same story, give or take. Woman published a whole book full of her naked ass engaging in S&M shit. She was the definition of try-hard. Today you've got Miley with new naked photos online every single week...back then you had Madonna putting out books. Now you have Miley wearing ridiculous shit on stage and touching herself. Back then you had Madonna wearing ridiculous shit on stage and touching herself. There's nothing special about Madonna. It's just a formula. She was a mediocre pop-star at best. And Miley is the same. There's nothing that separates Madonna and Miley in terms of talent, tbh. I just don't see it. It's all in the timing. Different time, different era, different factors.

Prince on the other hand...yeah, he was a tremendously skilled musician. He could play...two dozen instruments or something like that? That's insane. We can probably never dream of having another person quite like him in that sense. I admit that. But his persona? He will be compared to modern artists. And they won't gain the same fame as him...but it won't be because they lack anything...it will just be because stars aren't made anymore. That's mostly what I'm getting at. The process for making one star bigger than all the others...it doesn't exist anymore. Everything being connected (specifically though the internet), means that all of the stars get fairly equal exposure. And you might have things like the itunes top sellers...but that doesn't really count for much of anything. Fact is...back in the day...you spent your money on one album. And if everyone spent their money on one album and that album was Prince...that's how one star became "bigger" than all the others. That scenario doesn't exist anymore.

People like Miley Cyrus won't be remembered because they aren't doing anything worth remembering. Prince was a incredible performer and just had a aura that couldn't be matched. Bowie pushed the envelope and tried different sounds with his music very successfully. Cyrus is just a popstar. Nothing more and nothing less. She could be more if she tried. Even when shes trying to be "unique" shes just following in the same footsteps as someone like Britney Spears, or Christina Aguilar. Wholesome popstar who eventually rebels against what she is and goes through a weird phase and will come out the other end a normal star making music with no gimmicks again.

Archived