Updated 9/5/2013: AJ Styles Supposedly Agrees To Short-Term Contract Extension, Still Negotiating New Deal

After The Rain

Credit: PWInsider

One of the main topics of conversation behind the scenes in TNA over the past few weeks has been AJ Styles’ contract expiring – and whether the “TNA Original” will be able to come to terms with the organization.

The latest on this story is that Styles and TNA have agreed to a short-term contract extension.

Styles’ contract was set to expire within a matter of weeks – and he was reportedly offered a deal that was for significantly less money than he’s made in the past.

It’s unknown how long Styles is now locked in for, but TNA will continue negotiating with him in hopes of keeping him on board for the long term.

As reported previously, AJ Styles and TNA have to come to terms on a new short-term agreement. According to one report, the deal will take Styles and TNA a little past Bound For Glory.

Whether or not he re-signs a longer deal to stay in the company will likely come down to how close each side can came to the financial part of the deal.

- As recently reported, TNA and AJ Styles came to an agreement for a short-term contract extension that will keep him with the company through late 2013. AJ’s 5-year contract with TNA, which was due to expire this month, included a clause that stated he would get a raise each year. When it was time to negotiate a new longterm deal, TNA was not willing to offer Styles an annual raise moving forward.

The financial terms of Styles’ short-term extension are unknown, but Styles could very well become a free agent in early 2014.

is it just me or does this sound a bit like CM punk 2011? especially with his promo last night that reminded me of punk's pipebomb

Except this has a different situation. This goes further than just AJ Styles' paycheck. AJ Styles has been TNA's posterboy essentially since they started up. If he leaves, this puts TNA in an awkward situation.

is it just me or does this sound a bit like CM punk 2011? especially with his promo last night that reminded me of punk's pipebomb

Except this has a different situation. This goes further than just AJ Styles' paycheck. AJ Styles has been TNA's posterboy essentially since they started up. If he leaves, this puts TNA in an awkward situation.

true dat it's just this whole situation where a great wrestler feels underappreciated and cuts a great promo while breaking kayfabe. As weird as it sounds I'd love AJ to not resign and just jump ship to WWE for the dream matches he could have and to finally show tna what bad bussiness decisions they did. Losing your posterboy because you keep a has been like hogan should show them

Same. For selfish reasons, I wish AJ Styles doesn't re-sign and jumps ship to WWE.

it's really the fact that he did everything he could do in tna he's been top heel, top face, is the first grand slam champion, record holding 6 time x-division champion and feuded with every big name there is in TNA right now. Jumping ship to WWE would allow him to finally get the recognition he deserves. And as for the people saying they will just bury him the huge succes of daniel bryan and cm punk lets me think otherwise. Sure they may dont like him because he's tna-made but I'm sure atleast triple H recognizes the talent on hand

The WWE honestly have a 'no-taking' policy with TNA yet Christian was the one to jump ship straight back to them from there and they had also used Ric Flair and taken back Rob Van Dam from TNA too? Contradictory right there. They are just not interested in Styles; I don't think they know where he'd exactly fit in their plans.

They should recruit him and have him fight on NXT against the likes of Corey Graves as he rises through the ranks to become the NXT Champion. Maybe even have McMahon put him through several 'trial tests' or challenges to see whether he is ready enough to wrestle against the big dogs after making the transition from Impact Wrestling. Put him onto the main roster after some time, have him combating for the Intercontinental Championship.

I don't think AJ will sign for WWE. He's probably one of TNAs top earners at this point. No way WWE will pay him the same, especially if they're gonna put him into NXT.

I also don't think AJ will go to NXT. He's much better than that so it would be a slap in the face.

As for TNA themselves. They are a time bomb. Its not a case of if its just a case of when they'll go out of business. Dixie's dad doesn't have an infinite amount of money so even if he keeps finding it he will go broke eventually.

Archived