The PROGRESS Discussion Thread

Oresama

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So WWE announced a UK Title tournament today. A Few PROGRESS names here.

Joseph Conners

Roy Johnson

Jordan Devlin

Tyson T-Bone

Tucker

HC Dyer

Tyler Bate

Wolfgang

Pete Dunne

Trent Seven

Chris Tyler

Dan Moloney

Jack Starz

James Drake

Sam Gradwell

Ringo Ryan

Saxon Huxley

Tiger Ali

I feel like it's relevant enough to post in this topic. Anyone see anyone other than Pete Dunne winning this? Admittedly I'm not familiar with a lot of these guys, but I feel like Dunne is "The Guy" in the UK right now, when you exclude ZSJ, Scurll and Ospreay.

Kind of surprised how the tournament is lacking big names though. Would have thought for sure they'd go after Joe Coffey. BT Gunn would have been cool too, although I feel like he flies under the radar a lot.

I see it being Pete too but I'd take any of British Strong Style to be honest. Trent's had a great year, I've known of him for years but this year between CHIKARA, ICW and PROGRESS I've really become a fan. Tyler's great in his own right too.

The second day of the tournament falls on the same day as Chapter 42 which would have affected them getting some bigger PROGRESS names I imagine.

I see it being Pete too but I'd take any of British Strong Style to be honest. Trent's had a great year, I've known of him for years but this year between CHIKARA, ICW and PROGRESS I've really become a fan. Tyler's great in his own right too.

The second day of the tournament falls on the same day as Chapter 42 which would have affected them getting some bigger PROGRESS names I imagine.

I'm inclined to agree. I see it being Dunne, but either way I definitely feel like the finals will be some combination of Pete Dunne, Trent Seven and Tyler Bate. Aside from Wolfgang, they're the only names who really stand out as top guys to me.

Thinking about it, the lack of names could be because it's only a small tournament to kick off a show, as opposed to the CWC, which was probably meant to be a one time thing and then the popularity spawned 205 Live.

Marty Scurll recently spoke with Justin Barrasso for Sports Illustrated Extra Mustards Week In Wrestling. You can read a few highlights below:

Marty Scurll explains who The Villain is:

Wrestling has been built, for many, many years, as the good guy versus the bad. Thats how wrestling has worked forever. But I am The Villain, and I am not defined by whether you like me or dont like me. Im a man obsessed with cheating, a man who doesnt mind cutting corners, Im a man who will do anything it takes to win the match. I am sickpeople chant Sick! at me. I am malicious, I am vindictivethats just the way I am. I spent my whole life getting knocked back, getting treated like crap, and now everyone wonders why Im an ahole. What you see is what you get. Do I have a chip on my shoulder? Absolutely. Im here to prove to everyone that Im the best wrestler in the world and that I can revolutionize this business. So when you look at The Villain, thats who I am and what you see is what you get.

Scurll talks about being influenced by Daniel Bryan early on in his career:

The Villain doesnt really have any heroes, as such, but as someone I looked up to more than anyone else and was influenced by, it was the American Dragon Bryan Danielson. Daniel Bryan is the reason I wanted to come to Ring of Honor. I watched all those years and saw his body of work in Ring of Honor, and it appealed to me so much. I was just in awe of his work. For me, hes the best wrestler of all time. I wanted to follow in his first footsteps in order for me to become the best wrestler in the world and the best wrestler of all time. People might laugh at that, but I believe I can do it, and thats why Ive come to Ring of Honor. Id love to follow in Bryan Danielsons footsteps in Ring of Honor and go even further, then get knighted by the queen, which I shall do.

Scurll explains why he uses the crossface chicken wing:

Ironically, Bob Backlund did sign me the rights to the chicken wing. My actual influence for the chicken wing came from the British wrestlers from the 70s and 80s, guys like Marty Jones and Johnny Kidd, even Norman Smiley in WCW. Thats where I learned the hold, the chicken wing, but just like everything else I do, I made it mean ten times more than it did. The chicken wing hadnt been done in twenty years, but now it means so much more. Its the most effective move in British wrestling, and its not some flip its a submission hold.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/786841-marty-scurll-explains-who-the-villain-is-talks-looking-up-to-daniel-bryan-who-influenced-him-to-use-the-crossface-chicken-wing

PROGRESS are advertising a taping for something called Freedom's Road in March at a new venue in London. They don't specify what it actually is though.

315d95j.png

Also:

Best wishes to Pollyanna, who today announced that she's taking some time away from wrestling. Thank you for all that you did for us.

Probably would be best to put that in spoilers, as the video thumbnail itself spoils what happens.

Super cool seeing Marty and Zack team occasionally even though they've evolved so much since they teamed on a regular basis. They're like the UK equivalent to Steen and Generico.

Marty himself has gone through an amazing evolution. I remember seeing him on the wXw/CZW/BJW joint shows in 2010/2010 and he was doing an awful Jersey Shore type gimmick.

Apparently there's going to be six first round matches of the Natural Progression Series. Jinny, Nixon Newell and Toni Storm have already advanced, Livvii Grace vs. Alex Windsor happens on the 15th at Chapter 42. I imagine Dahlia Black and Laura Di Matteo will also be involved.

If the rumors of WWE bound are true, Nixon Newell will not be the winner of the Natural Progression Series.

I read that it'll be March or April before she's officially signed. She'll probably be a part of the Womens tournament.

Anyone else really surprised by Mark Andrews being included in the UK tournament? I didn't even know he'd left TNA. The deal must have come together quick.

Archived