Rise of the Tomb Raider - PS4 release date confirmed

Daizee Haze

as i'm sure your all aware by now this game will be out come december but from what i'm understanding this game will only be on the xbox's as a timed exclusive then ps4 & pc @ a later date all i can say is can't wait comments welcome.

The Tomb Raider series made a huge return to prominence with the 2013 release. That game really took me by surprise...and I am officially on-board with whatever the series has in store after playing that...especially on current gen. I mean, I guess the 2013 game got a current-gen port...but I'm talking about an official current-gen game, built from the ground-up. I was going to pre-order this game a while back, but I decided that I might as well ask for it as a Christmas gift. Perfect timing for a solid game to release...(assuming it meets the projected date).

This game is the only reason i kind of regret going PS4 instead of X1. But still, i can't friggin wait for it. I loved TR 2013, and felt that it had a good blend of gameplay types.

I'm still pissed that it's initially being released exclusively on Xbox One. Nobody even knows the time frame of when it will be released on PS4. I blame Square. I think it's shitty for them to do this with a continuing series. It's a big '*Censored* you' to Sony gamers, like myself, that contributed to the success of the first game.

• 2 months later...

Apparently this game is getting...not one...not two...not three, but, four different preorder bonuses in the US. Meh.

ZKGkPZH.jpg

JGp3Mea.jpg

woiPJwj.jpg

pzjOTNH.jpg

North American Preorder Offerings

The Apex Predator Pack (GameStop Exclusive in North America)
Includes:

• The all-new Apex Predator outfit for Lara, with patchwork clothing made of bear fur, animal claws, and scraps of cloth. A dried bloody hand print across Lara’s face completes this intimidating look. The Apex Predator outfit also reduces damage inflicted by animals
  • The upgradeable Python Hand Cannon, which offers incredible stopping power
  • A Card Pack including the rare Holy Fire card, which causes enemies killed with melee to burst into flames, damaging and igniting other enemies nearby

The Hope’s Bastion Pack (Amazon)
Includes:

• The all-new Hope’s Bastion outfit for Lara, with ancient byzantine era chainmail, armor, and tough leather she has gathered from hidden tombs. The Hope’s Bastion outfit also boosts Lara’s charged bow shots
  • The Wreckoner Battle Axe Skin
  • A Card Pack including the rare Juggernaut foil card, which gives Lara additional armor with each kill for a limited time

The Sparrowhawk Pack (Best Buy)
Includes:

• The all-new Sparrowhawk outfit for Lara, crafted from the furs and hides of animals she has hunted. The Sparrowhawk outfit also boosts Lara’s hunting ability
  • The White Wood Recurve Bow Skin
  • A Card Pack including the rare Master Hunter foil card, which deals double damage on animals and yields double the resources when hunting

Remnant Resistance Pack (Participating Retailers)
Includes:

• The all-new Remnant outfit for Lara, which is a collection of animal skins and ancient byzantine armor. The outfit gives Lara a chance to bandage without using her resources.
  • The Matte Ebony Magnum Skin
  • The Bullet Resistance foil card, which gives Lara extra damage resistance to gunfire

There's also a steelbook version for UK preorders from GAME

RHSzrlI.jpg

Preorders, Crystal Dynamics...you're doing them painfully wrong.

• 1 month later...

I wish Xbox gave you the hard copy instead of download codes, I swear I even forget I have the game like that.

Really? I've come around to digital now. Prefer not having game cases taking up un needed space these days. So much easier just downloading.

Yeah, I'm not bothered by digital either, tbh. It would be different if owning the disc actually meant you could pop it in and play whenever you want...but since they *censored*ed that up with the new systems, it doesn't really have any upside at all (just something to hold and look at...which is nice, but not if you lack shelf space.)

• 2 months later...

I'm so happy this game was a commercial flop despite it apparently being a great game. PlayStation users bought the reboot and got told to *Censored* off with it's sequel. Well, you *censored*ed up Square.

• 1 month later...

I'm so happy this game was a commercial flop despite it apparently being a great game. PlayStation users bought the reboot and got told to *Censored* off with it's sequel. Well, you *censored*ed up Square.

Well, somebody sure is bitter.

Also, low sales probably have just as much to do with the fact that they released it the same day as Fallout 4 as anything else. I had the money to buy TR the day it came out, but I knew I wasn't going to be playing both TR and Fallout simultaneously, so I waited until Christmas to get it. That said, I ultimately stopped playing Fallout to play TR instead, and I think TR is a better game than Fallout...as a total package.

But, anyway...Playstation users didn't get told to "*Censored* off"...that's the most childish thing I've ever heard. A deal was made and that's the end of it. It wasn't done to spite Playstation owners...it was done because two companies mutually agreed to a sum of money and the papers were signed. Also, as stated in past interviews and what have you, Microsoft has helped Crystal Dynamics in "a big way"...so it isn't just playing favorites or some nonsense...MS legitimately helped make the Tomb Raider franchise what it is today, according directly to the people who make the series. The deal was one that they made out of respect for Microsoft's contributions. Maybe you should be praising MS for helping make the modern Tomb Raider games as great as they are...instead of complaining about timed exclusivity.

I'm not bitter cos I'll be playing it by the end of the year. I'm happy it *censored*ed up for Square but I feel sorry for Crystal Dynamics. It was a '*Censored* you' to PlayStation users. If the first game was exclusive to Xbox then fair enough, but it wasn't. PS3 and PS4 sales contributed to the success of the 2013 game and to be shut out of the direct sequel for a year is pretty shitty. It's a lesson learned for Square and I'm willing to bet they won't be making the same mistake again.

MS allegedly paid over $10 million for the exclusivity. I just did the math, and that adds about another 166,667 copies of total sales to the game. Will Square/Crystal ultimately lose that many sales when the game finally does come to PS4? I doubt it. The number of people who are going to choose not to buy the game at all just because it's late on PS4 is not going to be that high. I sincerely doubt it.

Instead, Square will eventually make off with almost as many PS4 sales for the game as they normally would (obviously a few less for people who lost interest, but probably nothing severe)...and they also get 166,667 additional copies worth of sales figures. I think both the developer and the publisher are going to be fine in this situation. And that's only assuming that "over 10 million" means closer to 10 than it does 15 or 20. It's possible that they just didn't want to say how much they spent on the deal. I'm sure everyone is sitting pretty, and there are probably no regrets being had by anyone.

MS allegedly paid over $10 million for the exclusivity. I just did the math, and that adds about another 166,667 copies of total sales to the game. Will Square/Crystal ultimately lose that many sales when the game finally does come to PS4? I doubt it. The number of people who are going to choose not to buy the game at all just because it's late on PS4 is not going to be that high. I sincerely doubt it.

Instead, Square will eventually make off with almost as many PS4 sales for the game as they normally would (obviously a few less for people who lost interest, but probably nothing severe)...and they also get 166,667 additional copies worth of sales figures. I think both the developer and the publisher are going to be fine in this situation. And that's only assuming that "over 10 million" means closer to 10 than it does 15 or 20. It's possible that they just didn't want to say how much they spent on the deal. I'm sure everyone is sitting pretty, and there are probably no regrets being had by anyone.

it's easy for you to say. you're the one with an xbox.

Rise of the Tomb Raider sold 330,000 copies in it's first month. Tomb Raider in the same time frame sold 3.4 million. Let's be generous and say Microsoft paid them the higher figure of 25 million for exclusivity. That adds up to $45 million compared to Tomb Raider's $204 million.

If they produced the game independent of Microsoft, they could've selected a release window of their own choosing and avoid one of the most anticipated games of the year. So yeah, I think it's safe to say they're regretting their decision.

Rise of the Tomb Raider sold 330,000 copies in it's first month.

Uh...it was actually 330,000 in the first week, not month.

Also...let's consider, that, as I said, 'Rise' went head to head with arguably the largest video game release in recent memory (Fallout 4). And I have also yet to hear any up-to-date statistics on units sold or money generated for Rise of the Tomb Raider, other than that 330K, which was the first week (in direct competition with Fallout 4). I'm sure most people probably got the game for Christmas, or shortly there after...and I'm sure the numbers are doing just fine.

Archived