Hockey Thread

Ernez

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe they're first now in the league. If they make the playoffs Toronto will go nuts, if they manage to win the Stanley Cup now or in the future I guarantee you Toronto will be destroyed lmao. No joke though, it'll be like the G20 again but for good reasoning.

The Leafs are currently 1st in the league right now, with 19 points. Though if Pittsburgh beats San Jose tonight, they'll retake the lead with 20 points.

The last time the Red Wings dropped six straight games was February 7-17 of 2008. The end result of that season wasn't too shabby.

Got that off the Red Wings Twitter page, RT'd by the NHL page.

Sharks beat the Penguins 4-3 in the Shootout, after they were down 2-0 at the end of the first, and 3-1 at the end of the second.

Fair enough, that is a good stat and everything, but this is just becoming frustrating now! We need to be more clinical with the puck, and convert more of our chances, as well as being aware at the back. I think Nick leaves to much ground for himself to cover when he plays a high line, I think if he stayed back a little more, it would be better for the defense as a whole.

I think the worst looking ones are the Chicago (it lacks the red outline on the logo), Minnesota and Colorado jerseys. Their jerseys are just too dark. Same thing with Buffalo. Out of the jerseys they got, I like the Boston and San Jose jerseys. Though I'm hoping they release an Anaheim jersey, as the Sharks are so far the only team from the Pacific with a jersey.

I just saw highlights from the Blues' mascot' 2010-2011 season. Man, I would not want to mess around with him...especially if you're wearing a jersey of the opposition :lol: Go check NHL.com to see what I mean.

What about Rafalski?

He was injury prone, and to be fair he seemed to be coming to the end of the road. I don't think he would offer us anything more than we currently have. I suppose he would give us a little more squad depth though.

I just saw highlights from the Blues' mascot' 2010-2011 season. Man, I would not want to mess around with him...especially if you're wearing a jersey of the opposition :lol: Go check NHL.com to see what I mean.

That is one bear you don't want to mess with :lol:! Louie the Blue! He also wouldn't seem out of place on Jackass.

Yeah out of the videos, his was definitely my favourite (least favourite was the vid of the Caps' mascot). Which reminds me, who do you think has the best and worst mascot?

Detroit's about to end their losing streak, with a win over Anaheim. Detroit currently leads 5-0. And the Islanders got a win over the Capitals, 5-3.

I don't really have a worst. I do like Sparky of the Islanders though; I think he is the best mascot costume.

And the Red Wings are back on track (well, kinda)!

Also, I'd just like to point out that Hockey is fantastic, because there are no teams that I hate, unlike other sports, where I hate Liverpool, the Pats, the Red Sox, and the Mavericks :P.

I remember reading an article about the worst NHL mascots. And unfortunately, Louie and Sparky were both featured on the list. I believe the Habs' mascot was listed as the worst. I know the mascots of Colorado, Minnesota, Ottawa and Toronto were on the list.

I still can't believe how good the Leafs have been playing. I have legit playoffs hope this year.

I've said the Leafs were going to make the playoffs for a few seasons now. Hope to see them there this year.

Blues beat Chi-Town 3-0 last night with a stellar game from a struggling Halak. Also paid tribute to Korolev and Demitra, two former players who passed in the Lokomotiv Plane Crash. Blues were 1-2 on the power play, moving from worst in the league to 28th, Chicago went 0-4 and moved to the 30th hole. First game under Hitchcock was a resounding success. PP looked brilliant, one of the things he said would be fixed quickly. Didn't think it'd happen in one game though.

Boston has moved up from last in the East to 13th in the East with 3 wins in a row. The teams below them are Montreal and the Islanders. The only difference, is that the Bruins have played one less game than the Habs, and the Islanders have only played 12 games.

Also, the Maple Leafs may be trying to get Nabby from the Islanders. Click the link for the article, as well as a lot of other articles:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Puck-Headlines-Pronger-back-Konopka-pissed-Na;_ylt=Av4ORrHHsLplpChhCSQIi997vLYF?urn=nhl-wp17038

Though if you don't want to go through that link, this is what the article says:

Chris Botta, the former New York Islanders blogger who now writes for the NY Times' Slapshot blog, tweeted this earlier:

@ChrisBottaNHL: Ron Wilson could be reunited with Nabokov. But will #Isles trade a quality G within East again for a draft pick or iffy prospect?

Rumor is that the asking price for Evgeni Nabokov is a 2nd round draft pick, though if that were the case I'm guessing Nabokov would be a Blue Jacket or a Maple Leaf already.

Nabokov is quietly having a decent season as part of a three headed goalie monster on the Island. Al Montoya continues to keep his SV% above .920 and Rick DiPietro is literally unmoveable so it makes sense that Nabokov would be on the market, especially given that his contract was tolled and he doesn't seem to like New York.

Nabokov would give the Leafs some stability in net and when James Reimer returns Toronto could have a goalie battle that wasn't a race to the bottom for once. Jonas Gustavsson would obviously be the odd man out, and pointing out how bad he is so obvious that "pointing out Gustavsson's struggles" should likely replace "beating a dead horse" in our collective lexicons.

Gustavsson played a decent week for us and has backed it up with an horrific one, but last night it hit me: the worst part about Gustavsson is that he isn't cost controlled. If he stinks the Leafs lose games. If Gustavsson suddenly sets the world on fire he's a UFA and will command top dollar or leave.

It's up to Brian Burke to shore up this team's goaltending options. I wouldn't send Ben Scrivens to live on a farm yet but he's clearly not ready for prime time. Mark Owuya and Jussi Rynnas don't look ready to save the day although I think Rynnas may be deserving of a call up only given the options ahead of him.

Meanwhile the Leafs are still 9-5-1 and they've lost two games in a row for the first time all season. Kessel leads the NHL in goals 15 games in and Toronto's still a young team trying to add pieces. Chin up Leafs fans.

I still can't believe how good the Leafs have been playing. I have legit playoffs hope this year.

I've said the Leafs were going to make the playoffs for a few seasons now. Hope to see them there this year.

Blues beat Chi-Town 3-0 last night with a stellar game from a struggling Halak. Also paid tribute to Korolev and Demitra, two former players who passed in the Lokomotiv Plane Crash. Blues were 1-2 on the power play, moving from worst in the league to 28th, Chicago went 0-4 and moved to the 30th hole. First game under Hitchcock was a resounding success. PP looked brilliant, one of the things he said would be fixed quickly. Didn't think it'd happen in one game though.

What do you think of firing Payne and hiring Hitchcock? I thought the Blues gained big time for getting a Cup winning, old school type of coach. I think they needed a kick in the ass and Hitchcock seems to be that guy to do it. They just have so much talent on that team.

Also, the Maple Leafs may be trying to get Nabby from the Islanders.

Whatever, I don't want Nabby anymore. I have a feeling he's packing it in, just so he can get traded. Getting a 2nd round pick for him would be a steal in a very deep draft this year. Not to mention, Montoya is playing phenomenal for us and the players seem much calmer with him in net. DiPietro isn't playing too shabby either, which is shocking. But yeah, I want Nabby out. He's not doing much for us to be honest, especially after that horrid game against Boston.

Archived