"TNA: Bi-Polar?" - Lance Storm

Donjyoâ„¢

[quote]Originally Posted by Lance Storm
TNA: BIPOLAR?

I watched all three hours of TNA Impact this week. I watched the regular 2-hour Impact as well as the 1-hour Global Impact that followed. When I was done with my marathon of TNA watching I was left in a state of disbelief. I can’t figure out how it is possible that the same company produced both shows. How can the same people be behind such an amazing great show and one that is so mind bogglingly stupid.

Global Impact was fantastic. Everyone and everything on the show got over. This show treated the sport of pro-wrestling like it was a sport and everyone on the show could be taken seriously and in the end had credibility. There was only the one match on the show but it was great. Two top guys competed to see who the better man was, and the better man won decisively. The clips from other matches made me want to see more and everyone who spoke sounded intelligent and professional, which gave credibility and importance to what they did. If I told someone I was a pro-wrestler and they weren’t sure what I meant, I could show them this show to explain pro-wrestling and be proud of my chosen profession. If I had never seen or heard of TNA before this show it would be my favourite company and I would order every PPV they produced in a heartbeat after the way TNA came off on this show.

In contrast to that if I told someone I was a pro-wrestler and showed them this week’s regular Impact show as an example, I would be embarrassed and want to put a paper bag over my head and slit my wrists. The Shark Boy stuff over shadowed all the hard work of those who wrestled on the show and TNA has once again regained the crown as the biggest disgrace in wrestling history after WWE’s brief lead when Hornswoggle ran through the spray painted hole in the wall.

Let’s be honest, comedy can be a fun part of the show. Booker and Goldust at the Movies were funny. E and C were hilarious, but the Shark Boy segments this week on Impact were stupid, insulting, and perhaps more importantly extremely bad for business. It’s the bad for business part of things that drives me crazy with TNA. If they just did stupid comedy segments on their show I could stomach it, but segments like this have far wider ramifications and no one seems able to get their head out of their @$$ long enough it realize it.

Let’s look at the fact that TNA spent approximately 7 minutes of airtime on the Shark Boy skits. That is more airtime than was given to any of the matches on the show outside of the main event, and is actually 16% of the total airtime on the show. 16% of the show was spent on a ‘jobber comedy’ character that does not appear on PPV, or draw a dime of revenue for the company. The skits were insultingly stupid and undermined the credibility of every person who took part in them. At least the Hornswoggle thing only made a midget comedy character and a guy who was (at the time) quitting, look stupid. TNA parades ½ their roster through these imbecilic segments.

If that isn’t bad enough, and this is where the short sightedness of the creative team shows through, by doing this stupid injury angle gimmick with Shark Boy they are sabotaging their own company by wasting potential money drawing angles on this comedy character. How can TNA book an injury angle with anyone else on the show when Shark Boy comes to the ring in a near body cast and on crutches? The spirit of 76, never say die baby face character, is a proven money draw, when done properly. Tommy Dreamer and Dusty Rhodes used it many times and it always got over. TNA can’t use it now because they wasted it on a comedy skit. If Christian or Kurt Angle wants to play up an injury and come out bandaged up to get over the violence of their feud, they can’t, Shark Boy already did it.

Having Shark Boy working “against Doctor’s orders” kills another great angle. Suppose they wanted to keep Gail Kim and Awesome Kong apart for a while. One of the easiest means to do so would be to play up Gail’s concussion and have her unable to get medical clearance to wrestle. That angle can no longer be used because TNA booked Shark Boy when he was seriously injured simply because Shark Boy asked to. They actually stated the Shark Boy was wrestling against Doctor's orders. So that’s another potential angle flushed down the toilet.

Granted TNA will likely still use these types of angles despite them not making sense any longer, because having segments on the show that contradict each other is a TNA staple. How many times have we seen wrestlers in TNA demanding matches that they don’t’ get, and complaining that they can’t get enough airtime? I’ve seen Robert Roode do it, Samoa Joe do it, Chris Harris does it, to name just a few. They constantly complain, asking what a guy has to do to get the matches he wants. Oddly enough the near dead Shark Boy is wrestling every week and the explanation given as to why he is wrestling, despite being near death each week is that, “Shark Boy demanded the match”. Last week he demanded a match with a top contender and got a match with Tomko. How is it that an undercard nobody who can’t even get medical clearance is being given what he demands while other top stars are ignored by TNA management? This company makes no sense at all, at least not in this hemisphere. In Japan on the other hand, they are fantastic.

Yours in utter confusion,
Lance Storm[/quote]

Storm really knows his stuff. He made some great points. The Sharkboy thing does kill a lot. Gail Kim looks bad as she reputures a breast and tehy sya she can't compete so she doesn't yet shark boy broke lord who what and he competes every week. Storm is really smart on buisness, I'm going to deffinately be reading his blogs more.

[quote name='Donjyoâ„¢' post='3637343' date='Jan 23 2008, 02:40 PM'][quote]Originally Posted by Lance Storm

I watched all three hours of TNA Impact this week. I watched the regular 2-hour Impact as well as the 1-hour Global Impact that followed. When I was done with my marathon of TNA watching I was left in a state of disbelief. I can’t figure out how it is possible that the same company produced both shows. How can the same people be behind such an amazing great show and one that is so mind bogglingly stupid.

Global Impact was fantastic. Everyone and everything on the show got over. This show treated the sport of pro-wrestling like it was a sport and everyone on the show could be taken seriously and in the end had credibility. There was only the one match on the show but it was great. Two top guys competed to see who the better man was, and the better man won decisively. The clips from other matches made me want to see more and everyone who spoke sounded intelligent and professional, which gave credibility and importance to what they did. If I told someone I was a pro-wrestler and they weren’t sure what I meant, I could show them this show to explain pro-wrestling and be proud of my chosen profession. If I had never seen or heard of TNA before this show it would be my favourite company and I would order every PPV they produced in a heartbeat after the way TNA came off on this show.

In contrast to that if I told someone I was a pro-wrestler and showed them this week’s regular Impact show as an example, I would be embarrassed and want to put a paper bag over my head and slit my wrists. The Shark Boy stuff over shadowed all the hard work of those who wrestled on the show and TNA has once again regained the crown as the biggest disgrace in wrestling history after WWE’s brief lead when Hornswoggle ran through the spray painted hole in the wall.

Let’s be honest, comedy can be a fun part of the show. Booker and Goldust at the Movies were funny. E and C were hilarious, but the Shark Boy segments this week on Impact were stupid, insulting, and perhaps more importantly extremely bad for business. It’s the bad for business part of things that drives me crazy with TNA. If they just did stupid comedy segments on their show I could stomach it, but segments like this have far wider ramifications and no one seems able to get their head out of their @$$ long enough it realize it.

Let’s look at the fact that TNA spent approximately 7 minutes of airtime on the Shark Boy skits. That is more airtime than was given to any of the matches on the show outside of the main event, and is actually 16% of the total airtime on the show. 16% of the show was spent on a ‘jobber comedy’ character that does not appear on PPV, or draw a dime of revenue for the company. The skits were insultingly stupid and undermined the credibility of every person who took part in them. At least the Hornswoggle thing only made a midget comedy character and a guy who was (at the time) quitting, look stupid. TNA parades ½ their roster through these imbecilic segments.

If that isn’t bad enough, and this is where the short sightedness of the creative team shows through, by doing this stupid injury angle gimmick with Shark Boy they are sabotaging their own company by wasting potential money drawing angles on this comedy character. How can TNA book an injury angle with anyone else on the show when Shark Boy comes to the ring in a near body cast and on crutches? The spirit of 76, never say die baby face character, is a proven money draw, when done properly. Tommy Dreamer and Dusty Rhodes used it many times and it always got over. TNA can’t use it now because they wasted it on a comedy skit. If Christian or Kurt Angle wants to play up an injury and come out bandaged up to get over the violence of their feud, they can’t, Shark Boy already did it.

Having Shark Boy working “against Doctor’s orders” kills another great angle. Suppose they wanted to keep Gail Kim and Awesome Kong apart for a while. One of the easiest means to do so would be to play up Gail’s concussion and have her unable to get medical clearance to wrestle. That angle can no longer be used because TNA booked Shark Boy when he was seriously injured simply because Shark Boy asked to. They actually stated the Shark Boy was wrestling against Doctor's orders. So that’s another potential angle flushed down the toilet.

Granted TNA will likely still use these types of angles despite them not making sense any longer, because having segments on the show that contradict each other is a TNA staple. How many times have we seen wrestlers in TNA demanding matches that they don’t’ get, and complaining that they can’t get enough airtime? I’ve seen Robert Roode do it, Samoa Joe do it, Chris Harris does it, to name just a few. They constantly complain, asking what a guy has to do to get the matches he wants. Oddly enough the near dead Shark Boy is wrestling every week and the explanation given as to why he is wrestling, despite being near death each week is that, “Shark Boy demanded the match”. Last week he demanded a match with a top contender and got a match with Tomko. How is it that an undercard nobody who can’t even get medical clearance is being given what he demands while other top stars are ignored by TNA management? This company makes no sense at all, at least not in this hemisphere. In Japan on the other hand, they are fantastic.

Lance Storm[/quote]
[/quote]

I agree with Lance, TNA has become absolutely ridiculous lately with the stupid shark boy angle and I wanna add how stupid the Robert Roode/Traci Brooks/ Peyton whatever her last name is angle and I wanna add that "Global impact" was a waste in Television space since this is the only way New Japan Pro Wrestling would get a chance to get TV time here in America with one of its top talents jobbing to Kurt Angle. In short TNA is losing steam....BADLY. >:(

[quote name='Legend_Killer_Kenny_H21' post='3638041' date='Jan 23 2008, 04:39 PM'][quote name='Donjyoâ„¢' post='3637343' date='Jan 23 2008, 02:40 PM'][quote]Originally Posted by Lance Storm

Lance Storm[/quote]
[/quote]

I agree with Lance, TNA has become absolutely ridiculous lately with the stupid shark boy angle and I wanna add how stupid the Robert Roode/Traci Brooks/ Peyton whatever her last name is angle and I wanna add that "Global impact" was a waste in Television space since this is the only way New Japan Pro Wrestling would get a chance to get TV time here in America with one of its top talents jobbing to Kurt Angle. In short TNA is losing steam....BADLY. >:(
[/quote]
"Jobbing" is such an over-used word. That match was not Nagata jobbing to Angle. That match was Nagata and Angle pulling out a great match, with Angle coming out on top.

While I enjoy and agree with everything Lance has to say about a lot of things, If he knows that TNA sucks why does he continue to watch it especially after he claims to week in and week out "boycott" them? I made a promise to myself when Vince Russo came back to book TNA two years ago that I wouldn't watch it anymore and I haven't with the exception of that Global IMPACT last week and if Lance hates TNA that much he should do the same and drop some coin on good stuff like Indies and Japan and not give TNA the time of day.

I will withold my hatred for Lance Storm. I found TNA Impact! to actually be a good show this week. Not perfect, but as good show. For him to say the whole show sucked because of 2 promos lasting about 5 minutes long put together ruined the whole 2 hour show, just goes to show him that Storm probably failed some math classes in school.

[quote name='ZebFAN06' post='3638531' date='Jan 23 2008, 05:44 PM']I will withold my hatred for Lance Storm. I found TNA Impact! to actually be a good show this week. Not perfect, but as good show. For him to say the whole show sucked because of 2 promos lasting about 5 minutes long put together ruined the whole 2 hour show, just goes to show him that Storm probably failed some math classes in school.[/quote]
:lol: Good ol' Storm. At least he wasn't as harsh as usual...?

I didn't really think the show sucked to be honest... The Sharkboy segments where pretty amusing to me. The main event was a pretty good match. I'd have to say that they should book Roode against someone other than Sonjay Dutt though. The rest of the show wasn't half bad though...

Lance Storm is awesome. Every time I read one of his rants, I like the guy more and more. I don't think TNA is downright terrible...but the booking really is pure crap. If they'd simply fire Russo and whoever else is destroying the show's credibility, the problem would resolve itself almost instantly.

[quote name='IndyMark' post='3638259' date='Jan 23 2008, 03:08 PM']While I enjoy and agree with everything Lance has to say about a lot of things, If he knows that TNA sucks why does he continue to watch it especially after he claims to week in and week out "boycott" them? I made a promise to myself when Vince Russo came back to book TNA two years ago that I wouldn't watch it anymore and I haven't with the exception of that Global IMPACT last week and if Lance hates TNA that much he should do the same and drop some coin on good stuff like Indies and Japan and not give TNA the time of day.[/quote]
he did boycott tna during Christmas and he respects and and is probably friends with most the talent in tna and doesnt want them to be used badly in tna thats why he gives it the time of day

[quote name='Generations' post='3640643' date='Jan 23 2008, 10:08 PM']Lance Storm is awesome. Every time I read one of his rants, I like the guy more and more. I don't think TNA is downright terrible...but the booking really is pure crap. If they'd simply fire Russo and whoever else is destroying the show's credibility, the problem would resolve itself almost instantly.[/quote]
^^ yea they could do better

nice read thanks for posting he acctually cemented a point i made a few weeks back in regards to the whole shark boy angle, noe dutch mantell supposedly booked this angle as a shot at wwe in regards to their superstars getting injured all the time and of course when ever something is done maliciously it will back fire so TNA really shot them selves in the foot here and none of the blame should be directed at shark boy as a preformer hes running with what he's being given but the booking is just oo shakey and as a fan i want TNA to do well to elevate the competition

It wasn't as bad as he said it was TBH, I mean, on one hand you have the whole sharkboy that segments were so stupid that I didn't watch them, and Judging by this weeks

"Sharkboy 3:16"

they won't get any better.

However, the main Even was top stuff, and when it boiled down to just AJ and christian, it was one of the best TNA matches in some time, what with AJ styles actually attempting the spiral tap for the 3'rd time in 12 months and some good backward and foward action, It was good enough to download. [i](yes its legal....I think)[/i]

If i can be serious for a moment Lance Storm is a genius TNA should hire him for there creative team Lance doesnt bad mouth TNA he just wants them to succeed harsh crticism is key

although TNA has been doing better then WWE for awhile in my opinion and i kind of find those Shark Boy Promos funny he can do an impersonation of Austin dead on which is impressive

Archived