SOPA/PIPA News Thread.

ColdBloodEnigma

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is so stupid. SOPA currently has almost five times the amount of opposing representatives that it has who support it. Thats WAY outnumbered. No way that should get through. They've tried the PIPA bill before (it was named differently), and it didn't go through, why try it again? Its not getting any better.

If either one of these did happen to go through, the internet would no longer be a place for free social activity or entertainment. It would just be an expensive encyclopedia that requires electricity to access it. No good can come of these bills. I can guarantee that if these go through, there would be a huge outbreak here in the US, simply because this is taking away the freedom rights we get as Americans. I mean, I can pretty much guarantee that if we said the words "World Wrestling Entertainment" on any site, our post would be removed.

Why stop there? There's plenty of online content that could be blocked by these bills. How about Ebay.com or Amazon.com? If those bills passed, you can say goodbye to ever ordering another video game, movie, or pack of WWE action figures from anyone but the manufacture's website ever again. You will never get a good price on anything online ever again because there will be no need for anyone to lower their prices at all. They would have full control, and I can tell you now, WWE would be all over that in a heartbeat. Your favorite websites, including but not limited to; Wikipedia, Youtube, Google, Yahoo, Bing, Gamestop, Amazon, Ebay, Newegg, Gamespot, IGN, and CAWs would be extremely limited, and possibly shut down.

No good, I repeat, NO GOOD, can come from this.

I just saw that the MLB, UFC, NHL, NFL, NBA and NCAA are for SOPA. Same with Nintendo and Sony. However, I saw a list of websites against SOPA:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/12/22/over-40-internet-companies-have-come-out-publicly-against-sopa/

Nintendo and Sony aren't anymore, after Anonymous threatened to hack them.

I just saw that the MLB, UFC, NHL, NFL, NBA and NCAA are for SOPA. Same with Nintendo and Sony. However, I saw a list of websites against SOPA:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/12/22/over-40-internet-companies-have-come-out-publicly-against-sopa/

Nintendo and Sony aren't anymore, after Anonymous threatened to hack them.

Whew. That's good news.

Pirate Bay is immune to SOPA:

Over on Techdirt, Mike Masnick has pointed out the mother of all ironies: The Pirate Bay, one of the largest outlets of copyright infringement, would be immune to the takedown tendrils of the imminently incoming Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA).

Apparently it all comes down to the fact that The Pirate Bay has a .org domain — and according to Masnick, the current version of the SOPA bill working its way through congress excludes American domestic domains from being the target of takedown notices from copyright holders. In this case, a “domestic domain” is any domain that comes from a TLD run by an American registry — and sure enough, .org’s registry is Public Interest Registry, a US non-profit based in Virginia. In other words, thepiratebay.org isn’t eligible for a SOPA-based takedown, even if its servers are based in Sweden or another country outside the US.

Believe it or not, by the same logic, .com and .net domains — both of which are managed by American company VeriSign — would also be immune from the SOPA bill as it currently stands.

Presumably the bill distinguishes between domestic and non-domestic domains for legal or political reasons. SOPA was originally designed to target any “US-directed site” — i.e. any site that is accessible from the US — but a recent amendment narrows the target of SOPA down to “foreign internet sites.” If this is really the case, SOPA, as it stands, is toothless.

As stupid as all this sounds, this is fairly representative of what happens when lawmakers try to write laws that curtail the use of general-purpose computers (PCs) and networks (the internet). If you know anything about the decentralized nature of the internet, you can see how stupid a law like SOPA is — and how ludicrous it is to base a website’s location on its TLD registry. SOPA, at its most basic, grants copyright holders the provision to to blackhole a website at the DNS level and force search engines to delist an infringing site. In a perfect world, as far as SOPA’s sponsors and supporters are concerned, this would effectively break the internet. In reality, though, there is no way in hell that the US will be able to police foreign DNS servers or search engines.

The internet has proven time and time again that it’s virtually impossible to control. Unfortunately, this has the double-barreled effect of a) terrifying lawmakers, and b) forcing them to make heavier and more aggressive laws in the hope that something might stick. That’s why we’re now staring down the smooth, rifled tubes of a SOPA shotgun.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/113275-the-pirate-bay-is-immune-to-sopa

One thing about those lists of companies who either support or oppose this: Some of the ones supporting don't stand all that much to gain by it really, and I would imagine that their support is little more then a verbal stamp of approval. How much online media piracy could some of those non-media companies be suffering from?

Meanwhile, some of the companies opposing these bills (giants like youtube, facebook, google, etc...) stand to lose a lot... so they are intent to fight this tooth and nail.

Now Sony and Nintendo do lose some profit from piracy, and that's funny that they changed their stance... seemingly only after being threatened. But hopefully it's because they woke up and realized that SOPA and PIPA were ineffective legislation that wouldn't do a damn thing to stop piracy anyways.

But like Fulgore said, they are DOA for now. But it's important that people continue to stay aware of this issue as I'm sure that the RIAA and their lobbyist henchmen will try to drum up another similar piece of legislation. Like the representative from Reddit said on AOTS... it's like trying to play whack a mole.

One thing about those lists of companies who either support or oppose this: Some of the ones supporting don't stand all that much to gain by it really, and I would imagine that their support is little more then a verbal stamp of approval. How much online media piracy could some of those non-media companies be suffering from?

Meanwhile, some of the companies opposing these bills (giants like youtube, facebook, google, etc...) stand to lose a lot... so they are intent to fight this tooth and nail.

Now Sony and Nintendo do lose some profit from piracy, and that's funny that they changed their stance... seemingly only after being threatened. But hopefully it's because they woke up and realized that SOPA and PIPA were ineffective legislation that wouldn't do a damn thing to stop piracy anyways.

But like Fulgore said, they are DOA for now. But it's important that people continue to stay aware of this issue as I'm sure that the RIAA and their lobbyist henchmen will try to drum up another similar piece of legislation. Like the representative from Reddit said on AOTS... it's like trying to play whack a mole.

Exactly, just because these bills are dead doesn't mean we should lower our awareness of them. We will most likely see another bill like this in the future, or we could see the same exact bills appear, just rewritten.

Archived