WWE Raw moving to Netflix (10 year contract for $5 billion)

Generations

Starting in January of next year (2025), Netflix will stream Raw exclusively. - Outside of the US, Netflix will also be home to all other WWE content, including Smackdown and PLEs. - How will people react to needing a Netflix subscription to watch their weekly WWE shows? A lot of people have cancelled Netflix in recent years. How will the price be affected for people who already pay for Netflix? This is a huge deal with a huge price tag. Whether people care about WWE or not, we're all gonna end up paying more for the service, to be sure.

The whole ordeal seems very messy and raises a lot of questions...but it's definitely a huge deal. Will the show still be three hours? Will it be ad-free? Will there still be a brand split? What will the rating be? Netflix has zero experience with live-streaming. How reliable will it be? Will the content change? Adult themes? Language? Blood? - With Raw off television, it will no longer have weekly television ratings. Smackdown will move to USA Network, and Fox will have nothing. Does Fox decide to sign another company? Does TNA get a Fox deal? Does Peacock maintain their deal with WWE, or does that eventually die? Does Netflix basically become the home of the defunct 'WWE Network'? Just a whole bunch of really wild implications and possibilities. It feels like pro wrestling is changing quicker than anyone can really keep up with it these days. So much happening in every direction...

https://about.netflix.com/en/news/netflix-to-become-new-home-of-wwe-raw-beginning-2025

Edited by Generations

On 1/23/2024 at 2:17 PM, PaperThinWalls said:

This shit is so scattered now. lol RAW on Netflix. SD on USA. NXT on CW. What about PPVs/PLEs? What are they on?

Peacock but it's actually worth it for WWE and WCW aficionados. Netflix... eh. It makes no sense and is so random. Isn't Peacock part of NBC, part of the company that WWE usually works with in terms of cable? 

On 1/23/2024 at 10:10 AM, Generations said:

Netflix has zero experience with live-streaming.

Apparently not many know, but they live-streamed a handful of events last year, starting with Chris Rock's Selective Outrage special. How they deal with a weekly show and PPVs remains to be seen

7 hours ago, M3J said:

Peacock but it's actually worth it for WWE and WCW aficionados. Netflix... eh. It makes no sense and is so random. Isn't Peacock part of NBC, part of the company that WWE usually works with in terms of cable? 

I have Peacock. The only reason I have it is because of WWE. lol I was thinking I could get rid of it because of the new Netflix deal but apparently I can’t if I still want the PPVs.

I'm still wondering if someone who has Netflix could use a vpn for the WWE content, or if it somehow wouldn't work with live streaming. - If you used a vpn, you could potentially cancel Peacock and use only Netflix for Raw, SD, NXT, and the PLEs...but only if it would work with streaming. I really don't know.

6 hours ago, Generations said:

I'm still wondering if someone who has Netflix could use a vpn for the WWE content, or if it somehow wouldn't work with live streaming. - If you used a vpn, you could potentially cancel Peacock and use only Netflix for Raw, SD, NXT, and the PLEs...but only if it would work with streaming. I really don't know.

What's a vpn?

Isn't wwe also on Hulu?

Edited by Senex Beast

17 minutes ago, Senex Beast said:

What's a vpn?

Isn't wwe also on Hulu?

VPN = virtual private network. It's used to keep your data safe online, but people also use them to manually change the location of their IP address...so they can set it to look like they're in a country outside of the US, and that allows them to watch content on services that offer different stuff outside of the US. - People have done this for years...and it works great. I just don't know if it would work with something that is live. (In theory, I don't see why not).

WWE does have content on Hulu...but it's incredibly limited, and I think it gets added about a week after it airs or something. I think it's only Smackdown, NXT, and an abridged version of Raw that is cut down to reduce time. Or maybe they stopped doing Raw entirely...I don't know.

Edited by Generations

4 minutes ago, Generations said:

VPN = virtual private network. It's used to keep your data safe online, but people also use them to manually change the location of their IP address...so they can set it to look like they're in a country outside of the US, and that allows them to watch content on services that offer different stuff outside of the US. - People have done this for years...and it works great. I just don't know if it would work with something that is live. (In theory, I don't see why not).

Ooh how do you get one?

Edited by Senex Beast

2 minutes ago, Senex Beast said:

Ooh how do you get one?

Some web browsers have them built in...they merely need to be turned on or off.

Or you can subscribe to one like any other service. There are free ones and paid ones.

Edited by Generations

13 hours ago, PaperThinWalls said:

I have Peacock. The only reason I have it is because of WWE. lol I was thinking I could get rid of it because of the new Netflix deal but apparently I can’t if I still want the PPVs.

I feel like they're trying to work with each other to force people to subscribe to different services. But no more Raw on USA? Feels so weird.

Guess we'll have to at least find a way to get Peacock for free. smh 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Austin3035 said:

one thing wwe very good at is making major money making deals but i wonder right when they go to netflix they wont have and ad money coming in

Netflix has ads in the cheaper tier.

If there are ad deals in place with WWE...I assume they would just run during that time (for the subscribers who don't pay for ad-free). Or...if those would be Netflix' own ads, then  yeah...WWE might just not get ad revenue for Raw. I'm sure they would still have the sponsored matches and stuff, though. We might see more ads on guardrails and match-up graphics. Not a great change...but that might be what happens.