The Podcast Discussion Thread

XXX.

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AJ Styles recently appeared on Lilian Garcias podcast (via wrestlinginc.com), here are the highlights

On Turning own a Developmental Deal When WCW Closed: I had a developmental deal to move down to Cincinnati [Ohio], Styles recalled. But I was married and I didnt think it was right even though my wife said, go! It wasnt right to leave her [and] have her move back in with her mother. My job is to take care of her, so I turned down, respectfully, the developmental deal with WWE and then within, like, a couple of months, TNA started up, which I thought was just another independent thing that I thought was happening. It wasnt a big deal to me, but within six months, I was like, okay, this might be something. And as it grew on, it grew and I grew to love that place because I felt like it was something I and other guys were building. We were building. We were the foundation. We were going to build this into something great. And at some point in time, at one point in time, it was great. It was a great place to be. We were having a lot of fun. We were changing the way people looked at [pro] wrestling.

On TNAs Decline in 2009-2010: When you want to become a lesser version of something else, and when I say that, I mean WWE Light, youre not giving people an alternative. Styles added, if they want to watch WWE, theyre going to watch WWE. Youve got to be something different, so they went with a regular square ring. I thought that was a big mistake. You [brought] in guys that I dont know people wanted to see anymore because they had grown so used to a certain style of wrestling that was happening at TNA. There were a lot of things that [brought] it down and it was guys like Christian and Kurt [Angle] who came over before all this happened that really sparked TNA and made it something bigger. It was growing because of them. But around 2009, 2010, around there, they forgot who they were and didnt rely on the guys that got them there to the ballgame in the first place, the big game, anyway. And therefore, it started going downhill.

On Why He left TNA: Despite all that, I saw myself as, this is my home, and I was loyal to TNA, Styles reflected. But when you dont allow me to provide for my family the way I think I should be able to by all the time and all the years I put in, well then, its not making much sense to me. And so, ultimately, thats why I left, because they wanted me to take less than I was making. I hadnt done anything wrong and I tried to be the best ambassador for the company that I could. A lot of things I thought I did right, but they didnt see it that way, so I left. I bet on myself and I left.

On being Reborn in NJPW: I went to New Japan, and I dont know, I felt like I was reborn with some crazy stuff, Styles remembered. I met Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows and bunch of other great guys. Yes, yes [bullet Club]. And I think we changed New Japan for the good in a certain way. Im not saying its me. Im saying a lot of us had a lot to do with it. It was the timing of it and just that people could tells the guys in it were having fun. Like, we were too.

On Almost Returning to TNA Before His WWE Debut: It wasnt too long after that [NJPW stint] that TNA came back to me and said, okay, well give you pretty much when youre asking for to come back.' Styles elaborated, I said, well, Im not coming back without somebody. I need Anderson and Gallows. I said, I want them to come with me. We actually had a meeting over at Dixie Carters house. There were still some things we werent sure about and I had talked to WWE a little bit, but they hadnt gotten back to me, so I just assumed they had other things going on. They didnt need AJ Styles, which WWE is a big place. I get it. Im not the most important person in the world. I know that. But luckily, Triple H and I, we had a great conversation, like a 30-minute conversation the first time we talked. I said, oh, this is going well. And within a week, the ball really started rolling.

On Bringing Gallows & Anderson With Him to WWE: Well, I said, and this is kind of funny, I said, hey, listen, well, Ive got these two other guys, Gallows and Anderson, and we were going to go as a group over here. And they were like, well, were only interested in you right now. I was like, okay, and within that same week, they go, no, we want all of you. And so, I was like, yes! because I didnt want to pull them away and, like, get their hopes up, and go, oh, sorry, guys. So Im so glad they got to come with me. Like, its a huge difference. Styles said, I just feel like there was a hot group of guys right there and I wish I could have brought all of them. Like, they are very loyal, as they should be, to the people that got them to where they are today, and so, Gallows and Anderson were ready to come back home. They spent a lot of time in Japan, a lot.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/aj-styles-almost-returning-tna-signing-wwe-changed-mind/

Rey isn't training Dominic at all? I know he's busy but figured he'd still be a big part

Probably has, but he wants to send Dominic to as many top wrestling schools as he can so he can pick up many different styles of wrestling.

WWE SmackDown Live Superstar "The Lone Wolf" Baron Corbin was recently a guest on the All Things Wrestling Radio Podcast and talked about when WWE officials told him about their plans to have him unsuccessfully cash in his Money in the Bank contract for a shot at the WWE Championship:

It was kinda like an hour before [smackDown Live]. We discussed it, and then they made a decision that was gonna be the night. It didnt work out, but, yeah it was definitely about an hour before. I mean, its the fun part of this business. You never know what your day is gonna hold. Some things could be very, very last minute. It could be at that very last second. So, its pretty wild, and it keeps you on your toes. Thats for sure.

https://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/news/51164/Baron-Corbin-on-When-WWE-Officials-Told-Him-About/

Full podcast: https://www.spreaker.com/user/lacrossemediagroup/03-03-2018-dolph-ziggler-baron-corbin

• 2 weeks later...

Twas looking for new wrestling podcasts that might peek my interest on Spotify and I stumbled upon this new one called "Why It Ended" with Robbie E as the host of all people. Pretty interesting concept, he's just trying to interview anybody who's had abrupt endings to their careers. So far they've got three episodes with Glacier, Muhammad Hassan and Wildcat Chris Harris/Braden Walker. I also appreciate that they're keeping episodes at around the one hour mark, as so many podcasts today I feel try to make you listen to them all day long (or spread the episode throughout the week). They've also put out a list a while back of potential guests on the podcast:

https://twitter.com/whyitended/status/977287091980787713?s=19

Twas looking for new wrestling podcasts that might peek my interest on Spotify and I stumbled upon this new one called "Why It Ended" with Robbie E as the host of all people. Pretty interesting concept, he's just trying to interview anybody who's had abrupt endings to their careers. So far they've got three episodes with Glacier, Muhammad Hassan and Wildcat Chris Harris/Braden Walker. I also appreciate that they're keeping episodes at around the one hour mark, as so many podcasts today I feel try to make you listen to them all day long (or spread the episode throughout the week). They've also put out a list a while back of potential guests on the podcast:

https://twitter.com/whyitended/status/977287091980787713?s=19

That Kizarny guy. :lol:

John Cena is a 16-time world champion in WWE, but he admitted he'd be in over his head if he were to cross paths with UFC star Conor McGregor.

During an interview on Viceland's Desus & Mero, Cena discussed the possibility of McGregor making the jump to WWE. Cena said McGregor "probably would" defeat him in the ring but expressed excitement about the idea of McGregor wrestling in WWE.

The discussion begins at the 13:58 mark of the video below (warning: video contains profanity):

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2768188-john-cena-says-conor-mcgregor-would-probably-beat-him-up-in-wwe-match

• 2 weeks later...

Aleister Black recently appeared on E&Cs Pod Of Awesomeness (transcript via wrestlinginc.com), discussing how he got his ring name, writing the lyrics to his entrance song, career goals, and more

On Who Came Up With His Name: The name was kind of a collaboration between me and Triple H. Black explained, I think when I originally started pitching some ideas, he was seeing where I was going with it. And I think Triple H has a really sharp mind for these kinds of things and he was like, well, what do you think about Aleister Black? And I was like, that sounds great that sounds amazing.'

On His Theme Song: When it came to the music, CFO$ and all those guys, and Neil [Lawi] from WWE Music, I gave them examples of what I think Aleister Blacks music should be and they let me write the lyrics, which was really cool. Black continued, and then, Brendan [Garrone] from Incendiary, sang the lyrics. And Incendiary is one of my favorite hardcore bands, so that was a trip as well. So they had me pretty involved in the whole process from what I was to what I became in NXT.

On Wanting to Make it To WrestleMania: WrestleMania, thats that one picture I have in my head, especially now, coming here. Black elaborated, like when I had that first match and I had that first taste of what WWE brings to the table, and I saw that grand stage the day after, I was like, right there. Thats it. Thats the one. Thats what Im aiming for. And I know it sounds cliche, but I feel as any professional wrestler, any performer that works in this industry, I think that should be your goal. With all due respect to anyone who thinks different, but, for me, in my opinion, that is where its at. Right there.

On Wanting to Work With Finn Balor: Thats definitely something that [has] been inside my upper chamber as well. Black said, thats definitely something that has been on my mind for sure because I think the contrast yet similarities are fantastic and that guy, his wrestling ability is on a different level. He is truly unique.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/aleister-black-says-triple-h-came-name-talks-writing-lyrics-theme/

Full podcast: https://art19.com/shows/ecs-pod-of-awesomeness/episodes/49c870e0-ebb8-4e84-8384-de48465d5939

Archived