Jump to content

WWE 2K24: Finish Your Story (Official Info/Discussion Thread)


Jeb ★
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, SaturnT3 said:

October was 4 months ago. I just don't think they can bang characters out that quickly. They've certainly never squeaked out a new character that quickly in the past. Last year every new character had been on TV for over a year. I'd love to be wrong, but past precedent shows it's not realistic to expect people who (re)debuted that recently. It's not like they can just use their models from before the reset.

so in other words, don't expect CM Punk either

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Mr.Dreadful said:

so in other words, don't expect CM Punk either

I'll be pleasantly surprised if Punk is on the roster in any form. It would be the fastest they've ever added a new wrestler to a game in the series by a wide margin. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bobby Lashley re-debuted for WWE in April 2018 and was in WWE 2K19 in the November 2018’s DLC pack a month after the game released, which is 32 weeks after Bobby came back. If we apply the same time frame for CM Punk’s Survivor Series return that would take us to the first week of July, which if the DLC release schedule is similar to last years that will be around the time the fourth of five DLC packs will be releasing. So yeah, they could absolutely get him in as DLC. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, GuntherMark said:

Bobby Lashley re-debuted for WWE in April 2018 and was in WWE 2K19 in the November 2018’s DLC pack a month after the game released, which is 32 weeks after Bobby came back. If we apply the same time frame for CM Punk’s Survivor Series return that would take us to the first week of July, which if the DLC release schedule is similar to last years that will be around the time the fourth of five DLC packs will be releasing. So yeah, they could absolutely get him in as DLC. 

That was right around the normal cutoff for the roster. Re-debuting 6 months before release is very different than re-debuting less than 4 months before release. There's absolutely no reason to believe they do things like mo-cap and audio for DLC after release. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it very different considering they do more DLC packs that release over a longer period of time now? There’s no reason to believe, other than cynicism, they can’t get Punk in as DLC. The point is it’s completely up to them, their hands aren’t tied, there’s more than enough time to do it. If they don’t it’ll be a joke considering how big of a star he is. 

Edited by GuntherMark
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, GuntherMark said:

Is it very different considering they do more DLC packs that release over a longer period of time now? There’s no reason to believe, other than cynicism, they can’t get Punk in as DLC. The point is it’s completely up to them, their hands aren’t tied, there’s more than enough time to do it. If they don’t it’ll be a joke considering how big of a star he is. 

If mo-cap wrapped in October, it's perfectly reasonable that they can't do mo-cap for someone who signed in November. How long they release DLC after release is irrelevant. They've said on the record that once the game releases they move on to the next game. That's why the late debuts people think doing character packs as DLC allows never materialize. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GuntherMark said:

They mocapped the Fiend's Summerslam entrance and moves in less than four months, they can mocap a CM Punk entrance now which is all they need since all his moves are in the game. 

 

Even if you think they did the mo-cap that late that year (I think they just took an entrance with him carrying his lantern and put in a new lantern) 2K20 isn't exactly a shining example of what they should do. They tried to cram a lot into their development window that year, and the result was an unfinished game so buggy they had to punt the next game to get the series back on track. 2K20 isn't an example of what they can do, it's an example of what happens when they try to cram too much into their developmental cycle. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, SaturnT3 said:

Even if you think they did the mo-cap that late that year (I think they just took an entrance with him carrying his lantern and put in a new lantern) 2K20 isn't exactly a shining example of what they should do. They tried to cram a lot into their development window that year, and the result was an unfinished game so buggy they had to punt the next game to get the series back on track. 2K20 isn't an example of what they can do, it's an example of what happens when they try to cram too much into their developmental cycle. 

They had mocapped moves he debuted in the Summerslam match. 2K20 wasn't bad because they put extra effort in to get the Fiend in. The point is they can do it if they want to and considering he would easily be the biggest reason to get the DLC they would be stupid not to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People are misremembering 2K20, the reason why 2k20 went to hell so fast was because of Yukes leaving/being relieved of duty (depends on who you ask) and Visual Concepts having to pick up the slack with no time, an unfeasible release date schedule, and of course the bad code.

 

But I believe the Fiend being DLC and out the gate so soon from debut was because it was a team effort between Bray, 2K  and WWE. 2K probably had the inside track on the entrance and the motions and the trons before debut because they were told in advance, shown the designs, etc. A lot easier to get things done when you got a few tips in advance. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GuntherMark said:

They had mocapped moves he debuted in the Summerslam match. 2K20 wasn't bad because they put extra effort in to get the Fiend in. The point is they can do it if they want to and considering he would easily be the biggest reason to get the DLC they would be stupid not to.

You mean the Mandible Claw? Again, I think they just had a Mandible Claw animation and applied it to him. They do stuff like that all the time. We're also comparing making tweaks to an existing wrestler with adding a completely new wrestler. Apples and oranges.

 

Look, I'm not hoping Punk doesn't make the game. I'm not even saying he definitely won't be in the game. I'm just saying if you get your hopes up and wind up being let down, that's kind of on you. all signs point to him not making the cut. I'd love to be wrong, but I have realistic expectations. If he's not in, it's because they couldn't include him at an acceptable level of quality, not because they "just don't want to".

2 hours ago, judas priest superstar said:

People are misremembering 2K20, the reason why 2k20 went to hell so fast was because of Yukes leaving/being relieved of duty (depends on who you ask) and Visual Concepts having to pick up the slack with no time, an unfeasible release date schedule, and of course the bad code.

 

But I believe the Fiend being DLC and out the gate so soon from debut was because it was a team effort between Bray, 2K  and WWE. 2K probably had the inside track on the entrance and the motions and the trons before debut because they were told in advance, shown the designs, etc. A lot easier to get things done when you got a few tips in advance. 

2K20 went to hell because they tried to do more than they could complete within their developmental limitations. When Patrick Gilmore did him AMA, he all but came out and said this. When asked about 2K20, he said:

 

Quote

I joined the team several months after WWE2K20 shipped, so I might not have a satisfying answer to that question. Having said that, I’m deeply sympathetic and impressed with the level of effort and dedication that went into the game. Game development is not an exact science. There are tons of projections, estimations and tradeoffs that don’t always come together the way you hoped. Often—very often, actually—the primary tension is between the ambition you have for a project, and your ability to achieve the full scope of that ambition. I think 2K20 had a very ambitious team that was passionate about delivering something awesome—and big—to the community.

2 hours ago, glennsoe said:

They also mocapped the Axe Guilitine Driver remember...

Still waiting for it though....

If I remember correctly, they dropped that mo-cap BTS video in like May. It included Torpedo Moscow...which was a DLC move. I think people underestimate how far in advance things like mo-cap are done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nope not just the mandible claws, which were mocapped for him but he had been doing for months at that point, but he also had his choking headbutt, Fiendish Uranage, the head wrenches and the rebound headbutt which were all moves from the Summerslam match. 

 

And no, with the possible exception of the uranage, these weren’t moves he was doing pre-Fiend. 

Edited by GuntherMark
Link to comment
Share on other sites

CM Punk might not be DLC, it’s entirely possible. All I’m saying is if they want him to be in the DLC he can be,  they’ve made exceptions before, they have eight months from his re-debut to the final DLC month. They absolutely can get him in, and he would be by far and away the biggest DLC draw they could have. This isn’t Emma, or Tegan Nox or any of the other no names that missed out on 2K23 DLC. This is one of the biggest stars of all time. Maybe they see as being more valuable for 2K25, it’s possible. The point is it’s a choice, their arms aren’t tied. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, judas priest superstar said:

If 2k20's team was ambitious...then i wonder if they were ambitious to fail miserably. A DLC rollout that was all reskins of on roster characters and fantasy crap?

Bad idea there guys.

I think they greatly underestimated the job they were taking on when they got rid of Yuke's. It's like they bought a house and thought they could fix it up themselves. How hard can replacing the carpeting be? But when they ripped up the carpet, they discovered the floorboards were rotted out. And then when they ripped up the floorboards, they found that the foundation was cracked. All of a sudden, they're in way over their heads, especially with a deadline.

That's part of why I don't see them playing with fire by adding things to their workload well into the development cycle. We're talking about them trying to add a wrestler who just had his first televised match since returning two weeks ago. You'll notice they didn't commit themselves to a date on the WM40 arena, because they don't know what it is yet. It'd be very risky to put themselves behind the 8 ball like that. The first step of development is planning. Plans don't do much good if you rip them up and try to add more to your plate 2/3 of the way through development.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...