my Paranormal Activity rant

♥Taylor♥ Melo

[center]Ok, I see alot of people posting, mostly on IMDb, how bad Paranormal Activity is. Personally i really enjoyed it and i think they worked wonders with their tiny budget of $15,000 and it did scare me, so i don't understand how these people find it bad, do they go into the movie expecting more because of reviews? Do people go and see it to prove that a movie cant scare them? i don't know... There were people on multiple websites saying they left after 20-30 minutes and they were calling it the worst horror movie ever, anyone who has seen the movie would know that nothing happens in the first 20 minutes, so if they left 20/30 mins into the movie they cant possibly have a fair opinion... The first half of the movie is mostly character exposition, meeting the characters and establishing that there is a demon after this chic. I just don't get it.

Well that's my rant, post any thoughts if you agree or think i'm full of :censored: let me know.[/center]

I watched it online since I wasn't going to pay money to see that shit. How can I say this. The movie was bad. The acting was bad. The story was bad. The ending with her jumping at the camera was bad and cheap. The Blair Witch had a lesser budget and it still did a more BELIEVABLE movie where as PA didn't. I didn't have that feeling that it was real at all. I can watch REC or The Blair Witch to this day and still think at certain moments think that the movie was actually real. There was nothing good about PA. None of the scene were scary. If you thought it was scary I'm sorry but your a pansy. I mean the only "scary" parts of the film was her standing over the bed for a few hours and the damn bedroom door closing. WOW. So scary right? Also the whole plot point around the Demon was stupid. Just a lazy way to explain the paranormal shit going on and why they couldn't leave the house.

The bottom line is for a movie that played upon the idea that what you were watching was real, they did a pretty shitty job at it. Go watch REC or The Blair Witch Project to see how to make a movie believable horror film on a low budget.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/paranormal_activity/

F**k the haters. I loved the movie. It wasn't as good as Blair Witch, but it was good. For people with great imaginations, it will be win.

And Saint, Poughkeepsie Tapes was better than Paranormal Activity. :)

Imo I think it's one of them cases for me personally when, I see reviews for it and they all say it's bad, but I shrug it off and watch it anyway and it actually IS bad :lol:.

I did that with The Ring and The Ring II (The American re-makes). EVERYONE was trashing them calling them the worse movies ever and shit, but I thought i'd watch them anyway and watched The Ring and realised it WAS crap. Then, when The Ring 2 came onto Television I watched it, despite being bored to tears with the first and yet again...it sucked.

No doubt this movie will be the same. I wanna see it, as with 2012, yet they both have horrible reviews. HOPEFULLY they prove me wrong and I like them (like I do the SAW Series with is usually reviewed negatively) but I get a feeling with Paranormal Activity that it IS bad.

As a paranormal buff, I very much liked the movie because it was an accurate portrayal of a demonic haunting, just turned up to eleven. And I also enjoyed it because of the likeable main characters and the realistic feel. But for a very thurough review, check this out [Warning: Over 40 minuets long, but very informative about the movie and the horror genre in general]

[url="http://www.spoonyexperiment.com/?s=Paranormal+Activity&submit=Find"]Last video near the bottom.[/url]

[quote name='KBC' date='11 December 2009 - 04:37 PM' timestamp='1260571076' post='6915372']
Imo I think it's one of them cases for me personally when, I see reviews for it and they all say it's bad, but I shrug it off and watch it anyway and it actually IS bad :lol:.

I did that with The Ring and The Ring II (The American re-makes). EVERYONE was trashing them calling them the worse movies ever and shit, but I thought i'd watch them anyway and watched The Ring and realised it WAS crap. Then, when The Ring 2 came onto Television I watched it, despite being bored to tears with the first and yet again...it sucked.

No doubt this movie will be the same. I wanna see it, as with 2012, yet they both have horrible reviews. HOPEFULLY they prove me wrong and I like them (like I do the SAW Series with is usually reviewed negatively) but I get a feeling with Paranormal Activity that it IS bad.
[/quote]
But Paranormal Activity hasn't gotten bad reviews from critics...

[quote name='Pherby' date='11 December 2009 - 06:51 PM' timestamp='1260579064' post='6915710']
its a *censored*ing A+ film

i dont get y people hate cloverfield too, i loved cloverfield
[/quote]

I hated cloverfield.

[quote name='The Ferg' date='11 December 2009 - 07:45 PM' timestamp='1260582334' post='6915833']
[quote name='KBC' date='11 December 2009 - 04:37 PM' timestamp='1260571076' post='6915372']

[/quote]
[/quote]

[url="http://movies.nytimes.com/2009/10/09/movies/09paranormal.html?ref=movies"]http://movies.nytimes.com/2009/10/09/movies/09paranormal.html?ref=movies[/url]

[url="http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Calendar/Film?Film=oid%3A876008"]http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Calendar/Film?Film=oid%3A876008[/url]

[quote]Don't believe the hype: Paranormal Activity may be a lot of things, but the words "scary" and "movie" are not among them. It is instead nothing more or less than an excruciatingly tedious YouTube gag cleverly marketed to go viral in the broadest and most box-office-friendly way. (On the other hand, Paramount's midnight-screening, street-team hype machine is to be congratulated for pulling such a fast one on both audiences and critics alike. Who says you can't have your shit and eat it too?) Like The Blair Witch Project, its far creepier antecedent, Paranormal Activity purports to exist as actual found footage – the opening text says it was discovered by the San Diego Police Department – but that's no excuse for foisting a poorly acted (whoops! make that "realistic"), shoddily conceived, anti-art-directed nonstarter that pays off only in its final 10 seconds on a gullible moviegoing public that only wants to have its collective hair raised. At 96 minutes, it's at least 90 minutes too long, and most damning of all, it's just plain dull. What little there is of a plot hangs on the irritatingly senseless, often just plain dopey suburban couple of Katie (Featherston) and Micah (Sloat). Plagued by mysterious thuds in the night, Micah invests in some pricey video- and sound-recording gear and begins taping the couple as they sleep. Precious little ensues until those final 10 seconds, and even those will arrive as no surprise to anyone who ever bothered to open one of those faddish "shocker" e-mails of a few years back (you know, the ones that guided you to a website featuring some random scene of pastoral beauty which dawdled on forever until suddenly a loud noise and a scary face blasted onto your monitor and freaked your adrenals into overdrive). Yeah, Paranormal Activity is exactly like that but without the one-trick pony grazing in the verdant field. It'd be laughable if it weren't such a flagrant "*censored* you" to fans of genuine horror cinema. On a hunch, I broke out my Hellboy Ouija board post-screening and very politely asked the spirits, "WTF?" To my surprise, the planchette did indeed begin to creep across the board, but the message was always the same: "s … u … c … k … e … r." [/quote]

You can suck my dick now. ;)

[quote name='Ernez' date='12 December 2009 - 02:03 AM' timestamp='1260583412' post='6915886']
[quote name='Pherby' date='11 December 2009 - 06:51 PM' timestamp='1260579064' post='6915710']
its a *censored*ing A+ film

i dont get y people hate cloverfield too, i loved cloverfield
[/quote]

I hated cloverfield.
[/quote]
oh no u didnt

y did u hate it ?

[quote name='2Pac_Enter2014' date='12 December 2009 - 08:32 AM' timestamp='1260624767' post='6916990']
Yea Cloverfield was horrible. The reason why is because the shaking of the camera was annoying and the "alien" didn't appear until like the end of the movie.
[/quote]
It's funny you say that... because you saw him through the whole *censored*ing movie. The reason they didn't show all of the monster was because they were building suspense. You'd see what he did to the city and you'd see bits and pieces of the monster. You'd speculate about what it would look like, until the end.

[quote name='Anti-Säint' date='12 December 2009 - 12:25 AM' timestamp='1260599157' post='6916449']
[quote name='The Ferg' date='11 December 2009 - 07:45 PM' timestamp='1260582334' post='6915833']

[/quote]
[/quote]

[url="http://movies.nytimes.com/2009/10/09/movies/09paranormal.html?ref=movies"]http://movies.nytimes.com/2009/10/09/movies/09paranormal.html?ref=movies[/url]

[url="http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Calendar/Film?Film=oid%3A876008"]http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Calendar/Film?Film=oid%3A876008[/url]

[quote]Don't believe the hype: Paranormal Activity may be a lot of things, but the words "scary" and "movie" are not among them. It is instead nothing more or less than an excruciatingly tedious YouTube gag cleverly marketed to go viral in the broadest and most box-office-friendly way. (On the other hand, Paramount's midnight-screening, street-team hype machine is to be congratulated for pulling such a fast one on both audiences and critics alike. Who says you can't have your shit and eat it too?) Like The Blair Witch Project, its far creepier antecedent, Paranormal Activity purports to exist as actual found footage – the opening text says it was discovered by the San Diego Police Department – but that's no excuse for foisting a poorly acted (whoops! make that "realistic"), shoddily conceived, anti-art-directed nonstarter that pays off only in its final 10 seconds on a gullible moviegoing public that only wants to have its collective hair raised. At 96 minutes, it's at least 90 minutes too long, and most damning of all, it's just plain dull. What little there is of a plot hangs on the irritatingly senseless, often just plain dopey suburban couple of Katie (Featherston) and Micah (Sloat). Plagued by mysterious thuds in the night, Micah invests in some pricey video- and sound-recording gear and begins taping the couple as they sleep. Precious little ensues until those final 10 seconds, and even those will arrive as no surprise to anyone who ever bothered to open one of those faddish "shocker" e-mails of a few years back (you know, the ones that guided you to a website featuring some random scene of pastoral beauty which dawdled on forever until suddenly a loud noise and a scary face blasted onto your monitor and freaked your adrenals into overdrive). Yeah, Paranormal Activity is exactly like that but without the one-trick pony grazing in the verdant field. It'd be laughable if it weren't such a flagrant "*censored* you" to fans of genuine horror cinema. On a hunch, I broke out my Hellboy Ouija board post-screening and very politely asked the spirits, "WTF?" To my surprise, the planchette did indeed begin to creep across the board, but the message was always the same: "s … u … c … k … e … r." [/quote]

[/quote]
(*censored* you)
tl;dr, but I didn't say EVERY critic liked it. That's why RottenTomatoes gave it a 82%.

[quote name='The Ferg' date='12 December 2009 - 09:48 PM' timestamp='1260676102' post='6918991']
[quote name='Anti-Säint' date='12 December 2009 - 12:25 AM' timestamp='1260599157' post='6916449']

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
(*censored* you)
tl;dr, but I didn't say EVERY critic liked it. That's why RottenTomatoes gave it a 82%.
[/quote]

It has a 68 at Metacritic. I believe that more than anything else.

[quote name='Anti-Säint' date='12 December 2009 - 10:23 PM' timestamp='1260678214' post='6919065']
[quote name='The Ferg' date='12 December 2009 - 09:48 PM' timestamp='1260676102' post='6918991']

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
(*censored* you)
[/quote]

It has a 68 at Metacritic. I believe that more than anything else.
[/quote]
Ok, I disagree, but we're not gonna get anywhere debating whether RottenTomatoes or Metacritic is better...

Archived