Classic Edge moveset

Ravnos

If you want, start with Chavo Guerrero or Booker T's auto setting to get better grapples (I just really hate the mercy-game grapple thing :P).

This set is for Edge back when he started out in the E, his early stages.

[b]Standard Actions[/b]
Ring in -- Slide into
Ring out -- One Handstand Ringout
Taunts -- Edge 3 / Shouting / Charlie Haas 1 / Batista 3
Fighting stance -- Wrestling 1
Walking & Running are Normal

Standing
[b]Strike attacks[/b]
Jump Spin Back Kick (yes, really, he even knocked down Godfather with it) / Toe Kick 1 / Outlaw punches 1 / Elbow smash 1 / Dropkick 2 / Back chop 4

[b]Clean Grapple[/b]
Arm Drag 3 / Small package 1 / Headlock 1 / DDT 14 / Wrist Clutch & Arm Wrench

[b]Submission grapple[/b]
Hammerlock / Abominal Stretch 3 / Headlock 4 / Arm Lock 1 / Armbar 5

[b]<Category 1> Speed <Moves 1> Speed[/b]
Front Dropkick 4 / Neckbreaker 10 / DDT 5 / Step Up Enzuigiri / Suplex 12

[b]<Category 2> Technical <Moves 2> Technical[/b]
Jumping Armbreaker / Edge O'Matic 1 / Half Nelson Face Buster / Spinebuster 3 / Suplex 8

[b]<Category 3> Old School <Moves 3> Old School[/b]
Back chop 6 / Russian leg Sweep 1 / Scoop slam 5 / Hurracanrana 8 / Sidewalk slam 1

[b]Grapple attack[/b]
Grapple elbow strike 1 / grapple elbow strike 1 / Grapple punch 1

[b]Grapple from Behind[/b]
Forearm smash / Edge O'Matic 2 / DDT 17 / Elbow to back of Head 2 / Back side slam 2
[b]Groggy grapple from behind[/b]
Sleeper hold 4 / Hopping sunset Flip 2 / Back suplex 6 / Electric Chair Drop / School boy pin 2

[b]Ground attacks[/b]
Undertaker Stomp / Leg drop 2 / Elbow Drop 1

Ground grapple moves
[b]Upper ground[/b]
Neck Snap / Mounted punching 1 or 4 / Bow Backbreaker
[b]Lower ground[/b]
Death Lock / Bow & Arrow 2 / Stomping Combo

[b]Corner attacks[/b]
Turnbuckle dropkick 1 / Running shoulder attack 1 / Knee attack 1

[b]Corner grapple moves[/b]
10 Punch / Superplex 2 / Arm Drag 7 / Super Hurracanrana / Foot Choke 1

[b]Lower corner grapple move[/b]: Mudhole stomping

[b]Corner grapple from Behind[/b]
Turnbuckle smash / Dropkick & schoolboy Pin / Neckbreaker 13 / Lucha DDT / Toss into Ring Post

[b]Rope - Groggy on Ropes[/b]
Groin Shaker

[b]Rope - Rebound attacks[/b]
Shoulder block 2 / Double axe handle 5 / Vaulting Body press 2

[b]Rope - Diving out of Ring Attack[/b]
Vaulting Body Press 1 (earliest) or Dive Through Ropes (later)

[b]Diving vs. Standing opponent[/b]
Missile Dropkick / Diving Cross Body Pin 1 or Diving Spear

[b]Diving vs. downed opponent[/b]
Knee drop 1 / Diving elbow / Diving Elbow Drop

[b]Dash - attack[/b]
Clothesline 13 / Spinning wheel kick 2

[b]Dash - Running Grapple[/b]
Headscissor Takedown 2 / Spear 2

[b]Dash - Rear Techniques[/b]
Bulldog 6 / Chop block

[b]Dash - Running Ground attack[/b]
Elbow drop 5 / Dropkick to knee 3

[b]Dash - Counter Attack[/b]
Arm Drag 5 or Drop toe Hold / Back Body Drop 2 / Flapjack 3

[b]Tag Team standing[/b]
Double beat Head / Double DDT / Double Dropkick / Double Facecrusher / Double suplex

[b]Tag Team corner[/b]
Groin Press / Body attack / Sidewalk & Reverse DDT / High Angle Superplex / Death Device

[b]Special - Finishers[/b]
Black Out (original Downward Spiral) or Complete Shot (later Downward spiral)
Gordbuster 1

[b]Special - Favorites[/b]
Spear 2
Half Nelson Face Buster
Flapjack 3

[b]Chair Finishers[/b]
DDT 23
DDT 23

[b]Combination Attack[/b]
Snap Jab
Snap Jab
Smash Right Punch

The spear wasn't his finisher back then. It wasn't till a few years after he came in that the spear became the big thing with him. Hell, he did it off the second rope a couple times and it was just part of gaining momentum. When he started out he was big on the Electric Chair (but mainly in tag matches), the Spiral, and the falling faceplant suplex (gordbuster)//two suplexes + gordbuster. Later, he fell away from doing that when Christian picked up on doing the 2 suplex + gordbuster combo.

The Brood changed things up like that a lot. The same way that Gangrel did the Implant DDT, and Christian's Unprettier move was considered an "Impaler". Then the Implant DDT became the "Impaler", and then Edge's "Edgecution", and now the "Concussion on Delivery".

This set, however, is based mainly on pre-Brood Edge.

[quote name='ThreeG' post='122777' date='Apr 25 2006, 11:06 AM']When did he do the Reverse DDT?[/quote]

He did that a number of times, usually during a momentum swing. This was before Christian caught on to using his version of a reverse DDT. As I noted before, the 3 guys who went on to make up The Brood, being Gangrel and Christian and Edge, had a little confusion with their sets when they formed, and they had to weed out the moves the fans would become familiar to them using. Gangrel started out doing the suplex series, and it caught on with Edge, and then Christian used two & a faceplant suplex on TAKA in his debut singles match where he won the lightheavyweight championship. JR took note of this and after that it became a regular piece of Christian's offense. That's just one example, there's other stuff like electric chairs and sideslams and the inverted DDT (Gangrel used this a couple times also) and the Implant DDT/Impaler/Unprettier mess. :P

wouldn't the novacain be just as viable solution for the downward spiral. I wasn't an advant fan back then, but (and i could be wrong on this) doesn't the novacain hookup more like the downward spiral .. 'cept the opponents arm would have to be higher and not across the midsection.

Not entirely positive on it though ..

Novacain hooks over the shoulder and sweep the back of the leg. It is from the same side as the Spiral, nothing more. The complete shot grabs the side of the head with the left arm and the back (under the arm) from the other side, and falls back with force. The earliest Downward Spiral was exactly the Black Out. I only have it on a couple of videos, so I wouldn't be able to help you find it other than to suggest Summerslam 1997, Edge & Sable vs. Mero & Jacqueline. The Downward Spiral was a swift one-arm modified inverted STO move. Edge hooked his right arm under his opponent's right arm, with his hand against the left side of their head. As soon as that motion was completed, he dropped down flat on his back at a fairly high velocity, planting his opponent into the mat. Hence the Black Out is my pick. Over time, he changed it to a complete shot style move. I'll add that as an alternative I suppose.

Here's a link to a clip of the later one, when E & C got under way...
[url="http://wrestlingencyclopedia.com/99slamclips.html"]http://wrestlingencyclopedia.com/99slamclips.html[/url]

Now .. i remember the Downward Spiral as it is in the clip. That's why I suggest the Novacain... in the blackout the arm of the opponent gets hooked on the head and neck of the giver (in this case, edge) .. however in the novacain the opponents arm drapes across the midsection. Neither really matches the clip exactly .. so either would work. Blackout has the force of the move, novacain lacks the intensity. Though, you did say that's how he hooked it (blackout style) earlier on .. so i'll take your word for it.

The bigger question is to why they removed a perfectly good move and replaced it with three variations .. might as well have just left it in.

• 3 years later...

Archived