U.S. Politics Discussion

maskedmaniac

Why are you talking about banning guns?

I was going to the very extreme to prove a point. Even if you ban all guns, criminals will still have them. That's why I think to protect myself and what I should do if the event arises. Just like a fire drill.

Bad guys will also have handgrenates, bio-weapons and large amounts of illegal drugs. It's not an argument. You're just contributing to keeping more guns in circulation. Banning all guns is not an argument being made, so don't strawman it.

Okay. Name me the last time someone used a hand grenade and bioweapons in the US.

Can't, Because they are illegal and harder to obtain.

Grenades are not exactly illegal. And DC vs. Heller states that any weapon that is in general use by the public falls under the second amendment, including these so called "assault rifle" or "weapons of war", whatever euphemism that is the hot take this week.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who cares about the second amendment? Amendments have been changed several times throughout US history and were intended to be, in order to adjust to modern weaponary and technology.

It's not an argument against stricter gun laws.

Who cares about the second amendment? Amendments have been changed several times throughout US history and were intended to be, in order to adjust to modern weaponary and technology.

It's not an argument against stricter gun laws.

It takes a lot to change an amendment and the second is not going away any time soon. I mentioned DC vs. Heller because it has Supreme Court precedent.

And I'll ask you the same thing. What laws would you want that aren't already on the books?

The 2nd Amendment only means what it means today because of the NRA

Yeah, just like the first amendment only applies to quill and paper.

I find it hilarious that people think the Founding Fathers could fight off the most powerful military might in the world at the time, yet knew nothing about the idea of technological innovation even though one of the founding fathers was Benjamin Franklin.

Get real.

The 2nd Amendment only means what it means today because of the NRA

Lol what? No it doesn't. What an ignorant thing to say. If anything you should thank the NRA because we have more gun control and laws because of them alongside our government.

If anything you should thank the NRA because we have more gun control and laws because of them alongside our government.

Eh...

Nah

NRA is just a bullshit marketing ploy to shove guns down people's throats with rhetoric about "freedom" and "rights" and "fighting the man". I've seen the kind of shit they send in the mail...it's absurd. Used to subscribe to Knives Illustrated, and the NRA would occasionally send me their nonsense (because, I guess you aren't allowed to enjoy knives without gun people thinking you're one of them). In no way does the NRA contribute to responsible gun ownership. They have one agenda (to help the gun industry thrive).

Their flyers usually read something like "Dear fellow freedom lover, the government is trying to take your guns. We must join together and stop them, blah, blah...freedom, blah, liberal agenda, blah, blah, blah, with help from your donations, blah, blah, send us money for freedom, blah". It's complete and utter horseshit. They do a better job of inspiring fear and paranoia than they do to inspire responsible ownership. 99% of their deal is whipping people into a panic and convincing them that they need to go out and buy guns to be safe.

And if there's any sort of legislature that ends up being passed in part to the NRA, it has more to do with people seeing what type of nutjobs are in the NRA, and moving to oppose their ludicrous agenda. Nothing else. "NRA working alongside the government" my ass. NRA is just a front. Everyone knows that shit. The NRA is a direct threat to anyone who truly wishes to own firearms legally and responsibly, because they portray the entire base as a bunch of paranoid nutjobs.

If anything you should thank the NRA because we have more gun control and laws because of them alongside our government.

Eh...

Nah

NRA is just a bullshit marketing ploy to shove guns down people's throats with rhetoric about "freedom" and "rights" and "fighting the man". I've seen the kind of shit they send in the mail...it's absurd. Used to subscribe to Knives Illustrated, and the NRA would occasionally send me their nonsense (because, I guess you aren't allowed to enjoy knives without gun people thinking you're one of them). In no way does the NRA contribute to responsible gun ownership. They have one agenda (to help the gun industry thrive).

Their flyers usually read something like "Dear fellow freedom lover, the government is trying to take your guns. We must join together and stop them, blah, blah...freedom, blah, liberal agenda, blah, blah, blah, with help from your donations, blah, blah, send us money for freedom, blah". It's complete and utter horseshit. They do a better job of inspiring fear and paranoia than they do to inspire responsible ownership. 99% of their deal is whipping people into a panic and convincing them that they need to go out and buy guns to be safe.

And if there's any sort of legislature that ends up being passed in part to the NRA, it has more to do with people seeing what type of nutjobs are in the NRA, and moving to oppose their ludicrous agenda. Nothing else. "NRA working alongside the government" my ass. NRA is just a front. Everyone knows that shit. The NRA is a direct threat to anyone who truly wishes to own firearms legally and responsibly, because they portray the entire base as a bunch of paranoid nutjobs.

How can you call them paranoid when there are presidential candidates and their supporters on the left that are saying that they want to take their guns away and one candidate even threatened nukes (Eric Swalwell) as retaliation?

How can you call them paranoid when there are presidential candidates and their supporters on the left that are saying that they want to take their guns away and one candidate even threatened atomic bombs (Eric Swalwell) as retaliation?

Cause and effect. Learn about it.

People want to take their guns BECAUSE they act like paranoid nutjobs, and they go out of their way to "spread the good word" about guns and gun culture. If they were chilling at home, minding their own business, responsibly (and quietly) admiring their damn guns, then people wouldn't have anything to say against them. They have people trying to enact gun laws for the exact reason that these people are basically out here screaming from the mountain-tops that everyone needs to own guns.

How can you call them paranoid when there are presidential candidates and their supporters on the left that are saying that they want to take their guns away and one candidate even threatened atomic bombs (Eric Swalwell) as retaliation?

Cause and effect. Learn about it.

People want to take their guns BECAUSE they act like paranoid nutjobs, and they go out of their way to "spread the good word" about guns and gun culture.

You made the accusation. Provide the proof that this is a cause and effect and not because of mass shootings or anything else. The Dem candidates are talking about confiscation of all people's guns, not just NRA members.

May I remind you that when there is a mass shooting, there is never an NRA member that is behind the trigger. If anything, they injure or kill the gunman if they are involved. Example: Sutherland Springs shooter.

May I remind you that when there is a mass shooting, there is never an NRA member that is behind the trigger.

What kind of statement even is this?

Oh wait...it's a bullshit one. Nevermind.

Way to provide a counter argument there. Must have taken you a long time to look that information up.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/cory-booker-americans-should-be-thrown-in-jail-if-they-wont-give-up-their-guns

So...let me get this straight.

You make a bullshit statement. I call it bullshit (because it is)...and then instead of backing up that bullshit statement, you just post a separate article to inspire fear about guns being taken away? Par for the course, I guess.

Mass Shootings aren't the only way guns lead to the death of people...

And as Gen said. If people go around shouting "I want to shoot the government if they do annoy me enough" then yeah. Politicians will not want these people to hold guns.

And as Gen said. If people go around shouting "I want to shoot the government if they do annoy me enough" then yeah. Politicians will not want these people to hold guns.

Provide proof the NRA does this.

So...let me get this straight.

You make a bullshit statement. I call it bullshit (because it is)...and then instead of backing up that bullshit statement, you just post a separate article to inspire fear about guns being taken away? Par for the course, I guess.

Okay. Google "NRA Member Mass Shooter" and tell me what you get. Nothing. If there was an NRA member that was a mass shooter, the media would be all over it.

Provide proof that the NRA isn't a corporate shill for big firearms.

I'll wait.

They can't be a corporate shill. They are ran entirely through donations and make no money from gun nor ammo purchases.

I also like the fact that you edited what you said a few posts up. Guess you couldn't find any proof.

Okay. Google "NRA Member Mass Shooter" and tell me what you get. Nothing. If there was an NRA member that was a mass shooter, the media would be all over it.

That has the be the dumbest reasoning/retort I've ever heard for anything.

Also:

AfeASzY.png

Didn't know that "nothing" meant 3 million + results. Maybe you want to choose your words differently?

Anyway...going to mow the lawn. God bless America, and not being shot to death.

That has the be the dumbest reasoning/retort I've ever heard for anything.

Also:

AfeASzY.png

Didn't know that "nothing" meant 3 million + results. Maybe you want to choose your words differently?

Anyway...going to mow the lawn. God bless America, and not being shot to death.

Dear Lord. Locate an article that states that a mass shooter was an NRA member. Shouldn't be hard to find since there are 3,210,000 results.

They can't be a corporate shill. They are ran entirely through donations and make no money from gun nor ammo purchases.

I also like the fact that you edited what you said a few posts up. Guess you couldn't find any proof.

Your reasoning (or lack there of) is some the shoddiest I have ever witnessed. I think you need to go do some research on scientific process and the "how" and "why" of cause and effect...because, nothing you're saying is coming close to pinning down any sort of correlating evidence. Saying "they can't be a corporate shill because they're funded through donations" is a load of ass for blatant reasons. Especially when they're under an ongoing investigation for illicit activities pertaining to their funding.

And the post I edited was edited for a grammatical error. You're grasping at some serious straws if you think I'm going to be discouraged by you calling me out on editing a post. That's about the dumbest shit I've ever seen.

Like I said...going to mow the lawn now. Feel free to argue with yourself.

And for the record, telling other people to google and research facts or stats for you is not equal to proof or having a solid opinion. Just fyi. If you knew what the hell you were talking about, you'd have something more solid to present than "go google it...it has to be true". Next you'll be telling me to go watch a youtube by some guy with the name NRA4Jesus or something...

Your reasoning (or lack there of) is some the shoddiest I have ever witnessed. I think you need to go do some research on scientific process and the "how" and "why" of cause and effect...because, nothing you're saying is coming close to pinning down any sort of correlating evidence. Saying "they can't be a corporate shill because they're funded through donations" is a load of ass for blatant reasons. Especially when they're under an ongoing investigation for illicit activities pertaining to their funding.

And the post I edited was edited for a grammatical error. You're grasping at some serious straws if you think I'm going to be discouraged by you calling me out on editing a post. That's about the dumbest shit I've ever seen.

Like I said...going to mow the lawn now. Feel free to argue with yourself.

Since you are all about science, you should research making a claim and then having the burden of proof for that claim.

The NRA isn't an organisation. Its members aren't. Countless supporters have had their children "accidently" shot each other. Happens all the time, thanks to NRA's gun-frienldy promotions methods.

Dude, Bdon at least tried to provide some decent arguments...

Your "extreme examples" provided nothing to answer my questions, or even argued anything tbh. I didn't even insinuate to ban guns.

And I don't even know how to respond to these "how many mass shooters are NRA members". What kond of logic is that?

You are obviously not even trying to comprehend the issue.

Your "extreme examples" provided nothing to answer my questions, or even argued anything tbh. I didn't even insinuate to ban guns.

And I don't even know how to respond to these "how many mass shooters are NRA members". What kond of logic is that?

I answered your question directly.

Bad people and situations are always going to be there no matter what you do, which I why I went with the most extreme example because even the most extreme example (banning guns) won't stop criminals from having guns. Best to be prepared.

The "how many mass shooters are NRA members" was in response to Generations stating that NRA Members are crazy ppl. I think the crazy ppl are the ones doing the mass shootings. Maybe his definition of crazy is different.

I answered your question directly.

Bad people and situations are always going to be there no matter what you do. Best to be prepared.

The "how many mass shooters are NRA members" was in response to Generations stating that NRA Members are crazy ppl. I think the crazy ppl are the ones doing the mass shootings. Maybe his definition of crazy is different.

So aslong as you're not shooting massive amount of people you can't be possibly crazy?

Okay. :|

Archived