A question about Kurt Angle

TN./Kennedy

During the promos to build hype for the Christian Cage vs Kurt Angle match for the NWA world title at Against All Odds, they said that kurt angle is on a mission (or whatever) to be the only man to hold every major world title of this generation. so my question is how can he be the only man to hold every major world title of this generation without ever holding the ECW title. I mean i guees that counts a a major world title?

could someone answer this for me?

If he'd stayed with WWE longer he'd have been ECW World champ at Summerslam if it weren't for his injuries and his idiocy in leaving. Until he gets that belt, he'll never have held all major World titles. For some reason Japanese titles don't count.

[quote name='T Joyal' post='1365414' date='Feb 16 2007, 08:53 PM']was kurt ever wcw champ or is that not a major title[/quote]
He held the WCW title during the Invasion. I think he won it from The Rock when Rock took it off Booker.

Anyway I wouldn't consider the ECW title anywhere near major yet. In the future possibly but not right now.

[quote name='Dazz' post='1365593' date='Feb 17 2007, 03:18 AM']If he'd stayed with WWE longer he'd have been ECW World champ at Summerslam if it weren't for his injuries and his idiocy in leaving. Until he gets that belt, he'll never have held all major World titles. For some reason Japanese titles don't count.[/quote]

Sadly, Japanese titles don't count as major World titles from a mark's perspective either in WWE or TNA. The ECW World Title has never been a major World title.

[quote name='RJT' post='1367903' date='Feb 17 2007, 10:42 AM']The major titles are the WWE Title, WCW (World Heavyweight) Title and the NWA World Heavyweight Title.[/quote]
That is because they are the main title for each company. WWE=WWE (Keyword is WWE) WCW=WCW (Again keyword is WCW) NWA=TNA (TNA used to be NWA from my understanding)

[quote]Angle did hold the WCW Title.
He was one of the only WWE Superstars to hold it.[/quote]

He wasnt the WCW champ since WCW was out ofd business by the time he got the title. He can only be called WCW champ if he worked for WCW and since at the time WCW was absorbed by the WWF at that time then it doesnt count.

[quote name='Mary' post='1369641' date='Feb 17 2007, 03:12 PM'][quote]Angle did hold the WCW Title.
He was one of the only WWE Superstars to hold it.[/quote]

He wasnt the WCW champ since WCW was out ofd business by the time he got the title. He can only be called WCW champ if he worked for WCW and since at the time WCW was absorbed by the WWF at that time then it doesnt count.
[/quote]
Not working for WCW doesn't mean jack. The title held the same amount of prestige and meaning it always had being that Booker T still held it when it was brought in. Not like the ECW title where it was magically there after RVD became WWE Champion.

[quote]Did noone read "of this generation."? WCW isn't around anymore, neither is their title. The WCW argument is then mute.[/quote]
Good point. =P

Does count as the WCW World title since WWE themselves called it that until Jericho unified both belts at Unforgiven 2001, thats why it says Kurt, The Rock and Jericho were both WCW World champions even if they weren't in the company originally to have it unlike the other holders of such a title.

Also I believe the ECW World title was given World title status in 96 or something around that time, hence why it was one of the Big Three titles to hold in North America (since the NWA didn't count then as the entity wasn't really recognised as a major promoter and was just controlling a handful of small indy feds).

[quote]Does count as the WCW World title since WWE themselves called it that until Jericho unified both belts at Unforgiven 2001[/quote]

Just cuz the WWF still called it that doesn't mean a damn thing...when the WWF bought WCW, WCW ceased being a seperate company thus meaning that the title stopped being the WCW world title.

wcw 1988 nwa world heavy weight championship up to 1991.... then wcw branched away from nwa in 1993 made their own world title as wcw world heavyweight championship then wwe bought wcw out of their misery (thanks to mr russo) finally at last wwe retconned and started their own world heavyweight title from wcw died called the wwe world heavyweight championship.

wwe is not allowed to reference anything from nwa because the nwa world title is trademarked. wwe has to edit it out or if they down wwe be in deep water with the law. that title you see christan wearing today is the same title held by flair and steamboat in wcw 80's and the funks,race,thezs, dusty rhodes so many to name held the title in the nwa.

the wwe version is simply a third incarnation of the nwa title today which you see on smackdown from bastista. triple h is the first to wear that title in it's record which began in aug 2002.

wcw first world title started in 1991 which ric flair is it's first title holder on it's record till right up to 2001 the title last held by chris jericho in wwf at the time before it became unified with the wwf title.

[quote]Also I believe the ECW World title was given World title status in 96 or something around that time, hence why it was one of the Big Three titles to hold in North America (since the NWA didn't count then as the entity wasn't really recognised as a major promoter and was just controlling a handful of small indy feds).[/quote]ECW wasn't given world title status until a little less than a year before it was folded. I think it hardly counts as a world title then.

[quote]that title you see christan wearing today is the same title held by flair and steamboat in wcw 80's and the funks,race,thezs, dusty rhodes so many to name held the title in the nwa[/quote]

I noticed yet again Jack Brisco is not mentioned although referred to as Dory Jr as the greatest NWA world champion. At least he knows that he wouldn't have as big a career w/out Sr having the Briscos job to his boys. Flair was also I believe the last to use that belt; Steamboat held the Big Gold Belt.

In my opinion the NWA lost their legacy of the belt when Jim Crockett bought the other major NWA territories in the mid 80s. Since then all champions whether it be Flair, Steamboat, and possibly Dusty's last refer to Smackdown's title.

In my opinion it doesn't matter if he wins the TNA title because he technically didn't win the WCW title when it mattered, when it was still a seperate entity from the WWE.

[quote name='D.A.N.' post='1365829' date='Feb 17 2007, 03:59 AM'][quote name='T Joyal' post='1365414' date='Feb 16 2007, 08:53 PM']was kurt ever wcw champ or is that not a major title[/quote]
He held the WCW title during the Invasion. I think he won it from The Rock when Rock took it off Booker.

Anyway I wouldn't consider the ECW title anywhere near major yet. In the future possibly but not right now.
[/quote]

oh yea i remember that appologys my mistake

[quote name='Dazz' post='1369718' date='Feb 17 2007, 04:21 PM']Also I believe the ECW World title was given World title status in 96 or something around that time, hence why it was one of the Big Three titles to hold in North America (since the NWA didn't count then as the entity wasn't really recognised as a major promoter and was just controlling a handful of small indy feds).[/quote]

Yea it there was an ECW title match in Japan giving it World title status.

[quote name='Dazz' post='1365593' date='Feb 17 2007, 03:18 AM']If he'd stayed with WWE longer he'd have been ECW World champ at Summerslam if it weren't for his idiocy in leaving.[/quote]

He was a physical wreck and downing enough painkillers to kill a horse just so he could handle the constant hectic travel schedule of WWE, so he goes to a company that not only pay him better but make him work a 10th of the time he did in WWE and he has the chance now to live a happy family life with his wife and kid instead of being on the road or travelling overseas for over 200 days of the year. Now considering that tell me who's the idiot!

[quote name='D.A.N.' post='1365829' date='Feb 17 2007, 03:59 AM'][quote name='T Joyal' post='1365414' date='Feb 16 2007, 08:53 PM']was kurt ever wcw champ or is that not a major title[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes exactly. And to be honest its not the original title, Rhino still has that (even though he said he burned it, which was a lie).

Archived