Unpopular Wrestling Opinions XIII

Lunchbox

On 8/28/2023 at 10:33 PM, A N T I - said:

Big reason WWE is so boring at times in my view, and AEW to a degree, is because people never go away. It feels like there used to be a roster turnaround every 6 years or so, cut to now and you’ve got guys like The Miz being near 20 year WWE veterans. They rarely ever leave my television screen. It isn’t like the territory days where a wrestler could bounce around and avoid getting stale. Imo WWE is full of people who’ve been stale for over 10 years.. and then they go to AEW and bring their staleness with them. Maybe it’s creative’s fault for not being able to keep characters fresh. 

I agree but I think that also has to do with the level of popularity that wrestling was on back in the 90s for example compared to now. In that small stretch of 1996-1999. We saw so much talent in these well known companies become big names all at once, which then made their careers that much more exciting when WCW and ECW went away and many of them came over to WWF to be a part of the Alliance angle, and/or Ruthless Aggression later on. 

Now days you have it's slightly different because AEW is still trying to figure their shit out. Having some cool stuff going. but again the popularity isnt as big so...i dont know. Its just different now. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/28/2023 at 10:33 PM, A N T I - said:

Big reason WWE is so boring at times in my view, and AEW to a degree, is because people never go away. It feels like there used to be a roster turnaround every 6 years or so, cut to now and you’ve got guys like The Miz being near 20 year WWE veterans. They rarely ever leave my television screen. It isn’t like the territory days where a wrestler could bounce around and avoid getting stale. Imo WWE is full of people who’ve been stale for over 10 years.. and then they go to AEW and bring their staleness with them. Maybe it’s creative’s fault for not being able to keep characters fresh. 

Really interesting time to have an opinion like this...considering there are number of people who either already switched companies, or are likely to do so soon. Jade and Pillman Jr. to WWE...Starks and Wardlow possible as well. Edge probably going to AEW, etc. 

I know your post is about a month old. Just saying...it still happens.

Edited by Generations

• 3 weeks later...

Okay...here we go...

I think the Kane character should have outlived the career of Glenn Jacobs.

If Glenn wanted an unmasked run, then I think he should have started over as something completely new, and the Kane character should have been given to someone else. I also still think Kane should be around today...portrayed by whoever. - Of course, Glenn is one of the strongest and most agile guys WWE has ever had...and other people wouldn't have been able to do everything the same way he did. But, that character straight up died as it evolved over the years.

If the alternative to no Kane could have been a slower, weaker, or slightly less agile Kane...I would have still preferred that. - Furthermore, they had no issues with using fake versions of people like Razor or Diesel (which were incredibly blatant and sad). But...the Kane character would have lent itself quite well to being faked. (The Drew Hankinson Kane was fine, IMO)...and that storyline could have been pretty cool if it wasn't dropped.

I think WWE could have easily done with Kane what is common practice in Mexico with gimmicks like La Parka, or Japan with Tiger Mask. I don't think Glenn Jacobs deserved to completely destroy that gimmick, or take that character with him to retirement.

Edited by Generations

• 1 month later...

I know you absolutely love that 1029293th tournament that they’re having right now but you’re telling me you like the WCW-esque Devil angle with MJF? The silly soap opera drama of the Edge/Christian feud? Tony Storm doing SNL sketches? House of Black trying to recruit FTR? Ethan Page for the second time this year being randomly booked in a big match with a top star simply because they’re in his home country? Ruby and Angelo’s adolescent romance? 

On 12/18/2023 at 9:14 AM, PaperThinWalls said:

I know you absolutely love that 1029293th tournament that they’re having right now but you’re telling me you like the WCW-esque Devil angle with MJF? The silly soap opera drama of the Edge/Christian feud? Tony Storm doing SNL sketches? House of Black trying to recruit FTR? Ethan Page for the second time this year being randomly booked in a big match with a top star simply because they’re in his home country? Ruby and Angelo’s adolescent romance? 

I definitely didn't say anything close to what you just rambled about...I said it's been better than WWE. That's it. Is it perfect? Hardly. But, has it been better than WWE in recent weeks? 100% absolutely. Everything else you ranted about isn't really here or there. I could do the same thing with the absurd angles on WWE, but I won't bother.

I listed a bunch of shit that’s happened the last few weeks. I knew your opinion on the tournament, so I didn’t ask that. I knew your opinion on Jericho’s crap, so I didn’t ask that. You brought up that AEW programming is A LOT better than WWE’s, so I was wondering what you could be referring to beyond the tournament. Of course, instead of clarifying what you like more, you chose to take a shot at me. What new?

Short answer - Yes, everything you mentioned from AEW is better than what WWE has been doing. - It's better than 'Nasty Tozawa'. It's better than Valhalla and Ivar pretending to be Vikings. It's better than Miz continually having IC title matches for no reason. It's better than the bloodline storyline that is now over 3.5 years old.

The tournament has been great, yes. Everything else has been entertaining as well. Only think that is really a huge miss right now is the Devil angle. There's a lot of other stuff to be quite happy about in AEW. 

Personally, there’s nothing AEW has offered that is as good as:

-Punk’s return. His promos. His interactions with talent. His feud with Rollins building.  

-Orton’s return and his feud with Roman/Bloodline heating up. His tag match with LA Knight.

-Drew’s heel turn.

-Gunther’s feud and matches with Miz. His increasing displeasure with Imperium.

-LA Knight’s feud with Roman/Bloodline and his interactions with Orton.    

-Pearce and Aldis’ growing rivalry.  

-Cody’s promos against Nakamura.  

-Some of Escobar’s heel promos.  

-Some of Becky’s promos against Nia.

As for AEW, some of MJF/Joe has been ok, maybe a couple of Bryan’s matches, and a few of Eddie’s promos — the rest is not worth seeking out.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll never understand the appeal of Kiana James. I’m sure she’s a nice lady and I hope she succeeds within the WWE system because there’s so much money to be made, but I dunno…looks-wise, work-wise, gimmick-wise…just doesn’t do it for me.

Edited by A N T I -