The PROGRESS Discussion Thread

Oresama

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

– Zack Sabre Jr. spoke with Sports Illustrated for a new interview. Check out the highlights:

On meeting Triple H:

“He’s huge. I felt like a child in comparison, but he was very approachable, very friendly, and it’s so inspiring how much he loves the business. For someone who has had such a long and decorated career, and he’s coming down to an indie Evolve show in Orlando the night before the Royal Rumble–where he obviously had such an important night ahead of him–and he was there talking to everyone. When someone like that, who is at the top of the business with so many responsibilities, comes down with that type of attitude, it sets such a great example. I introduced myself and spoke briefly to him. I’m good friends with [WWE talent scout/NXT trainer] Robbie Brookside, so I had a good catch-up chat with him, and I also met [William] Regal for the first time.”

On US wrestling and WWE:

“People pay attention to wrestling in the U.S. so much. It’s the largest territory for wrestling, and it dictates a lot for pro wrestling. The WWE is fantastic, but you have to go in with the right mindset. If I went there, then I would be aware that I would be working for a company that is predominantly television-minded. You can’t be naive when you enter there and expect to be doing what you’re doing on a live show in front of a few hundred people who are all real passionate wrestling fans. But their product is great, and it’s an incredible weekly television show. If you want to succeed, you can if you have the right mindset. I also feel there is so much more to achieve and learn, on a personal level as well, for me in Japan. With my style, I really think I can go anyway.”

On not needing to appear on a Wrestlemania card to achieve success:

“I don’t have to be stubborn and say, ‘I’ll never go to WWE,’ but I certainly don’t have to main event WrestleMania to feel like I’ve been successful. I have to wrestle to the level that I want to wrestle, and that’s continuously on an upward slope. I enjoyed watching WWF as a kid, but once I begun training with wrestling, I just wanted to take small steps. At first I wanted to get on the trainee shows, and then I wanted to get into the main shows and wrestle all over in England. Then there was a really good buzz in Germany, and I really wanted to wrestle in Germany, so I had to get better to get invited to Germany. Then I was wrestling all over Europe, and I wanted to some indie stuff in the States, so I did that. But in the back of my mind it was always Japan.”

On the influences in his career:

“Chris Jericho, Dean Malenko and Bret Hart were also influences–there was a big mix, but Jushin Liger especially. When you look at his longevity, he’s been wrestling for three decades at such a high level, and that’s really important. There are a lot of wrestlers who can wrestle for a long period of time, but not at that level. Also, a lot of my inspirations from England are Johnny Kidd, Steve Grey and Johnny Saint. I wrestled Johnny Kidd a few weeks before this past Christmas, and he’s been wrestling for three decades. Their personality, their passion and their attitudes for wrestling is so positive. No one is forcing us to be pro wrestlers. It can be tiring, but we’re always lucky to be involved with this.”

On his pick for the best wrestling talent today:

“I’m one-hundred percent biased, but it’s Finn Balor. I met him when I was fourteen, and he’s just been a continuous inspiration for me both in and out of the ring. He’s like a big brother to me, and such a huge influence on how to conduct yourself. If you talk about training, the guy never has a day off and puts so much effort into every small detail. He hasn’t changed in the fourteen years I’ve known him. He’s the same humble person who is always having fun, and he always has such a positive attitude. He’s another person who just loves wrestling so much. I met him in our gym in Sittingbourne, which is like the middle of nowhere in southern England, and there we were [Royal Rumble weekend], sitting in Orlando, Fla., drinking a cup of coffee saying, ‘This is ridiculous. What are we doing with our lives?’ That kind of attitude is really important.”

http://411mania.com/wrestling/zack-sabre-jr-doesnt-need-a-wrestlemania-moment-for-success/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ughhhhh.

I can see Morgan Webster, Mark Haskins, Marty Scurll, and/or Tommy End being involved in this though. Thankfully Ospreay is with NJPW and Havoc is affiliated with TNA/currently injured.

How does that tournament work anyways? Are the people involved being signed or are they just gonna borrow the best guys from around the world and host a tournament and not sign any/very few of them? Honestly I don't want to see WWE sign any more guys until they figure out what to do with the ones they have now (And have a competent writing team).

It was announced today at PROGRESS that Marty Scurll will defend the PROGRESS Title against Will Ospreay at the sold out Wrestlecon Supershow on Saturday evening 4/2.

Also set for that show:

*TNA champion Matt Hardy vs. Lance Storm.

*Aerostar & Fenix & Andrew Everett vs. Drago & Jack Evans & Fireball.

*Jeff Hardy vs. Abyss vs. Trevor Lee vs. TBA (formerly Mike Bailey) vs. AR Fox in a Monster's Ball match

*Team Joey Ryan vs. Team Jeff Jarrett in a Ten Man Tag.

*Rey Mysterio in action.

As noted, the show and the Saturday evening Wrestlecon session are completely sold out. It should be noted that there are some tickets via sold on the secondary market on Stubhub.

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=100870

Two qualifying matches for WWEs inaugural Global Cruiserweight Series will be hosted by standout British promotion PROGRESS Wrestling in a sensational link-up for the London-based outfit.

Tipped by talkSPORT and the Gorilla Position podcast to be the leading location to present preliminary bouts for the 205lb weight limit tournament after NXT general manager William Regal announced US-based EVOLVE would hold similar bouts for American performers, the critically-acclaimed reputation of PROGRESS as one of the most on-trend wrestling operations in the world will now no doubt continue to rocket.

Founder Jim Smallman announced the partnership at this afternoons live event at the Electric Ballroom in north London to an ecstatic reaction from the 700 fans in attendance, as well as live on Periscope.

The qualifiers will take place during the companys next show in London on April 24th. PROGRESS - who have also promoted shows at the Download and Sonisphere festivals - expanded into Manchester last December, doubling their schedule for 2016.

Two qualifying matches for WWEs inaugural Global Cruiserweight Series will be hosted by standout British promotion PROGRESS Wrestling in a sensational link-up for the London-based outfit.

Tipped by talkSPORT and the Gorilla Position podcast to be the leading location to present preliminary bouts for the 205lb weight limit tournament after NXT general manager William Regal announced US-based EVOLVE would hold similar bouts for American performers, the critically-acclaimed reputation of PROGRESS as one of the most on-trend wrestling operations in the world will now no doubt continue to rocket.

Founder Jim Smallman announced the partnership at this afternoons live event at the Electric Ballroom in north London to an ecstatic reaction from the 700 fans in attendance, as well as live on Periscope.

The qualifiers will take place during the companys next show in London on April 24th. PROGRESS - who have also promoted shows at the Download and Sonisphere festivals - expanded into Manchester last December, doubling their schedule for 2016.

Fellow Brits and independent standouts Marty Scurll and Will Ospreay could also prove outstanding additions to the Global Cruiserweight series. Both are scheduled to make the trip to Dallas, Texas during Wrestlemania week to make their EVOLVE debuts. However, 22-year-old Ospreay recently signed with New Japan Pro Wrestling and may not be available for WWE dates in the summer.

Having mounted their first show at the Garage in Islington, north London four years ago, PROGRESS' popularity has boomed to the extent tickets for their bigger venue shows in Camden sell out within minutes and have linked up with live gig promoters Live Nation for their biggest ever show in September in front of an expected crowd of 2,000.

For the latest details on how to get tickets at Chapter 29, join the PROGRESS mailing list.

And tickets for the O2 Academy Brixton show in September go on sale from Monday.

The first episode of the Global Cruiserweight Series is scheduled to air on the WWE Network on July 13th.

http://talksport.com/wwe/british-promotion-progress-wrestling-will-host-wwe-global-cruiserweight-series-qualifying

352hnrk.png

We announced our ATLAS CHAMPIONSHIP at Chapter 27 yesterday; wrestlers over the weight of 205lbs will be eligible to compete for this brand-new PROGRESS title.

To decide the first ever Atlas Champion, we have picked two groups of four wrestlers who will compete in a round-robin format, with the eventual final being held at CHAPTER 36: WERE GONNA NEED A BIGGER ROOM AGAIN at the historic Brixton Academy on Sunday September 25th.

We can now announce the eight men who will be competing in this massive (in every sense of the word) tournament:

GROUP A will be made up of Austrian giant BIG DADDY WALTER, the incredibly physical T-BONE, new to PROGRESS Irresistible IESTYN REES and Origin member and all around Bastard, DAVE MASTIFF.

GROUP B consists of former PROGRESS champion RAMPAGE BROWN, The Ironman JOE COFFEY, Belfasts own Big DAMO OCONNOR and former PROGRESS tag team champion MICHAEL DANTE.

Oof. Just oof. MATCHES BEGIN AT CHAPTER 28 IN MANCHESTER ON APRIL 10th!

This sounds pretty awesome. I'm pulling for a Coffey/Mastiff final.

Walter's the one I'm not too familiar with along with Rees. I havent seen too much of T-Bone either to be honest so I'm all for Mastiff in Group A. I could see any of the B guys winning their group though but my preference is Coffey > Dante > Damo > Rampage.

Walter's a beast. one of my favorites on the whole scene right now. there's some stuff on youtube if you wanna see his work. hes a big man but has an impressive arsenal of moves and agility.Could see Mastiff though, as it would make a lot of story sense. probably will be some interference from Nathan/Ligero

A few poìnts of interest after yesterday's show:

The show began with an announcement that due to Marty Scurll's defence in Dallas, Texas, the PROGRESS Championship was now a PROGRESS World Championship. It was also announced that the show was dedicated to the memory of Kris Travis.

Natural Progression Series Semi-Final Damon Moser defeated Ashton Smith by Pinfall to advance to the Natural Progression Series Final against Pastor William Eaver at Chapter 29: Practically Progress In Every Way.

Atlas Championship Tournament Group A T-Bone defeated Big Daddy Walter by Pinfall to score 2 points in the Atlas Championship tournament.

Marty Scurll's open challenge was answered by Anti-Hero Tommy End.

Open Challenge Anti-Hero Tommy End defeated The Villain Marty Scurll by Pinfall.

Following the match, Tommy End made his intentions clear that he wants the PROGRESS Championship.

A title match between End and Scurll has now been announced for Chapter 29.

Awesome news. I've been hoping that PROGRESS would pick him up since his release from NXT.

Me too. Progress was one of the first places I thought of when I heard of his release. I guess SSS16 is the best time to bring him in as he can potentially have 4 (Or is it 5?) great matches for the price of one plane ticket. Would love to see him against Tommy End, Marty Scurll or ZSJ. I feel like he could have a fantastic match with Walter if he's in it as well.

Any idea when Jimmy Havoc is expected to return?

Four matches if he makes it to the final. At least two matches if like last year, they have the ones eliminated during night one also compete on night two.

I hope that none of the guys in the Atlas Round-Robin are involved. Mastiff already has a chance to qualify during Chapter 29 but I don't think he will and that would take out El Ligero too. Either End or Scurll won't be involved and I assume the imports (Sami being one of them) will be different.

I havent heard anything about Jimmy yet.

Archived