Nintendo NX

Generations

According to a new report today from The Wall Street Journal, Nintendo has started to send out software development kits for its upcoming gaming platform, NX. These kits are being sent to unspecified third-party developers so they can modify their existing games or create new ones to run on the upcoming platform.

[...]

Exactly what form the NX will take remains unclear. WSJ's sources say the NX, which is still a working title, will come with a console and "at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use." The NX will also reportedly use "industry-leading chips" in the devices that will presumably allow for better graphics and deeper functionality.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/nintendo-nx-console-mobile-hybrid-124100418.html

So...it sounds like a Wii U, except the controller can be taken away from the system entirely and played far, far away...anywhere. Thoughts?

According to a new report today from The Wall Street Journal, Nintendo has started to send out software development kits for its upcoming gaming platform, NX. These kits are being sent to unspecified third-party developers so they can modify their existing games or create new ones to run on the upcoming platform.

[...]

Exactly what form the NX will take remains unclear. WSJ's sources say the NX, which is still a working title, will come with a console and "at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use." The NX will also reportedly use "industry-leading chips" in the devices that will presumably allow for better graphics and deeper functionality.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/nintendo-nx-console-mobile-hybrid-124100418.html

So...it sounds like a Wii U, except the controller can be taken away from the system entirely and played far, far away...anywhere. Thoughts?

So Wii U mixed with a DS essentially? I'm down. As long as the games function the same on the handheld basically then its a hell of an idea.

So Wii U mixed with a DS essentially? I'm down. As long as the games function the same on the handheld basically then its a hell of an idea.

I think they would...because they do on the Wii U...but you can't take the controller away from the room that you're playing in or you lose the signal. I think the plan is to keep that functionality, but have the controller actually take it with you...out into the world.

Well, Nintendo has always had third party support...they just don't rely on it. I'm sure this new system will be the same way. The fact that it will be a more powerful system is really no surprise, and I doubt it will be as powerful as PS5 and the next Xbox anyway. Nintendo always does half-steps. They'll roll this thing out before Sony and MS put out their new systems, and it will be more powerful than the PS4 and the One, just like the Wii U was more powerful than the PS3 and 360 (for a very brief period of time).

I like my Wii U alot. It may be late in the game but you should get one if you find one at a good price.

To be fair, it's likely the best time to get one. Most of the big games are already out and the consoles can be picked up for fairly cheap. Got Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Donkey Kong, Pikmin 3, Super Smash Bros, Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2, Yoshi Woolly World etc to get right off the bat. Well worth getting the console for those games alone. Plus backwards compatibility with the Wii where there's dozens of amazing games to get for literally pennies.

Hmm. I like this. I love my Wii U and I love my 3DS.

I can only imagine the first-party games to come from it.

I don't really get what "mistakes" people think they made with the Wii U. I love the damn thing. It's volumes better than the original Wii, which sold like hotcakes for some *censored*ing reason (even though it was garbage). The Wii U is an absolute blast to play.

The name

Marketing

Not having any games until too late

The game pad, though I personally love it. It works great as a regular controller and off screen play is probably one of the best things they could've ever came up with.

^ But none of that affects how fun the system is. The post I was questioning suggested there were mistakes that made the system no fun to play or something. The system is great. I don't think a lot of people know how great the system is...and that is because of the things that you just listed...but none of that makes the system less fun.

Archived